Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, zippity said:

I’m a southerner who will be visiting Washington, DC Wednesday. Yay! It rarely snows where I live.

Am I correct to assume that DC and suburbs are well-equipped with snow removal equipment and the roads won’t shut down or be impassible?

we were going to fly general avaiation, but since that not possible will be driving a 4-wheel drive vehicle and will bring snow chains just in case.

No but seriously...we're pretty good at keeping the major arteries open for anything under 8" or so.  North of that, eh...equal chances.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, zippity said:

I’m a southerner who will be visiting Washington, DC Wednesday. Yay! It rarely snows where I live.

Am I correct to assume that DC and suburbs are well-equipped with snow removal equipment and the roads won’t shut down or be impassible?

we were going to fly general avaiation, but since that not possible will be driving a 4-wheel drive vehicle and will bring snow chains just in case.

Yes, dc, md and va can handle this pretty well, as long as everyone doesn’t get on the roads at the same time as the heavy snow starts, it’s happened and it has shut down the city.  Hopefully schools and the gov shut down.

1 minute ago, zippity said:

IIRC DC and surrounding burbs are pretty good about snow. I'm hoping the roads are brined enough to hold off any accums in the early AM when I'll be on I95 + 270. Just be glad you aren't visiting Baltimore City. Most of the small streets here haven't seen a plough since they were farm fields in the 1800's 

IIRC DC and surrounding burbs are pretty good about snow. I'm hoping the roads are brined enough to hold off any accums in the early AM when I'll be on I95 + 270. Just be glad you aren't visiting Baltimore City. Most of the small streets here haven't seen a plough since they were farm fields in the 1800's 
Brine won't do anything with as much rain is leading the storm

9 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It's funny that yall don't have him on ignore.  I swear to God, he is the only poster I have on ignore.   I'm talking like....EVER.  Since about 2011.  Like the only member on Amwx I ever had ignore..  Dead serious.  I only see his **** when yall quote it.

I don't think he is trolling he is just really really really pessimistic all the time. But it's too much. And I'm pretty pessimistic. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I've finally achieved full consensus for 6"+ on the gefs lol. All 20 members plus the control. Victory. 

Remember when a few days ago you were complaining about getting fringed while DC would get hit with the most snow? Good times lol

IMBY ?  ...I have a 430 flight out of Dulles Thurs afternoon that I am confident about...but friends have a 6am to Jackson Hole.  If this wraps up midnight I would assume flights would only have a slight delay but would you play it safe and sleep at airport hotel weds night in case area roads suck in am?  Traveling from Sterling so not far...

4 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

IMBY ?  ...I have a 430 flight out of Dulles Thurs afternoon that I am confident about...but friends have a 6am to Jackson Hole.  If this wraps up midnight I would assume flights would only have a slight delay but would you play it safe and sleep at airport hotel weds night in case area roads suck in am?  Traveling from Sterling so not far...

So, if you've ever been to an airport and noticed the parking lot etc is cleared but runways look like $hit.. Thats because subcontractors know what they're doing and unfortunately due to air traffic control only certified in house personnel can actually plow the interior airfield. Early and late flights will be the least delayed because there is less air traffic (more plow time). It takes a village

11 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

Sleep in airport hotel, if only to avoid the stress of wondering if roads will allow you to make the flight on time.

Didn't want to put this in the storm thread, but I kinda disagree with the people saying soil temps don't matter at all for accums. Heat transport says otherwise. Say soil conductivity is 1.5 W/m*k (depends on sand/clay ratio but whatev). Then Heat is conducted at a rate of 1.5 * (dT/dZ) Watts/meter. Assume that rain reaches 2in depth before the storm, with a previous soil temp of 52 degrees (obviously not relevent here, this is just for example). With snow interface at 32 degrees, dT/dZ = (20degKelvin/.051m) =392 kelvin/meter. That gives 1.5 * 392 = 588W/m final conductivity . 32 degree snow melts at about 334000 J/kg. So with one watt being a joule/second and an inch of snow/meter being about 2.5 kg you have about 2.7inches/hour of snowmelt from pure conductive heat transport. Obviously this slows down throughout the storm as the soil cools, but still. 

Hope the AM rain cools this sucker down. 

Just drive to the airport, main roads will be fine. Its march.. state will scrape while spreading and any snow after the initial push will have a hard time sticking. In 2016 i was driving through 2ft because the county and state shutdown (losers) but i still had to check on my sites. 

I own a landscape business, snow removal is my winter business. Soil temp doesn't matter, asphalt temp does. Asphalt holds heat soil doesn't.. soil thaws and freezes on a typical winter day but asphalt will hold its heat until cooled which takes much longer than soil. But, i get your point. Soil also has water content to help with cooling 

Archived