Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Mid Atlantic Lawn/Garden/Pool Thread

Eskimo Joe

3 hours ago, mappy said:

weve got what we think is a raccoon eating all our hummingbird nectar. have had to refill the damn feeder three days in a row now, in the morning, as its gone overnight. 

Is it at the top of a poll? Because if it is you can butter/oil/grease the poll up and watch the show.

23 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Picturing a raccoon with a straw having a sweet snack...

our kid suggested putting up a camera to get it in the act. :lol: 

19 hours ago, George BM said:

Is it at the top of a poll? Because if it is you can butter/oil/grease the poll up and watch the show.

it is, but the pole is attached to the deck railing itself, so we assume its just walking along the deck railing and sitting there having a drink. i forgot to bring the feeder in last night, so had to refill it this morning. 

4 hours ago, mappy said:

our kid suggested putting up a camera to get it in the act. :lol: 

it is, but the pole is attached to the deck railing itself, so we assume its just walking along the deck railing and sitting there having a drink. i forgot to bring the feeder in last night, so had to refill it this morning. 

:D We had the same mystery at my previous home. Assumed it was the wind swinging the feeder. Then pondered racoons, but it was a second story deck w/o stairs and couldn't find claw marks on the support beans.

Finally, after a night that left dew on the deck, I spotted a trail of raccoon foot prints. 

After a lot of comical ideas like placing the cats scat mat on the deck rail under the hummingbird feeder, we opted for switching out the feeder every night for one that had only water in it. And we sprayed a solution of apple cider vinegar/water around the area. 

It took a few weeks, but the raccoons decided unsweetened water wasn't worth the smell of the vinegar.

Good luck! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

12z GFS advertising a pretty wet period tomorrow through Thursday. Maybe 2-3" across the area. (except for my yard and the NPZ desert)

Just in time too! It’s been so wet that I am just getting around to aerating and seeding for the fall today.

It’s good to see the board is back up.

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just in time too! It’s been so wet that I am just getting around to aerating and seeding for the fall today.

It’s good to see the board is back up.

Yeah I started last week. Put more seed down this morning.

And lolz I meant to post that in the disco thread. Site has been down so long I am out of practice :P 

59 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I started last week. Put more seed down this morning.

And lolz I meant to post that in the disco thread. Site has been down so long I am out of practice :P 

Are you seeing mold everywhere in the soils ?

And, lawn fungus from this record breaking dew point mess 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, frd said:

Are you seeing mold everywhere in the soils ?

And, lawn fungus from this record breaking dew point mess 

Yes, and lots of mushrooms. Despite the fact that I have had no significant rain in about 10 days now. Worst thing is mildew on my log home. I painstakingly cleaned, sanded, and refinished 2 sides last Spring. The lighter parts of the grain have gotten blotchy and darker over the last month because of the mildew, and this is on the south side of the house. Its kinda depressing.

23 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yes, and lots of mushrooms. Despite the fact that I have had no significant rain in about 10 days now. Worst thing is mildew on my log home. I painstakingly cleaned, sanded, and refinished 2 sides last Spring. The lighter parts of the grain have gotten blotchy and darker over the last month because of the mildew, and this is on the south side of the house. Its kinda depressing.

In all my years here in mid Delaware ( nea the C and D Canal ) this is by far the most lawn damage from dew points and molds and mildew and fungus. Never remember a summer with dews so high and so high for so long. 

Also, an interesting look on some trees I have not seen in years, surreal in a way that everything still looks like summer,  but the sunset and the days getting shorter makes it seem strange to me.   

not sure what to make of it but the longer we go like this I would venture a guess that we experience a massive flip to cold. When , not sure.  Because it seems we are not in play with this colder pattern coming up . 

40 minutes ago, frd said:

In all my years here in mid Delaware ( nea the C and D Canal ) this is by far the most lawn damage from dew points and molds and mildew and fungus. Never remember a summer with dews so high and so high for so long. 

