SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a lot of fun to track.  I’m super excited about the possibility of a HECS, but I always get really anxious at this point.  I have convinced myself and my friends that this is actually happening and I will completely crash if it doesn’t.  I have a ton of respect for meteorologists who actually do this for a living and have to have thick skin to do this daily.  

8 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

On another note...

Folks...It's looking more like the Farmer's Almanac nailed this down almost to the day... except it did not specify ptype) Bur it said specifically:

"March 20-23: A major storm brings strong winds and heavy precipitation." Wow...When they get it right, HOW in the WORLD do they do that???

I can't tell whether you're serious or not...

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

So what’s everyone’s stay up plan? Late tonight to catch the first hit of the 2nd wave, or wake up early in the thick of it?

I'm staying up for as long as I can. Hyped up on caffeine. Once in a decade (or longer) late March snowstorm, and probably the last storm of the winter. 

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I kinda am, actually...Again, they certainly don't get it right all the time, but when they do...it kinda blows me away!

7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I mean, that is pretty impressive. Not gonna lie. 

Well their description was reasonably vague, and picking 4 days in March and saying there's a "major storm" without a p-type or totals or anything...that's a pretty reasonable guess to make.  I'd bet you could get that to verify reasonably often.

And then, y'know, insert the standard spiel about confirmation bias here.

1 minute ago, DSF said:

Well their description was reasonably vague, and picking 4 days in March and saying there's a "major storm" without a p-type or totals or anything...that's a pretty reasonable guess to make.  I'd bet you could get that to verify reasonably often.

True!! All I had in my memory is times where it was mentioned in February/January about storm windows that happened, but that's about it.

9 minutes ago, DSF said:

Nah, they've hit on a few other things this year (got the first Nor'Easter thus month correct as well: "Another northeast snowstorm! 1-2 feet possible" 

That was correct...but just not for us, lol (but the zone is "Northeast" so it covers all of that).

They also accurately predicted the President's Day weekend snow we got (they were even specific and said "6 inches" we down here didn't get that much, but some folks further north did. They also said the storm would sweep in from the Midwest: and it did!)

There were one or two other instances this year as well...Point is, sometimes they can hit it down to the day AND detail and it's quite amazing

Ok. I’m torn.  Reason to stay up all night, or wake in the middle for rippage? I just want a reason to sled at 2am. Just pray @WxUSAFis stil not on top of his hill naked and afraid. I can’t see that again. Ever. :lol:

Eta: Let’s Gooooooo Caaaaaaaps!!! That Ovi guy. He’s pretty good. Boom!! 3-2!!

Archived