Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 23-24 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Amazed to wake up and see over 6" already.  In a lull right now, but HRRR shows another 0.75-1" of precip still to come.

Wow, that's awesome! 12"+ locked and loaded. Enjoy! :D

Won't see a flake here on the other side of things...pretty amazing cut off being so close to the action. But you win some, you lose some. :lol:

2 hours ago, ams30721us said:

Look at the slug incoming from the south west now! Oh boy! 

CODNEXLAB-1km-N_Illinois-rad-ani24-201803241000-100-100-20.gif.934d5e6f917178958d1393cc17d2f86b.gif

Wow!  (From the heavy wet cold rain end in the SPI area).

Amazing how this snowstorm is, EXACTLY 5 years later, could be a near-repeat of 3/24/13 in the SPI area (18 inches of heavy wet snow in SPI after initial forecasts of 6-9").  Albeit about 100 miles to the north.

And at the same time, just grateful here that this heavy rain wasn't occurring in 10 degrees colder weather than currently--or else a possible repeat of what started exactly 40 years ago today (3/24-26/78 Central IL ice storm).

This thing is gonna need to start pivoting ASAP, might get dry slotted. Probably have ~5”, but that’s just a guess. We’ve had a couple bouts of sleet, so that may have cut in a bit. HRRR has us getting another foot, so I guess we’ll see about that lol. I have a feeling cyclone is gonna be a massive winner in this storm if he already has 6”.

1 minute ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Dry slot closing in fast. Looks like there’s gonna be a lull. As such, probably won’t achieve the 12” total I was hoping for. 

Yea I was worrying about that myself. Wondering if this deformation band will pivot south like models are showing. Right now it seems like it is moving more east with little to no south movement 

18 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Had moderate to heavy snow with a rumble of thunder earlier this morning, although no pavement accumulation, just grassy surfaces maybe 1/2” of snow. And .. we ruined our streak for # days without a WSW for this. Just brutal. 

98626D82-9477-4311-BDF7-1F51A819CB81.jpeg

Wow that sucks. Us here in indy finally have our warning streak broke here too. Actually have about 3.5 to going on 4 inches where I'm at west side suburbs of indy. Guess I finally got lucky. I am worried some about the warm nose in central lll but it' looking like the movement here is good for me. Guessing I'll see a total of around 6-8 inches 

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Amazed to wake up and see over 6" already.  In a lull right now, but HRRR shows another 0.75-1" of precip still to come.

Definitely happy that you ended up in the bullseye of a storm like this with a narrow band of heavy snow. Not only have you been screwed for a while, you keep the complaining to a bare minimum. All the times you were laughing at how Southeast Michigan always got snow, right now we have bare brown ground and cold March sunshine. Enjoy the snow!

4 minutes ago, *IndyMeso* said:

Finally snowing at a decent rate in Noblesville and starting to stick to surfaces. About an hour ago, just 8 miles to my south, they had 1.5 inches. We had a trace. The cutoff can be harsh sometimes.

Yep this is like watching the Superbowl from the nose bleeds lol.  Glad some of the totals are over performing though, that stuffs gotta be cement blocks.  Today might set a MW record for the most snowmen!

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I see a report of 15.8" from Garner, IA.  

Wonder how Hawkeye is doing.  Looks like CID changed to freezing rain for a little while early this morning.

Yeah, the warm wedge did end up bringing sleet/mix up here and pushing the heavy snow north and east of us.  That put the big totals out of reach for us.  Of course, the Mason City area would get crushed again.  I'm sure their snow records are full of foot+ storms.

I have 5+ in my yard.  Hopefully, we can add a couple more.  It's pretty sad that a lousy 6 inches is such a difficult barrier to pass here.

6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yeah, the warm wedge did end up bringing sleet/mix up here and pushing the heavy snow north and east of us.  That put the big totals out of reach for us.  Of course, the Mason City area would get crushed again.  I'm sure their snow records are full of foot+ storms.

I have 5+ in my yard.  Hopefully, we can add a couple more.  It's pretty sad that a lousy 6 inches is such a difficult barrier to pass here.

Not what I wanted to hear :(

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Been keeping an eye on my former home of LAF, and I do wonder if that is too skimpy on the northeast edge.  They are in the middle of a decent band and upstream radar looks pretty good.

Haven't measured but looks like an inch or so is on the ground. When I woke up there were some seriously impressive rates going on

At least it appears the dry slot is not going to reach Cedar Rapids.  As the mid/upper-level low is sagging southeastward through Iowa, the east side is filling in with good snow.  We just went through a bit of a lull, but big flakes are beginning to rip again.

Even though I'm bummed we were once again missed by the foot+ bullseye, it's still a good storm.  We had a bunch of lightning and thunder with the sleet and snow last night and now this morning we've had a couple bursts of heavy snow.  While out blowing the driveway 90 minutes ago, it began ripping hard and it felt like I was in a blizzard.

One county sw of me, they really got screwed, first by the significant warm wedge and now the dry slot.

43 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I see a report of 15.8" from Garner, IA.  

Wonder how Hawkeye is doing.  Looks like CID changed to freezing rain for a little while early this morning.

I never did. It was sleet for a while, but I’m probably 15 miles north of him. I also was BARELY spared of the dry slot as the pivot came just in time, it’s been absolutely pounding here with ~2” in the past 3 hours.

2 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Razor thin cutoff on the radar around IKK. Never seen anything like it. Seeing cars coming into town from the south with snow on them...and needless to say for here, nary a flake. Amazing. :D

Same here.  My radar looks good, nice band right over me, at 5k feet lol.

Archived