Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 23-24 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Temps have risen a few degrees this evening up to 34.  There's been some additional melting/compaction, with snow depth generally around 8" now.  It's a VERY dense 8" though.  I'm gonna go with 11" for here for my "official" amount.  My 9.6" from earlier was after a day's worth of melting/compaction, and there was a report from in town of 11" so I'll just go with that.  I'm confident if I could have boarded this one in an official manner we would have had 11-12"+. 

We've had heavier snows in the past, but this one will rank up there as one of my favorites to be sure.  After a pretty mediocre season (except that stretch in Feb) to get pegged by such a thread-the-needle event is truly a blessing.  Glad to see areas like Peoria, Champaign, and especially Indy get in on this action today as well.  Long overdue for you guys.  

:snowing:

Couldn't say it better myself! Amazing storm and great farewell to winter. Peoria may have broke its all time highest March snowfall record both for the day and month. Glad you got to cash in to! Now I'm ready for supercells :) lol

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Made a little clip of the first band that came through and dropped over 6" of wet snow in a little over 3hrs.  2" per hour rates as a whole, but may have had even higher rates during the heart of that band.

Wow impressive. Between I believe 3 and 4 here indys nws recorded 3 inches an hour. Never seen that here and it was a white out almost for a whole hour 

13 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's crazy. Indianapolis biggest snowstorm this winter before today was 2.0"!!! They hasn't seen a 4"+ snow in I think 3 years. Week before Easter that get a 10 incher.

Yah indy is known to have some weird backwards weather. March record for snow 30.6 inches in 1906 is our record monthly snowfall in any winter month. So indy and indiana is no stranger to big March and late season storms. 3/24-25 13 5 years ago was one also. And another crazy one was Oct 1989 9 plus inches which ended up being that seasons big snow 

39 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

Yah indy is known to have some weird backwards weather. March record for snow 30.6 inches in 1906 is our record monthly snowfall in any winter month. So indy and indiana is no stranger to big March and late season storms. 3/24-25 13 5 years ago was one also. And another crazy one was Oct 1989 9 plus inches which ended up being that seasons big snow 

The October 1989 storm is probably one of the most anomalous weather events to occur at IND.  A true shocker that has no equal or anything close to it in the month of October.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

The October 1989 storm is probably one of the most anomalous weather events to occur at IND.  A true shocker that has no equal or anything close to it in the month of October.

That was the last "real" snow I saw before moving south in Nov. of that year.  From Fl. to SC. then back to IN finally 2012.  Forgot what "real" snow was.

26 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Ouch.   Although it's nice to see Indy get a good hammering...

....while Detroit sits out on the last 2 events to effect the sub....no offense Josh;)

Lol none taken. I was at 60.3" and indy and 10.4" on March 23rd, and have no problem letting them have some love. If I'm going to miss a storm I'd rather it in late March. Now that we've shown that every event will not hit Detroit, let the next come back up this way :P

IMO kudos to the forecasters in the various offices associated with this storm.  This thing had to have been a b$%&h to forecast, especially throwing out WSW's.  While there were a few busts, most offices nailed this thing pretty good 24 to 48 hours out.  Not bad considering the model variability right up to onset and the dynamics involved that could've gone either way.  I think they did a really good job up and down that line with this thing.  Salute! :beer:

29 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

IMO kudos to the forecasters in the various offices associated with this storm.  This thing had to have been a b$%&h to forecast, especially throwing out WSW's.  While there were a few busts, most offices nailed this thing pretty good 24 to 48 hours out.  Not bad considering the model variability right up to onset and the dynamics involved that could've gone either way.  I think they did a really good job up and down that line with this thing.  Salute! :beer:

Yeah and they did a good job pointing out the areas where amounts could vary quite significantly along the northeast edge of the precip shield.  

Archived