Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jayyy said:

North MoCo/HoCo, Carrol, and points N/NW/NE: 7-9” 10-12” max in usual jackpot elevation areas

Baltimore city:  4-6” — 8-9” max with banding and colder temps verifying perfectly. Not likely IMO.

Downtown DC: 2-5” - 7” max with good rates and colder temps verifying 

Northern areas win for one simple reason: Wave 1 accumulation. I think northern Baltimore and Harford County are in a good spot. Colder for wave 1 and far enough east and north with wave 2. I see areas from frederick on west seeing much less QPF from wave 2 if we’re being realistic and not wishcasting based on the snowiest models. I believe we easily overcome climo and that it comes faster than models depict. Which is always the case. Changeover begins 8 am far northwest, and I believe 95 is snow by 2 PM. Rates of .75”+ per hour will accumulate, so let’s cut the March warmth crap  it can snow a foot a day after it’s 70 degrees if it snows hard enough  

be smart people  don’t model hug. H5 and 500 mb look good.  

That's great to put it out so specific. I think there is going to be a jackpot time of 2-3 hours where it would be no better if it Were 1am  Maybe some built up cumulus around noon .  

Observation posts could be a real gas 

12 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

Can anyone help me understand why the NAM 12k is showing rain for everything East of the Loudon/Fairfax line, but shows several inches already on the total snow fall map (I don't see a total snow depth map to compare it to)?

The  snow map includes sleet, and the microphysics in the model must be indicating sleet.    The "rain" comes from the precip type computation which is only based on the wet-bulb temperature profile (i.e.  no connection to the microphysics).

9 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

0z NAM appears to be east of 18z with the coastal. Also, h5 not closed off at hr 25, was at 18z. Might not mean anything. Just observing. 

NRN MD gets it pretty good from the deform once the coastal gets cranking.  Last run the explosion went too far north.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived