Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

19 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Has to be at least a 50% (60%?) confidence level.

Based on the map CLskinsfan posted, the probability of reaching 4" meets that threshold in the western counties.  Doesn't mean the required 5" criteria is met though.  If we are forecasting the forecasters, I suspect LWX hoists watches in the a.m. for at least their 8 WV counties, the 5 westernmost counties in Virginia, and western Allegany in MD.  They may also cover the high ridges of the Blue Ridge.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

That map looks about right to me. I still think we get more than that in my neck of the woods but it seems about where I'd place the forecast myself.

They are almost always too conservative and then increase totals later.  So this is fairly positive to me.  If the 2nd wave starts banding, totals will go up.  

5 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the CMC RDPs and GDPS on meteocentre ?  Is one the extended version of the other?

GDPS = GGEM

RDPS = RGEM

GEPS = GGEM ensemble

REPS = RGEM ensemble

3 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

They are almost always too conservative and then increase totals later.  So this is fairly positive to me.  If the 2nd wave starts banding, totals will go up.  

WHEN the 2nd wave starts banding, MoCo and HoCo will meet warning criteria.

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:

WHEN the 2nd wave starts banding, MoCo and HoCo will meet warning criteria.

Hopefully more counties than that will meet the warning criteria....we are in for a shellacking, right??  Also, they reduce the amounts needing for warning criteria if it is to occur during rush hour.  At least they used to... when it used to snow here.  

1 minute ago, snowmagnet said:

Hopefully more counties than that will meet the warning criteria....we are in for a shellacking, right??  Also, they reduce the amounts needing for warning criteria if it is to occur during rush hour.  At least they used to... when it used to snow here.  

Do they? I only thought they did that for advisories. 

3 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

Do the nws prediction maps account for melting and/or non stickage?

Yes. Unlike model snowmaps, the NWS maps have human forecaster input. They often are conservative farther out in time from the event start. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

DT's map looks pretty good. I'm thinking about the same thing. If wave 2 gets cranking then there's upside but as is I like the map. 

It's reasonable.  I think for you, upside has got to be  north of 8".   If we make 4 here I'm happy.  I'm 100% serious.  I'm being realistic..the Euro HECS was never going to happen.  If we can score 4" in accumulating snow during daylight in mid March, I've got nothing to complain about with this storm.

7 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Maybe not the HECS we were hunting last week, but 6 - 10 would be quite a storm, especially for late March.

Hell, that would be as much March snow I've seen since the Superstorm.  Maybe it is historic.  :o

6-10 would be a nice storm, especially after this awful winter, but not anything what was being talked about just days ago. We just had a similar storm a few years ago in late March, so hardly unprecedented, but pretty rare.

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It's reasonable.  I think for you, upside has got to be  north of 8".   If we make 4 here I'm happy.  I'm 100% serious.  I'm being realistic..the Euro HECS was never going to happen.  If we can score 4" in accumulating snow during daylight in mid March, I've got nothing to complain about with this storm.

Averaging all guidance puts me around 1.25" qpf. So let's say I hit upside of 1.5"...that would mean 5:1 average to hit over 7". I don't think that's likely at all because I'm almost definitely getting rain for a while. If 1" qpf fell as all snow I still don't think 8:1 is possible with all the variables in play. 6" is probably top end for me. My brain says 3-6" for my hood and probably 2-4" through dc with the hills better than the riverbanks. If wave 2 wraps up then we all might have our minds blown. Not much evidence of that yet. 

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

6-10 would be a nice storm, especially after this awful winter, but not anything what was being talked about just days ago. We just had a similar storm a few years ago in late March, so hardly unprecedented, but pretty rare.

If anything, March has been a snowy month in the past half decade. Every winter, 2013, 2014, 2015, even 2016, 2017, an this year have had at least 1 or 2 potential threats to track or that materialized. 

24 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

DT has his first call out.  

FED01E8C-AD9F-4F56-BA0E-80776572FE8C.thumb.jpeg.34620758874f7eb052599700eefbe8a8.jpeg

Seems very  realistic. We got 2.5 inches  in newport news from the  last snow and  even though local forecasters are saying this will be similar i doubt any accumulating snow makes it se  of RIC.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived