Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 23-24 Winter Storm

Hoosier

7 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Razor thin cutoff on the radar around IKK. Never seen anything like it. Seeing cars coming into town from the south with snow on them...and needless to say for here, nary a flake. Amazing. :D

Sounds like a lake effect type cutoff.  

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Wow, absolutely pouring right now, in DVN! True Whiteout.

That area of yellow on radar is moving over the QC area.  I've been thinking it must be pounding under that stuff.  I've been under mostly medium to occasionally bright green radar returns for the last couple hours.  The snow has been light to moderate.  I'd really like to get some better rates during the midday hours.

This is a fairly normal thing to ask if you are not used to seeing virga or radar returns that look like rain/snow but then no precipitation is happening. The radar is imperfect. The 0.5 degree elevation of the radar beam (normally used to detect rain/snow) rises above the earth, mainly due to earth's curvature. As you can see on the figure, the lowest radar beam (0.5) is detecting precipitation particles at 5000 ft- 11000 ft above ground, at a range of 80 miles. That's a prime type of distance for when the radar shows rain/snow that is evaporating, and then it tricks you. It's just not a perfect system for detecting precipitation at ground level.

13 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Cyclone must be out building snowmen/women...no updates from him in awhile. 

And we finally broke the seal here, and are getting some flakeage...so not a total shutout, lol.

I could actually count the flakes that were on my deck. Not a shutout, but damn close. Would be a bit more annoyed by this in january, but I can deal with a miss in late march

Archived