Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

49 minutes ago, mappy said:

I need a northern tier update from @HighStakes or @losetoa6 or @psuhoffman 

Sorry work schedule is wicked today. I'll give a "Northern tier" update when I get a chance to take in the whole 12z guidance but I'm feeling good things right now from what I've seen. Some are over thinking it. Sub 990 low just east of OC with a good h5 pass works 90% of the time. 

23 minutes ago, Amped said:

Silly precip bomb over Philly robs us.  Not sure that verifies.

You know darn well there is no chance that verifies. Gfs isn't going to nail those little convection bombs and likely they are convective feedback and not real and the ccb is more uniform. Gfs SUCKS as this. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:
Lwx still not that inpressed. 

Low pressure will develop off the Mid-Atlantic Coast Tuesday. 
Another area of low pressure may impact the area Tuesday night. 
There is a slight winter storm threat Tuesday through early 
Wednesday. If the threat materializes, travel disruptions may 
result.

Really surprised, this is starting early tomorrow morning.

Oh man if it was only mid February...
yeah, certainly Wednesday has upside potential for somebody. Banding always creates winners and losers. And elevation will play a role as well of course.

No doubt. That’s why I’d be feeling good if I lived in the northern tier with areas in NW MoCo, Northern Frederick also in the running for WSW criteria stuff. This is a setup where people like das and PSU can do pretty well due to elevation and location.

16 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

The CMC is ridiculous. 1.3" of QPF by 18Z tomorrow for OKV.  Kuchera at 10.9" of snow there through h30.

Just under 2 inches total precip ALL SNOW in Winchester. Even with crappy rates 8 inches seems legit to me.

Drool worthy panel right here. And the panel after is just as nice. 5 or 6 hours of heavy snow during the daytime would just be awesome:

prateptype.us_ma.png

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

No precip panels yet but I think UKMET is going to look good.  It basically stalls and deepens for like 12 hours off the Delmarva.  

Usually a good precursor the Euro this close to game time.  A stalled and deepening low off the Delmarva is basically all I can ask for out of a coastal snow storm.  Im also excited for the optics of this storm.  We are fighting climo, but it will be badass to see moderate to heavy snow flying for an extended period of time.

Just now, yoda said:

They lowered amounts for everyone east of I-81

The good news for winter weather lovers is that superstitiously, when LWX does this back and forth with accumulations...we usually get a good storm :lol:

I'm actually fairly stoked for a nice sleet storm for a time tomorrow. It's a cool precip type. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

HDERPS looks like everything else. Big hit NW of 95 already but the good stuff is rolling at the end of the run. VERY narrow spread with 12z today. Euro will probably look better than 0z for wave 2 as well. 

hrdps_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_48.png

Bob are you buying the possible stall scenario ? 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

HDERPS looks like everything else. Big hit NW of 95 already but the good stuff is rolling at the end of the run. VERY narrow spread with 12z today. Euro will probably look better than 0z for wave 2 as well. 

Lot more consistency across the models, seemingly, with this storm (at this stage).

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Bob are you buying the possible stall scenario ? 

Yes, because everything is going neg tilt and closing off H5 to our SW. Weak steering flow as well. GFS was the most progressive of the bunch and it was really close to the same closed low/stall off the coast solution. If 0z tonight has full consensus of the closed ull and stall then I think it's a lock. 

OTOH- with a stall and more ene trajectory, banding could miss in any direction for big totals. It's not the same as a low that climbs the coast. It's all happening overhead. That's why I'm not hugging any one solution when it comes to QPF distribution. Closed lows like this are inherently hard to predict. Zero comparison but March 13 showed how it can break the wrong way. I highly doubt we miss to SW VA like that though. This is a different beast. 

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

You will end up being very happy then I would guess. I mean all guidance says everyone from you west is going to get hit pretty hard. I am expecting some mix up front even out here. But it appears the column cools pretty rapidly over the Shenandoah Valley and east to the Blue Ridge. I dont know exactly where you are. But if you are up on the mountain by Mt. Weather I think you are going to get crushed.

At 7 & 9.  On a hill.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived