Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Confidence increases for coastal storm threat along Eastern Seaboard

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Ok so, what do we do? I have two friends who are on snow removal crews for commercial plazas, one in Plymouth and one in Framingham.

Plymouth so far could get 2 or 12. Actually same for Framingham.

And what do you do if your in charge of calling off school. Earlier Worcester was up to 18, but then they could be as low as 2? 

And now the GFS comes out and still hinting at a bigger storm. 

The models sure are a hot mess!

When in doubt go climo.  If snow is in the vicinity Framingham and Worcester always seem to ring every inch of snow possible. I'm much more confident in a place like Foxwoods, University of Rhode Island, or even Fall River getting double digit totals compared to south Plymouth.

Wow what a tough forecast, I don't envy the pros on air.

Specifically for SNE along the pike region: there are undeniable trends of lower impact... (0z -->12z) Euro + (0z --> 6z --> 12z --> 18z) 12kNAM + (0z --> 6z --> 12z --> 18z) GFS... that's a multi-model and multi-run trend, and I'm inclined to give that more weight.

But then 18z RGEM / 18z 3kNAM buck the trend and give me pause.

I haven't had time to do any realtime verification analysis. So based only on the above... for the pike region into Boston metro specifically, my current thinking is 4-8", but I'm not confident at all.

It's like model whack a mole. Not one has had the same solution for more than a few runs..if that. They are all jockeying for position. It's 2018 for crying out loud. You'd think the modelling would be improved, especially inside 36hrs. I mean come on. I know EC was touting their new super computer acquisition last summer. If it's in operation, they need a refund...lol.

Just now, CT Rain said:

I have no idea what to expect with this storm. 

The EPS and Euro is just so atrociously snowless but other signs are so big. 

Is it possible that the Euro is just overzealous with the degree of dry air aloft or is that a product of it being just further south with everything? 

Just now, Hazey said:

It's like model whack a mole. Not one has had the same solution for more than a few runs..if that. They are all jockeying for position. It's 2018 for crying out loud. You'd think the modelling would be improved, especially inside 36hrs. I mean come on. I know EC was touting their new super computer acquisition last summer. If it's in operation, they need a refund...lol.

But are you really surprised? I mentioned this the other day that all the storms this year have come down to the wire on the models and this one would be no different.

3 minutes ago, nianticct said:

reminds me when I called the automated number for weather as a kid! they were in the dark back then! Good luck my man!

or listening to the regional nws offices on the weather radios before the nws taunton consolidation in the mid 90s.

Archived