Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Confidence increases for coastal storm threat along Eastern Seaboard

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

GFS makes tomorrow pretty snowy and really crushes 0-6Z.

Great to hear Jerry, but most people are dying to hear about those who live east of the river? And what about  Byram, Cos Cob, Old Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk, south Norwalk, Westport?  The Arby's on the Post Road off exit 17!

This satellite image of water vapor imagery is simply stunning.  this event is going to nail someone with over 18" of snow, the duration is longer and the cold air is already established, the models are getting colder at the coast, I think the HRRR model is on to something starting Cape Cod as all snow from the start, if so we can get 18" of snow too if banding sets up correctly

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here was RGEM run for the queens...it is slightly less than 18z, but a big jump NW on Maine coast. I thought midlevels looked really good...being on that qpf gradient is sometimes a good thing.

Mar21_RGEM00z.gif

I didn't hit the mid level band that hard in this system because its occluded. 

27 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Logan should get up over 60 inches (they need 2.8).   Wouldn’t have called for that a month ago!

Yeah Jerry and SRAirglo... pretty confident Logan breaks 60... incredible month

Without the luxury of 0z suite, I told inquiring co-workers earlier today 4-8" for Boston, and feel a little better about that now... only significant outlier was coked out 18z HRPDS, let's see if 0z comes down to earth...

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I didn't hit the mid level band that hard in this system because its occluded. 

We may have to watch for one though as the later guidance here has been showing a trend of a big vort max ripping around the east side of the ULL and reinvigorating the midlevels...they sort of die out to our SW but then regenerate a good bit of forcing if that vortmax rips in from the S...it's prob why we're seeing bigger qpf in E MA on some of these runs. OF course, the Euro could take a steaming dump on that idea again...so we'll see.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

We may have to watch for one though as the later guidance here has been showing a trend of a big vort max ripping around the east side of the ULL and reinvigorating the midlevels...they sort of de out to our SW but then regenerate a good bit of forcing if that vortmax rips in from the S...it's prob why we're seeing bigger qpf in E MA on some of these runs. OF course, the Euro could take a steaming dump on that idea again...so we'll see.

Will there is a vort max over NE KS that looks to get into the fray at some point in the next 27 hours

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We may have to watch for one though as the later guidance here has been showing a trend of a big vort max ripping around the east side of the ULL and reinvigorating the midlevels...they sort of die out to our SW but then regenerate a good bit of forcing if that vortmax rips in from the S...it's prob why we're seeing bigger qpf in E MA on some of these runs. OF course, the Euro could take a steaming dump on that idea again...so we'll see.

Yea, possible.

I may bust by a bit if that happens....maybe could of just hit 6-12" to s NH....but not confident enough.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, possible.

I may bust by a bit if that happens....maybe could of just hit 6-12" to s NH....but not confident enough.

This is what we're watching...the next frame is where the precip explodes over E MA that run...not a coincidence:

Mar21_00zGFSvort.png

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

This is what we're watching...the next frame is where the precip explodes over E MA that run...not a coincidence:

Mar21_00zGFSvort.png

Will this is the rare existence where the longer duration actually helps out eastern SNE as it allows a reinvigoration of the snow bands as they come inland from the ocean

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Will this is the rare existence where the longer duration actually helps out eastern SNE as it allows a reinvigoration of the snow bands as they come inland from the ocean

The slower evolution actually helps the conveyors get rejuvenated again....we go from a stretched ENE-WSW baroclinic zone and starts tilting it back more NNE-SSW again. So we're able to create some ML fronto over eastern New England later in the game. Hopefully the look is correct.

IT's not all just because of speed either...its actually mostly because the lead wave is not escaping as much now and the ULL is flexing more allowing the best upper air support for the storm to get further north.

Anyways, I think that does it for me tonight...pretty hefty totals on most of the runs tonight so far for my region to BOS folks. RGEM was a little more cautious but still probably a big hit given the ML look.

Won't be staying up for the Euro....but it's gotta come back at least somewhat I would think.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Mar21_00zGFSvort.png

Yeah that’s the lobe I mentioned earlier. And also the low Is less of an oblong shape. No coincidence there. So you tighten up the circulations instead of some sort of stretched out 850-700 front.

Archived