Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

By the way, I finally got it finished!  I've got an oyster stout in there now and also a NE IPA.  There's also room for a nitro tap if I want to add that before next fall.  I imagine the Pumpkin Ale would taste pretty good on nitro.

54258529475__366D20F3-1D10-4E53-88E9-F588309BAA06.JPG.61ddf6b91d0fb7e640733b083418e4d4.JPG

7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

So Ellinwood is over?  Cool.

Did you see my keezer build on the previous page?

I hadn’t...but I just looked.

That’s fantastic! Really tight collar build, and it looks like you put Perlicks on there. And I like the extra touches with the opener and bin for caps. I still need to get the tray on mine - just haven’t had the time! Have I posted any pictures of mine? I don’t remember...

How’d the NE IPA turn out?!

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Where have you been? Storm ended hours ago. ULL dried up and coastal low disintegrated. The stuff you see falling from the sky are the ashes from the Euro after it burst into flames last night. 

Sure it’s snowing but it seems obvious this overhyped CCB is going to underperform from the model projections of the last few days. Of course even 3-4 inches of snow at 30 degrees this time of year is impressive. 

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

I hadn’t...but I just looked.

That’s fantastic! Really tight collar build, and it looks like you put Perlicks on there. And I like the extra touches with the opener and bin for caps. I still need to get the tray on mine - just haven’t had the time! Have I posted any pictures of mine? I don’t remember...

How’d the NE IPA turn out?!

Thanks, man.  Yeah, you showed me yours and gave some good tips, but post it again.  I remember yours looking like something I'd want in my living room.  

I went with a "permanent" collar unlike yours  I like the idea of a removable collar, but this was pretty easy and if the freezer craps out on me, it's an easy build for the next one.  I used gorilla construction adhesive and then filled in the areas between the freezing and collar by using it like a caulk.  Super easy and clean lines with a little painters tape, not to mention that I can pick up the freezer from the collar.  That stuff is strong.  I used the same thing mounting the wood for the tray and cap collector because I was afraid of drilling and hitting a cooling line.  And yes, perlicks for the taps, and a taprite three way regulator on the inside so I can control each keg's pressure.

The IPA got kegged just a couple of days ago and I forced carbed it so it's not really ready yet, but it tasted so good going into the keg from the fermenter.  Lot of tangerine flavor and the addition of gypsum and calcium chloride to the water tastes awesome.

Really need to get together with some of the other brewers on here.

I just came up with a good idea - you know how on FB video and Periscope and such it shows what comments were said at what point in the video? 

What if we created radar loops for snowstorm/major weather events that showed what posters made comments at exactly each timestamp on the radar loop. It could be good for some laughs. 

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Where have you been? Storm ended hours ago. ULL dried up and coastal low disintegrated. The stuff you see falling from the sky are the ashes from the Euro after it burst into flames last night. 

I mean, it still hasn’t started here. It’s pretty much a carbon copy of snowquester in my little neck of MoCo anyway. But this is underperforming here, we will be lucky to see an inch unless we get in a band. Oh well, time to stop caring and enjoy the day off. 

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Sure it’s snowing but it seems obvious this overhyped CCB is going to underperform from the model projections of the last few days. Of course even 3-4 inches of snow at 30 degrees this time of year is impressive. 

You know enough to have seen that we weren’t getting widespread 12”+ out of the mappy-Hoffman zone. Widespread warning criteria still seems like a solid forecast and hasn’t really changed for the last 48-72 hours.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

To be real the Euro should probably be burned to the ground for how bad it's failed this winter.

But yes, getting wonderful snow right now. Only the main road is not caved yet, all side roads are under white now.

Just now, NattyBo said:

I mean, it still hasn’t started here. It’s pretty much a carbon copy of snowquester in my little neck of MoCo anyway. But this is underperforming here, we will be lucky to see an inch unless we get in a band. Oh well, time to stop caring and enjoy the day off. 

You must be on a main road - my small dead end street gave up very quickly. Snowing very nicely here and has been for a while now. Guess you are under a local minimum right now. 

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

You know enough to have seen that we weren’t getting widespread 12”+ out of the mappy-Hoffman zone. Widespread warning criteria still seems like a solid forecast and hasn’t really changed for the last 48-72 hours.

100% this. I hope nobody bought into some of the printouts of 10+ widespread. I think the original warning text for the metro areas of 4-8 still looks fine with obviously the lower end being the most likely in the city. With how nice radar looks, I don't think I'll have any issue measuring 5 inches at some point later on. 

Just now, Kmlwx said:

You must be on a main road - my small dead end street gave up very quickly. Snowing very nicely here and has been for a while now. Guess you are under a local minimum right now. 

I’m about .9 mil  from Twinbrook metro station, to the north of it. Not on a main road.

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks, man.  Yeah, you showed me yours and gave some good tips, but post it again.  I remember yours looking like something I'd want in my living room.  

