Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Confidence increases for coastal storm threat along Eastern Seaboard

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Look at everything get funneled right in to PA. Confluence is like a brick wall, the energy can't go north, so as it's squeezed, the only place it can go with ease is westward into PA

Those 30+ dbz have been overhead all morning.. Not one flake... Dry as a bone!

21 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

But it's really no different than watching sports when one is heavily vested in the outcome of his team.  This is what humans do...And even crave, it seems.

haha, I like that...  

there's scientific weather ...

THEN, there's weather ...and in this case, 'weather models' as a spectator's sport - 

Hey, it's not a bad way of looking at it... and with the latter, the spectator nature of it... think of it this way, the word 'fan' has a root etymology in fanaticism for a reason.  It's like marching out into the middle of a Soccer riot in Brazil and explaining to everyone why what they are doing is irrational -   

how's that workin' for ya :lol:    

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I would think the H7 low track over LI would be problematic in terms of drying that area out over the next few hours (at least). Would fill back in on the back side, as it slides east but I find it odd that the 12zNAM didn't indicate any dryslot in that area. Radar seems to indicate mid level dry air pushing up from south of LI...

I always that being under the H7 was good? Or at least..barely to the north of it

RGEM continues to be more subdued...that model has been a problem for me totally buying the bigger soltuions. It's not a total disaster like the Euro, but it's maybe a moderate 4-7 type event for BOS-PVD...though the banding sig on there looks really good, so it could be underdone somewhat.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RGEM continues to be more subdued...that model has been a problem for me totally buying the bigger soltuions. It's not a total disaster like the Euro, but it's maybe a moderate 4-7 type event for BOS-PVD...though the banding sig on there looks really good, so it could be underdone somewhat.

At this point, with such significant changes in the short-term that we are seeing in the models, I don't really trust any of them outside of 6 hours or so. Except maybe the Euro, unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Pounding on the DC/BWI area.

My folks live in the NW suburbs of Baltimore.  Been watching the traffic cams on Baltimore and DC Beltways.  That solar insulation is doing its work on the roads.  Snow having a very hard time sticking on the pavement even though is coming down good.

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I always that being under the H7 was good? Or at least..barely to the north of it

H7 Low is closed as is H5 --atmosphere is equiv barotropic within that circulation when it stacks. Guidance has center passing over LI. You want to be where the temperature/moisture advections and warm/cold conveyors are at work - not at the center of it all.... 

You can also see here on WV imagery how the CCB wraps sinking (dry) air into the circulation and that is punching in toward SNJ and LI. Want the mid levels to close and track south/east of you - not over or to the west of you...

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_US/animwv.html

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

At this point, with such significant changes in the short-term that we are seeing in the models, I don't really trust any of them outside of 6 hours or so. Except maybe the Euro, unfortunately.

Yeah I don't trust these HRRR/RAP solutions past 6 hours that are giving me 10-14" of snow.

I'd put maybe a little weight in the NAM/RPM, but just a little. I'dexpect the Euro will be closer to reality but compromise a little bit. I expect a small bump NW on the 12z run. We will see the RAP/HRRR and other guidance ramp it down I think with each cycle today. RAP/HRRR are already slowly shaving the northern edge with each run the past 2 hours.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Reggie has been abysmal this winter both too high and too low and thermals. I wouldn’t be using it.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I don't trust these HRRR/RAP solutions past 6 hours that are giving me 10-14" of snow.

I'd put maybe a little weight in the NAM/RPM, but just a little. I'dexpect the Euro will be closer to reality but compromise a little bit. I expect a small bump NW on the 12z run. We will see the RAP/HRRR and other guidance ramp it down I think with each cycle today. RAP/HRRR are already slowly shaving the northern edge with each run the past 2 hours.

yep

For those north of about PVD-GHG...it's going to be agonizing watching the radar all day...it will be the slowest crawl northward. It may not even be snowing IMBY until 9-10pm tonight. But we could still pick up 6+ even with that happening.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

For those north of about PVD-GHG...it's going to be agonizing watching the radar all day...it will be the slowest crawl northward. It may not even be snowing IMBY until 9-10pm tonight. But we could still pick up 6+ even with that happening.

Reminds me of January 16.

That didn't end well..like an inch here, 5" in Salem

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Reminds me of January 16.

That didn't end well..like an inch here, 5" in Salem

This should be a bit better than that one...esp for eastern areas...this one tries to tilt things a bit more vertical N-S late in the game which should favor some decent bands sneaking in eventually....the question is whether its like 3-5 or 6-10.

Archived