Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Temp has fallen to 52 here after a high of 59, but we are losing the clear skies.  I have heard cirrus called ‘mare’s tails’ but I have never seen a better example than this:

7BC21F54-C597-47C6-9A1F-12C9079C3603.jpeg.ce5650bcf75dcac89069014b7e4fb4bb.jpeg

Great pic! 

2 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Maybe I am not using the term appropriately.

8 inches in late March in Bel Air, to me, is a HECS.

I know it isn't in the traditional sense......

But when would  that have happened last this late in the year? I imagine its been a very long time. Hence it would be historical.

IMO anything 6"+ this late in the season is historical

which makes the 21" BWI recorded on March 28-29th (I think) 1942 even more exceptional. 

8 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

That's pretty cool. I never see that. Suspended ice crystals?

I guess so.  The crappy cell phone pic didn't do justice to how cool the sky looked.  I have jokingly called this area "big sky country" since moving here from the Md, 'burbs.  Guess it's the wide-open spaces.

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

Great pic! 

Thanks !

14 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Despite being old enough to be able to have memories of the winter (5th grade at the time), I have no recollection of the winter whatsoever. Only really got into this hobby in 6th grade (which was fine enough for me to enjoy Feb & March 2015)

i actually thought it would feel a little more mild today.  i just shot some hoops outside for 30-40 mins with a light jacket and barely broke a sweat.  what i also like is that it felt dry.  i have a hunch that the northern tier will do well with this storm for the first part.

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Instead of doing a snowfall contest we should place bets on who cancels the storm and gets reaped first. I know who my scythe's pointed toward money's on.

The dry slot.  It will happen and people will freak.  Wave 1 will move away and wave 2 will be slow to materialize.  Despite the set up hardly anything goes as planned.  I’m ready for it.  Go ahead dry slot me.  I can handle it.  

17 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Maybe I am not using the term appropriately.

8 inches in late March in Bel Air, to me, is a HECS.

I know it isn't in the traditional sense......

But when would  that have happened last this late in the year? I imagine its been a very long time. Hence it would be historical.

2014 had a big one on St Patrick’s day for a lot of the area. I think 1999 had a few big ones in mid March. 1993 and 1958 were obviously historic, but sometimes moderate events can happen even in the second half of the month.

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Despite being old enough to be able to have memories of the winter (5th grade at the time), I have no recollection of the winter whatsoever. Only really got into this hobby in 6th grade (which was fine enough for me to enjoy Feb & March 2015

Wow... I didn’t realize you were that young. I also got into weather when I was in 6th grade, which was actually one of the worst winters ever (2001-02), but the following winter was amazing and it helped keep me interested for a long time afterwards. So because of that, I remember PDII much more clearly than, say, January 2000.

Archived