Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecast for DC proper - Final and only Call - Low confidence

Overnight - 2 am to 6 am - Steady Rain developing, possibly mixing with or changing to sleet toward dawn.  Mid to upper 30s.

Tuesday - 6 am to 4 pm - Mix, becoming mostly sleet toward mid-morning, with some flakes mixing in, in the afternoon.  Mid 30s.    Perhaps some minor accumulations on unpaved surfaces.

Tuesday/Wednesday - 4 pm to 4 am - intermittent light mixed precip.  Mid 30s.

Wednesday - 4 am to 7 pm - Snow.  Low 30s.

Total Accumulation - 1-3" below 100' (mainly unpaved surfaces). 2-4" above 100' (some sticking to side streets and sidewalks, especially above 300').

2 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Forecast for DC proper - Final and only Call - Low confidence

Overnight - 2 am to 6 am - Steady Rain developing, possibly mixing with or changing to sleet toward dawn.  Mid to upper 30s.

Tuesday - 6 am to 4 pm - Mix, becoming mostly sleet toward mid-morning, with some flakes mixing in, in the afternoon.  Mid 30s.    Perhaps some minor accumulations on unpaved surfaces.

Tuesday/Wednesday - 4 pm to 4 am - intermittent light mixed precip.  Mid 30s.

Wednesday - 4 am to 7 pm - Snow.  Low 30s.

Total Accumulation - 1-3" below 100' (mainly unpaved surfaces). 2-4" above 100' (some sticking to side streets and sidewalks, especially above 300').

Based on climo and just how we've been running winter storm wise lately this is easily the most reasonable and likely forecast in this thread.

Just now, VAsnowlvr82 said:

I’m so confused with some people talking about how awesome this storm is and some saying low precip totals and next. Way too many imby posts!

Well the positive snow depth change at hour 40 is quite low on the 3k.  Look at it if you don’t believe me.  It’s only out to 40.  It looks to me like PHL-NYC get hammered.  The setup at h5 looks awesome but the results tell a different story.  

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

3k about to throw down with the ull. Setup even better than 18z

nam3km_ir_us_23.png

We've been waiting for "that look" for YEARS!  Seriously years...and now we have it. Fully closed low crossing just under us. Captured sub 990 low just off the mid Atlantic coast. Ccb across our area. And now people are sh!ting on the look?  I'm seriously confused what they are liking at. There have been times the last few runs where a read some posts before looking at the model and was expecting something to have gone wrong then was like wtf it's fine. I thought I was the worry wart but this...:facepalm:

Just now, psuhoffman said:

We've been waiting for "that look" for YEARS!  Seriously years...and now we have it. Fully closed low crossing just under us. Captured sub 990 low just off the mid Atlantic coast. Ccb across our area. And now people are sh!ting on the look?  I'm seriously confused what they are liking at. There have been times the last few runs where a read some posts before looking at the model and was expecting something to have gone wrong then was like wtf it's fine. I thought I was the worry wart but this...:facepalm:

They're looking at surface depictions more than anything

4 minutes ago, VAsnowlvr82 said:

I’m so confused with some people talking about how awesome this storm is and some saying low precip totals and next. Way too many imby posts!

I don’t think it is IMBY.  The evolution of the 500 low is appealing and most who are jazzed about the storm are looking at that and extrapolating.  However, the NAM 3k itself is not very impressive for surface precip.  My two pronged worry:  1) The 500 low practically looks like it is occluding in a way.  Look at the convection vanish in the Carolinas as it loses its punch.  2) the front runner event may be messing with the traditional moisture advection.  When we see a nice 850 jet with an easterly component we get excited, but this is not drawing from the same environment that it otherwise would.

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I don’t think it is IMBY.  The evolution of the 500 low is appealing and most who are jazzed about the storm are looking at that and extrapolating.  However, the NAM 3k itself is not very impressive for surface precip.  My two pronged worry:  1) The 500 low practically looks like it is occluding in a way.  Look at the convection vanish in the Carolinas as it loses its punch.  2) the front runner event may be messing with the traditional moisture advection.  When we see a nice 850 jet with an easterly component we get excited, but this is not drawing from the same environment that it otherwise would.

3k give central MD ~0.5" QPF from hours 29-49. Much of the heavier precip is focused on NJ and north. 

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I was thinking something  similar. The less precip with the first low then the better for the 2nd. If the first dumps alot  of rain or  mix num2 might  not  do much

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived