Newest Member
    joxey
Confidence increases for coastal storm threat along Eastern Seaboard

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I get that..and I understand your point completely.  But Since it's upgrade...it's not the same for East Coast storms...I'm no pro obviously, but you don't need to be a pro to see that it's lost some of it's gusto,  if you follow the weather in New England.  That's my point.  Certainly still the most sophisticated of the models and most powerful for sure, and Globally still scores higher than the rest, but it's off here in New England compared to how well it used to handle systems.

I understand your point, but I would rather see a study on average error in track and intensity compared to the rest of guidance versus anecdotal evidence from one season.

The last one I saw, it was still superior on East Coast storms as well.

Just now, dendrite said:

What's it going to be though? When we had a meh 12km run yesterday everyone latched onto the juicy 3km.

Like Will said...I think the answer is somewhere in the middle...probably a little closer to the euro.

It's hard to argue with that.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I understand your point, but I would rather see a study on average error in track and intensity compared to the rest of guidance versus anecdotal evidence from one season.

The last one I saw, it was still superior on East Coast storms as well.

It schooled other guidance in the 3/7-8 storm...seems like that was quickly forgtten.

We'll see how it does today, but I'm guessing it will come NW again even if incrementally. I could see it having a bad storm.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What's it going to be though? When we had a meh 12km run yesterday everyone latched onto the juicy 3km.

Like Will said...I think the answer is somewhere in the middle...probably a little closer to the euro.

I’d be a Debbie if I said this.

You know how it goes though. Pick the solution that beat fits your needs. Yesterday it was the 3km.. today it is 12k.

People are probably going to talk themselves into the snowiest solution regardless of the model.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You're always on this site telling us about how nuts we are to be on the same site. :lol:

Never said anyone was nuts ...seriously... I made an observation that is ...prooobably much more clad than many users would choose to believe (eh hm), and in fact, would get angry. But there is a fine line between righteous indignation and insecurity behind that reaction. 

I don't pine and hand wring and emotionally react to every different model run, and frankly, it's annoying, sorry. I'm sure it is to the others that have chosen not to engage in this and have moved on ... And doing so at all? It is peculiar behavior - leave it at that.    

But you're right - I engage in the same internet social media format - that's about it. I do so because I enjoy writing about the weather, objectively. 

Also.. this model seeking behavior/phenomenon ...It is also (I believe) a new thing. It has to be!  15 years ago...well, 20 perhaps at this point, this wasn't possible. People used to react to the evening news when traditional media method of delivery would announce a busts or strikes ...etc... back in the day.  Now? Folks have taken the 'reaction' to emotional level, and on roids, doing so, every 6 hours - sorry...that can't be healthy.  Think about it -   

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’d be a Debbie if I said this.

You know how it goes though. Pick the solution that beat fits your needs. Yesterday it was the 3km.. today it is 12k.

People are probably going to talk themselves into the snowiest solution regardless of the model.

There would be no denying that your right though.

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

It would be a shame if ORH missed the record by a half inch

I think they’ll get it. Don’t forget the far edge bands will have good snow growth so QPF be dammed. DGZ is high up. I think SNH and your area will get several inches at least. 

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I went 6-12 out there bc I didn't have the balls to go higher. But watch that area be the storm jackpot...

A few years back, It was the Congrats Eastport every storm there, That area always does well especially on late blooming clippers....................:lol:

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Never said anyone was nuts ...seriously... I made an observation that is ...prooobably much more clad than many users would choose to believe (eh hm), and in fact, would get angry. But there is a fine line between righteous indignation and insecurity behind that reaction. 

I don't pine and hand wring and emotionally react to every different model run, and frankly, it's annoying, sorry. I'm sure it is to the others that have chosen not to engage in this and have moved on ... And doing so at all? It is peculiar behavior - leave it at that.    

But you're right - I engage in the same internet social media format - that's about it. I do so because I enjoy writing about the weather, objectively. 

Also.. this model seeking behavior/phenomenon ...It is also (I believe) a new thing. It has to be!  15 years ago...well, 20 perhaps at this point, this wasn't possible. People used to react to the evening news when traditional media method of delivery would announce a busts or strikes ...etc... back in the day.  Now? Folks have taken the 'reaction' to emotional level, and on roids, doing so, every 6 hours - sorry...that can't be healthy.  Think about it -   

But it's really no different than watching sports when one is heavily vested in the outcome of his team.  This is what humans do...And even crave, it seems.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It would be a shame if ORH missed the record by a half inch

I think they get it. But this might be the first storm in years where they are not perfectly placed far enough east, west, north, south etc. 

They’ll prob end up in a 5 mile wide super band for 10 hours late tonight though knowing that area.

31 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Man delayed but not at all denied in Boston per NAM!

It's interesting ... I was just speaking to someone at the office who is a hobbyist with weather stuff, about that. 

It seems this whole evolution this week never could get over the first wave vs second wave thing.   The indications a few days back seemed to create a general baggy trough (I called it a 'place-holder') that seemed to lack a coherent focus within for a main event. 

Then, the models started suggesting a focus for Tuesday night into Wednesday...  but lost that at 84 or so hours out. At that time... re-introducing a confused mess between the first of the two waves again... Now, it seems were seeing a more coherent look with the 2nd again, but for the course ... ended up pushing the 2nd one out in time by 18 to 24 hours.  

I'm wondering if the sped up timing of the models/error with the 2nd wave, was why it was confusing it with the first... when the 2nd one was never destined to a Tuesday night thing  - 

Probably just seems that way, but this has been one incredible journey in correction antics by prognostic tools.  It's been a riot watching media try and sort it out - 

I would think the H7 low track over LI would be problematic in terms of drying that area out over the next few hours (at least). Would fill back in on the back side, as it slides east but I find it odd that the 12zNAM didn't indicate any dryslot in that area. Radar seems to indicate mid level dry air pushing up from south of LI...

Archived