Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 23-24 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

You rock cyclone! Thanks. You'e sitting pretty for this. Def worried about that warm nose here. If I could get that mixing line more south I could cash in

all light-mod snow here on the NW side of PIA...starting to accumulate on cars...and I'm not even under the heaviest convection yet....Lightning reported at galesburg last HR

may get very interesting in the next hour or so 

14 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

This is getting interesting...being on the NE edge is nervewracking but I guess its better than being on the SW end

Tough call in your area.  To me it looked like there may be less mid level dry air over northern IL on the 00z analysis compared to model progs, so maybe there is reason for some optimism if you're on the northeastern edge like you are.  There's the low level dry air though and the question of how big of a problem it will be... heavy precip aloft could bust through but I have seen instances when radar has like 25-30 dbz overhead with nothing reaching the ground.  

16 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

all light-mod snow here on the NW side of PIA...starting to accumulate on cars...and I'm not even under the heaviest convection yet....Lightning reported at galesburg last HR

may get very interesting in the next hour or so 

I'm in Peoria Heights. It's snowing here to. Could get some heavier snow before we start seeing mixing issues later as that warm nose creeps north. Hoping this sfc low can stay south enough where it won't impact us as much. Def going to see plenty reports of convective wintry precip

6 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I'm in Peoria Heights. It's snowing here to. Could get some heavier snow before we start seeing mixing issues later as that warm nose creeps north. Hoping this sfc low can stay south enough where it won't impact us as much. Def going to see plenty reports of convective wintry precip

set up similar to early April 1997ish)or 98 maybe)....convective cooling offset WAA all night and halted the northward progress of the rain/snow line...but more west to east rather then WNW to ESE cut off .the result was a unexpected 12-14 inches in chillicothe to zero  in Pekin....North Morton had 8 while south side of Morton had 2

3 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

set up similar to early April 1997ish)or 98 maybe)....convective cooling offset WAA all night and halted the northward progress of the rain/snow line...but more west to east rather then WNW to ESE cut off .the result was a unexpected 12-14 inches in chillicothe to zero  in Pekin....North Morton had 8 while south side of Morton had 2

Rap and hrrr hinting at this. Good sign we are getting snow at 38 and not even full saturation. These heavier rates could also cause the temps to wet bulb close to freezing and hold. Been forever since we seen a double digit snow here. 

Down to 34/20 with a biting east wind.  Originally it looked like a period of rain before changing to sleet and snow, but I think we'll start off as all snow and stay that way.  Latest HRRR and RAP continues to show 1.25-1.50" precip for both here and the QC.  Top-down saturation is underway, and should see precip in the next hour or so.

42 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

....convective cooling offset WAA all night and halted the northward progress of the rain/snow line...

That's what I'm hoping will happen.  The HRRR continues to be aggressive with the warm wedge later tonight as the Nebraska MCS lifts northeast into Iowa and then turns east.

15 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

That's what I'm hoping will happen.  The HRRR continues to be aggressive with the warm wedge later tonight as the Nebraska MCS lifts northeast into Iowa and then turns east.

Yea the hrrr is crazy aggressive with it. Guess we need to see how far north this sfc low tracks

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

DVN/ILX are going to have to play catch-up overnight. Likely going to need to add another tier of counties south to the WSW in E. IA/IL.

High confidence in 9-15" from N to E IA, down through the QC and into W-C IL.

I couldn't agree more. Hell I already got an inch here if not a bit more

8 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

This has been 2 hours of sustained thundersnow. Extremely impressive. Probably about 2" on the ground, although that's a rough estimate.

Doesn't surprise me. The frontogenesis over you is unreal. Hoping we get some here eventually. Snowing hard here with some sleet but no lightning yet

6 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Definitely jealous but at the same time happy for everyone getting in on this event. The early day visible satellite on Sunday should be something else. Will be somewhat depressing for those of us northeast of the gradient.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My feeling exactly, good to see some especially in C IL get theirs, they have been shafted way too long.

1 hour ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

This has been 2 hours of sustained thundersnow. Extremely impressive. Probably about 2" on the ground, although that's a rough estimate.

This has been absolutley amazing so far! Several bouts of Thundersnow, heavy snow falling with the wind, blowing sideways, creating a true snow globe in DVN! 

Archived