Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 23-24 Winter Storm

Hoosier

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

How much did you end up with out that way?  Man, I wish I could have been home to measure this properly.  

Yea, me too! Wound up working the storm, but got home a few hours ago, and in several spots the avg, here in Davenport for me was in the 7"-8" range, but between several hours of sleet earlier, and some melting etc. Probably more than that fell. Also, the past few hours since I have been home has featured a steady moderate to heavy snow rate with half-dollar size flakes still ongoing. Probably a good 1/2" -1" an hr rates. What an awesome storm! 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ams30721us said:

Yea, me too! Wound up working the storm, but got home a few hours ago, and in several spots the avg, here in Davenport for me was in the 7"-8" range, but between several hours of sleet earlier, and some melting etc. Probably more than that fell. Also, the past few hours since I have been home has featured a steady moderate to heavy snow rate with half-dollar size flakes still ongoing. Probably a good 1/2" -1" an hr rates. What an awesome storm! 

If I recall an earlier quote correctly you said you were from the south and had moved up this way.  Welcome to a good midwestern spring snowstorm!

4 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

If I recall an earlier quote correctly you said you were from the south and had moved up this way.  Welcome to a good midwestern spring snowstorm!

Ha thanks! Been looking forward to a storm like this, all season. Didn't think it would be after the 50s became common again! Ha oh and it's still coming down! Incredible Lol

8 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Ha thanks! Been looking forward to a storm like this, all season. Didn't think it would be after the 50s became common again! Ha oh and it's still coming down! Incredible Lol

What a difference between yesterday's docile spring day.  The wind today really made this a raging winter storm.  Was quite surprised at how much drifting there was, given how extremely wet it was.  

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This is also going to go down as the biggest snowstorm ever at Indianapolis after March 20, surpassing the storm from just 5 years ago.

It's like sweet dessert after a rather bland winter with you guys up by I-80 having all the fun and us until today barely cracking ten inches.

30 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

What a difference between yesterday's docile spring day.  The wind today really made this a raging winter storm.  Was quite surprised at how much drifting there was, given how extremely wet it was.  

Amazing! 52 at MLI 24 hours ago at this time....Heavy snow and East winds between 30-40 mph a few hours later last night. Along with widespread thundersnow and thundersleet. Hard not to smile looking out the window this afternoon at the deep blanket of white everywhere!

13 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

DID YOU KNOW: Today now ranks as the 3rd highest single day snow total for #Indianapolis in March since 1883.

12.1" 1906 – 3/19
9.5" 1996 – 3/19
9.2" 2018 – 3/24
8.1" 2000 – 3/11
7.1" 1906 – 3/11#INwx

— John Dissauer  (@johndissauer) March 24, 2018

March 1906 was some month in Indianapolis.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

This is also going to go down as the biggest snowstorm ever at Indianapolis after March 20, surpassing the storm from just 5 years ago.

Yeah pretty wild. And almost on the EXACT same date 3/25/13. Indianapolis. Second highest one day total for the month of March with the top being March 19th 1906 at 12.1”.

4 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I find this loop amazing.  It almost looks like a wicked outflow boundary moving in from the NE.  Haven't had a flake or a drop in this storm but have seen some weird stuff and for some reason I'm enjoying it! :weenie:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=IND-N0Q-1-12

That was wicked cool to me too...and just like you, sitting on the fringes of nothing, this was entertaining to watch unfold. My only true complaint was the obnoxious east winds here today. Brutal to work out in, lol.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Had to work all day lol.

WHAT A STORM!!  Some of the heaviest wet snow I've ever seen.  When you're out walking in the falling snow it feels like rain.  Measured an average of 9.6" here, but I'm guessing at least a foot actually fell but settled.  I measured 6.4" at 5:10 am before I left for work.  That early morning band completely smoked us, and laid down a nice base.  The intense bands that moved in around 1pm and stalled were extremely intense.  

Very cool, man. Good to hear you got nailed. :D

29 minutes ago, CoachLB said:

image.jpeg

Indy knows March snowstorms. Awesome.

roads are  a mess especially over the north half of  the the PIA metro

I had 3 inches of snow on my car this morning when I left for work and none/very little on my road....when I got back there was 9-10 on my unplowed street..with cars getting stuck...at least one partial roof collapse 

reports say 9 inches in peoria city but I assume that was a final measurement after the snow stopped with lots of compacting and some melting...very dense heavy wet snow

If one would have taken a snowboard measurement every six hours and clear it and add the totals up I suspect closer to 11-12 fell ....you can tell it was very convective since I have more snow at my place then a couple of miles away

31 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

roads are  a mess especially over the north half of  the the PIA metro

I had 3 inches of snow on my car this morning when I left for work and none/very little on my road....when I got back there was 9-10 on my unplowed street..with cars getting stuck...at least one partial roof collapse 

reports say 9 inches in peoria city but I assume that was a final measurement after the snow stopped with lots of compacting and some melting...very dense heavy wet snow

If one would have taken a snowboard measurement every six hours and clear it and add the totals up I suspect closer to 11-12 fell ....you can tell it was very convective since I have more snow at my place then a couple of miles away

I totally agree. Same here. Had 4" on my car this morning. Cleared it all off. After I left work which is very near where I live I had another 5-6". So definitely in the 9-10" range. Snow compacted so we likely had more. Great banding today with snowfall rates easily at or exceeding an inch per hour. Surprised we didn't get lightning but seems like the better frontogenesis was north of here

Temps have risen a few degrees this evening up to 34.  There's been some additional melting/compaction, with snow depth generally around 8" now.  It's a VERY dense 8" though.  I'm gonna go with 11" for here for my "official" amount.  My 9.6" from earlier was after a day's worth of melting/compaction, and there was a report from in town of 11" so I'll just go with that.  I'm confident if I could have boarded this one in an official manner we would have had 11-12"+. 

We've had heavier snows in the past, but this one will rank up there as one of my favorites to be sure.  After a pretty mediocre season (except that stretch in Feb) to get pegged by such a thread-the-needle event is truly a blessing.  Glad to see areas like Peoria, Champaign, and especially Indy get in on this action today as well.  Long overdue for you guys.  

:snowing:

Archived