I went with a "permanent" collar unlike yours  I like the idea of a removable collar, but this was pretty easy and if the freezer craps out on me, it's an easy build for the next one.  I used gorilla construction adhesive and then filled in the areas between the freezing and collar by using it like a caulk.  Super easy and clean lines with a little painters tape, not to mention that I can pick up the freezer from the collar.  That stuff is strong.  I used the same thing mounting the wood for the tray and cap collector because I was afraid of drilling and hitting a cooling line.  And yes, perlicks for the taps, and a taprite three way regulator on the inside so I can control each keg's pressure.

The IPA got kegged just a couple of days ago and I forced carbed it so it's not really ready yet, but it tasted so good going into the keg from the fermenter.  Lot of tangerine flavor and the addition of gypsum and calcium chloride to the water tastes awesome.

Really need to get together with some of the other brewers on here.

Sweet! I agree that a permanent collar would make it a pretty easy build. I found that overall the build wasn’t that difficult - just time-consuming.

Gotta love when a beer tastes great when you’re packaging it. Makes cracking that first one so much sweeter!

I’d love to get together at some point. Tough right now with the infant and my wife doing her freelance work on the weekends, but time will eventually free up (right?). :lol:

I’ll post a new picture when I get a chance a little later...

1 minute ago, NattyBo said:

I’m about .9 mil  from Twinbrook metro station, to the north of it. Not on a main road.

Gotcha. Yeah there's a small little hole in the returns over Rockville. It will be fine as the other stuff moves over you. It won't be snowquester for you.

37 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I love Key Lime pie. Have you ever been to the Keys before? There’s nothing like Key Lime pies with fresh key lime. My gf and tried tried to replicate a famous key like recipe from a restaurant down there before. Tasted good, but fresh squeezed lime compared to a bottle doesn’t do it justice.

Yes I have been to Key West. I use Nelly and Joe’s Key Lime juice when I make them. They sell it in Key West and you can get it here. Also I do a merangue vs. whipped cream on top. The two textures together are fantastic!

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Gotcha. Yeah there's a small little hole in the returns over Rockville. It will be fine as the other stuff moves over you. It won't be snowquester for you.

OW90vaT.jpg

Just so you can see I'm not exaggerating :-)  I'm rooting for everyone to do well, just been burned by March in the past.  Like I said, free day off so it's all house money for me at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Yes I have been to Key West. I use Nelly and Joe’s Key Lime juice when I make them. They sell it in Key West and you can get it here. Also I do a merangue vs. whipped cream on top. The two textures together are fantastic!

Yup. We use Nelly and Joe's too! I may have to ask you to virtually send me a slice today :lol:. Enjoy baking!

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

He isn't wrong though. Something can pretty much bust but still produce something, which is what's going to happen here. Less than 24 hours ago, models were putting out big totals, people were talking about intense snowfall rates, some thunder sleet and thunder snow, the CCB just dumping, etc. None of that is happening or going to happen. It will be a nice little storm for late March, but it's basically a huge disappointment when compared to how it was hyped/modeled/forecasted leading in.

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

He isn't wrong though. Something can pretty much bust but still produce something, which is what's going to happen here. Less than 24 hours ago, models were putting out big totals, people were talking about intense snowfall rates, some thunder sleet and thunder snow, the CCB just dumping, etc. None of that is happening or going to happen. It will be a nice little storm for late March, but it's basically a huge disappointment when compared to how it was hyped/modeled/forecasted leading in.

I mean - I haven't looked at soundings, but given how fierce radar looks right now - I wouldn't rule out a rumble of thunder or two. It's early and radar has been improving all morning. We are going to get great rates throughout the day it seems. 

Anybody who thought they were getting 12+ had very high expectations of this storm. I think a lot of folks all along were hammering away at the 4-10 range. 

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I mean - I haven't looked at soundings, but given how fierce radar looks right now - I wouldn't rule out a rumble of thunder or two. It's early and radar has been improving all morning. We are going to get great rates throughout the day it seems. 

Anybody who thought they were getting 12+ had very high expectations of this storm. I think a lot of folks all along were hammering away at the 4-10 range. 

I guarantee you Arlington/DC won't see 4 inches, let alone 3.

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

I thought we had a shot at double digits for sure, especially when the Euro and HRDPS were going nuts (even if you cut those in half you still got 10 inches or so), but all along figured a 6-10 was the more likely outcome. I guess we could still reach that threshold. It's finally started to pick up a bit here. I don't see 10 but 6 or so is still within reach.

1 minute ago, snjókoma said:

I guarantee you Arlington/DC won't see 4 inches, let alone 3.

Well I'm glad not everyone lives just in those two locations. It's a big area...

Plus, Deck Pic and others have been over the fact time and time again that DCA and places like the Mall can vary a ton in snow events compared to areas in NW DC. Somebody in NW will probably measure enough for warning criteria. 

15 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

1”/hr isn’t intense?

This will be my last post on the ridiculous expectations game. Try to enjoy today. It’s a freaking KU storm.

Archived