Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

I have an interview with a prestigious ballet company today in the city so I was hoping for a rain check on the snow, but I do certainly understand peoples' frustrations.  

If this doesn't verify (as it appears it won't), where does it rank among historical busts? 

Pretty bad. I think the worsts busts were March 2013 (“Snowquester”) and March 2001 (which was before my time but apparently it was a blizzard that became a dusting instead).

But good luck with the interview!

I have an interview with a prestigious ballet company today in the city so I was hoping for a rain check on the snow, but I do certainly understand peoples' frustrations.  
If this doesn't verify (as it appears it won't), where does it rank among historical busts? 

Good luck with the interview!

35 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I remember people freaking out on Feb 10 in 2010. Radar looked bad, people called a bust, but then wouldn’t you know, the next morning the snow exploded and a lot of those people who whined about it had 15-20” of snow 24 hours later.

I have no idea how this will turn out, but whining about it won’t change the outcome. The weather will do what it does, regardless.

Feb 10 was also a storm that NWS nailed, steady entire time  forecasting   big totals and refused to back down, even as many local weather professionals became skeptical it would happen and began slashing predicted totals a day beforehand. In the end, NWS forecast was largely perfect and it won huge kudos. Big difference now, though, is that was early Feb. This is late March. Waking up to no snow has got to cause you to lean toward this staying a pretty major bust

The weenie panic meltdowns during the lull were probably the most predicatable part of the storm. You would think that it all went to crap and we were just getting flurries.

Radar looks primed to me and the models generally agree on accumulations of 4-8" for most of the region with some possible upside for the lucky ones to get into a good band.

SMH at all you weenies losing your mind, lol.

Ive been reading the various iterations of this forum since 2009 and I love you guys, but after reading those posts overnight I'm just going to say Im glad some of you have a hobby, because otherwise  I think we'd be hearing about you on a true crime podcast with a refrigerator full of neatly arranged heads.

3 minutes ago, real said:

Feb 10 was also a storm that NWS nailed, stayed already with big totals and refused to back down, even as many local weather professionals became skeptical it would happen and began slashing predicted totals a day beforehand. In the end, NWS forecast was largely perfect. Big difference now, though, is that was early Feb. This is late March. Waking up to no snow has got to cause you to lean toward this staying a pretty major bust

I’m skeptical of the 12”+ that LWX was predicting for my area last night, but I think we still have a chance to salvage this storm even if it isn’t quite historic. I’m not giving up yet, but if you end up being right, then oh well, it’s March 21.

Pretty bad. I think the worsts busts were March 2013 (“Snowquester”) and March 2001 (which was before my time but apparently it was a blizzard that became a dusting instead).
But good luck with the interview!
I'm trying to remember which storm was the Pamela Anderson Storm (ie, really big bust). It might have been way back in the ne.weather days.

I very well could be wrong. And should clarify i am referring to city. Suburbs may do fine. But I am now  skeptical rates will ever be enough in core DC to overcome the UHI. Maybe, hopefully, but it really does take a lot to accomplish that in late March

I don’t have to go to work today, so this day has started off as a win. I’ll roll with whatever snow I get now, and enjoy the day with the family!

Enjoy the day Mattie. Hopefully you can get a solid sledding base for the kids today. A few good brews and snow is all one could ask for today

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I don’t have to go to work today, so this day has started off as a win. I’ll roll with whatever snow I get now, and enjoy the day with the family!

By the way, I finally got it finished!  I've got an oyster stout in there now and also a NE IPA.  There's also room for a nitro tap if I want to add that before next fall.  I imagine the Pumpkin Ale would taste pretty good on nitro.

54258529475__366D20F3-1D10-4E53-88E9-F588309BAA06.JPG.61ddf6b91d0fb7e640733b083418e4d4.JPG

The Key Lime pie that I was going to make yesterday did not get done. So the eldest child is going to do it today and I am going to do Thumbprint cookies. 
Snow has picked up here in just the last 30 min. 

I love Key Lime pie. Have you ever been to the Keys before? There’s nothing like Key Lime pies with fresh key lime. My gf and tried tried to replicate a famous key like recipe from a restaurant down there before. Tasted good, but fresh squeezed lime compared to a bottle doesn’t do it justice.

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Enjoy the day Mattie. Hopefully you can get a solid sledding base for the kids today. A few good brews and snow is all one could ask for today emoji2.png

Thanks, Millville! Wife bought some bubbly yesterday in preparation for mimosas, and I have a Bourbon County Brand Stout ready as an afternoon sipper, and may have to dip into something else if things go well. Would make taking the 5-year-old sledding a real treat! :lol:

Enjoy your day, too!

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It feels pretty clear now where this one is headed. If you cleaned up today, you might hit 8-10 storm total if everything breaks your way tomorrow.

If you have 1-3 inches now, expect to maybe get to 5 tomorrow.

If you have wet streets or some slush, maybe 1-3 tomorrow.

I have felt all day like tomorrow was being oversold. It will need to come down in buckets for a sustained period of time for the majority of the current forecasts to work out. LWX now has 10+ across a very large part of the CWA which is nuts outside of a thin strip near the PA border.

Bumping my forecast. 

Thanks, Millville! Wife bought some bubbly yesterday in preparation for mimosas, and I have a Bourbon County Brand Stout ready as an afternoon sipper, and may have to dip into something else if things go well. Would make taking the 5-year-old sledding a real treat! :lol:
Enjoy your day, too!

Sounds awesome! I get to work from home later today, but I’ll probably sip on something late this morning. Thinking of breaking out the Eliot Ness I got stowed away for such an occasion. Either that, or a little spiked hot coco would do the trick. No matter what happens with this storm in terms of accumulation, it’s snowing and I’m gonna enjoy every minute of it.

7 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Sounds awesome! I get to work from home later today, but I’ll probably sip on something late this morning. Thinking of breaking out the Eliot Ness I got stowed away for such an occasion. Either that, or a little spiked hot coco would do the trick. No matter what happens with this storm in terms of accumulation, it’s snowing and I’m gonna enjoy every minute of it.

I like the way you’re thinking!

Archived