Also, an interesting look on some trees I have not seen in years, surreal in a way that everything still looks like summer,  but the sunset and the days getting shorter makes it seem strange to me.   

not sure what to make of it but the longer we go like this I would venture a guess that we experience a massive flip to cold. When , not sure.  Because it seems we are not in play with this colder pattern coming up . 

Looking at the long range, its more of the same with a mean upper ridge over the east. The models still have a brief cool down the very end of the month into the first day or 2 of October, but just to normal temps, then back above. At least by then the humidity should be lower, and slightly above normal temps will be highs into the 70s, not low 80s. I would be happy just to get some upper 50s dewpoints. this is just gross.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I finally got some yard work done this weekend including aerating, but now I have all this grass seed ready to spread and overseed and it’s done raining. Should I wait for rain or just put it down now?

Well, I am in the same spot as you. I have decided to wait at least another 5 days to see what happens , mostly because I am not sure I can be here every day to water. Granted there is some dew and the nights are longer but watering is essential.  

I also feel this way because I am convinced there is not going to be a early freeze/frost this year, so if that is correct ( I hope ) then even waiting another week is not goiong to be a big deal.     

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I finally got some yard work done this weekend including aerating, but now I have all this grass seed ready to spread and overseed and it’s done raining. Should I wait for rain or just put it down now?

I'd put it down. Until it gets watered, it'll just sit there and there's no harm. Once it gets watered, then I'd try to keep it damp with a light spray in the AM and PM. It won't take much, especially because you've aerated. Enough seeds will find their way into the holes which is the ideal medium for germination, and that will happen with just light, persistent watering.

11 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

As a follow up if you really have some trouble areas and are concerned that you might miss a watering these gems from GreenView ,  called paper grass mulch work wonders, I have used them and I can say they do work. 

They expand when you water them and provide an additional source of moisture plus there is a tiny bit of starter fertilizer as well, these gems ( paper based )  will naturally break down over time. 

A clever product indeed. :-)    You can get them at Lowes , I believe Home Depot currently does not carry them . 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GreenView-10-lb-Fairway-Formula-Seed-Success-Biodegradable-Mulch-with-Fertilizer-2329826/304292773

9 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Voles?

4 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

<RR> Is that a tunnel or just a hole? </RR>

If not a tunnel, then maybe squirrels.  They do that in my yard too.

Haha.

It looks to be part of a tunnel, and there a few others in the backyard. I did a little research, and it looks like it could be chipmunks. We have seen a ton more of them this year than ever before, so it would only make sense. I just need my dog to take care of them for me (without digging up the lawn)!

With the turn to fall weather coming this weekend, is it too late to throw grass seed down in a yard with a thin lawn? It is a relatively small front yard as it is a townhouse, and the yard gets full afternoon sun. In the backyard, I put down a large amount of grass seed, new lawn fertilizer with weed preventative, and covered it with straw last weekend. The seed has germinated nicely, and is now almost 2ish inches in height.

32 minutes ago, EB89 said:

With the turn to fall weather coming this weekend, is it too late to throw grass seed down in a yard with a thin lawn? It is a relatively small front yard as it is a townhouse, and the yard gets full afternoon sun. In the backyard, I put down a large amount of grass seed, new lawn fertilizer with weed preventative, and covered it with straw last weekend. The seed has germinated nicely, and is now almost 2ish inches in height.

It's not too late, but if you get leaves in your yard during the fall, you may want to mow them up regularly rather than raking to not damage the newly germinated seed.

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It's not too late, but if you get leaves in your yard during the fall, you may want to mow them up regularly rather than raking to not damage the newly germinated seed.

I have a small Japanese maple as well as a red bud in the backyard. Neither have started to drop leaves yet. The front doesn’t have problems with any leaves. I faked the front yard last weekend pretty well and was surprised to see the soil was covered by a nice layer of moss. I plan on taking the front yard again this weekend to get the remaining moss up and then throw down the grass seed. I did put fertilizer down in the front at the same time as I did the backyard