SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

and dont get me wrong... I would take this run 100%

curious to see what the 3k does

Me too, but I’d rather go by what the snow depth change map shows, especially with all the confusing mixing going on. Much more realistic IMO, but still a solid event for us.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

IDK 32F 2m straddles 95.

There's a warm layer around 850 mb for a good chunk of the first part of the storm but there's a really cold layer just above the surface up to 900 mb. The predominant ptype would probably be sleet until the second wave really takes over. Looked through soundings in moco verbatim on the 3k

Just now, psuhoffman said:

models are coming around to a more consolidated system not 2 waves...if they fully get there and we get ccb's the column will cool.  Have to see how this shakes out in the next couple runs. 

And long duration.  The primary slows enough and I think we would prefer a consolidated solution vice waiting for wave 2.  Whatevergets frozen.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I find it so much easier....and more accurate...to not even look at the nam for winter events until under 24 hours. I have a hunch the gfs will move towards the euro but still disappoint

Ohhh GFS....Did I hear someone say (or at least allude to) that it doesn't always do that great with two waves like this? (or perhaps the reference I'm thinking of was Dec. 2009)

10 minutes ago, yoda said:

3km NAM looks decent with snow accumulation through 60

Despite the 10:1 map looking good, the individual panels look really sleety.     Remember that sleet is tallied the same as snow, and when you apply a 10:1 ratio, you get a really false impression about what is being depicted.    The Ferrier map shows a general 1-2" snowfall through f60.     To be clear, the NAM3 could easily be wrong with the details or simply too warm in the midlevels, but its depiction at least through 60h is a high-impact winter storm but not a great snowstorm for much of the forum.

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

Despite the 10:1 map looking good, the individual panels look really sleety.     Remember that sleet is tallied the same as snow, and when you apply a 10:1 ratio, you get a really false impression about what is being depicted.    The Ferrier map shows a general 1-2" snowfall through f60.     To be clear, the NAM3 could easily be wrong with the details or simply too warm in the midlevels, but its depiction at least through 60h is a high-impact winter storm but not a great snowstorm for much of the forum.

Haven’t looked at the latest NAM but Kuchera on the Euro has been pretty great.

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ohhh GFS....Did I hear someone say (or at least allude to) that it doesn't always do that great with two waves like this? (or perhaps the reference I'm thinking of was Dec. 2009)

We're getting close to the time where reality is somewhere in between the gfs and euro. Neither model is perfect but the goalposts are narrowing now. 

I hope everyone understands that this storm will have some rain. Especially south of i70. Could be a lot of rain too. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're getting close to the time where reality is somewhere in between the gfs and euro. Neither model is perfect but the goalposts are narrowing now. 

I hope everyone understands that this storm will have some rain. Especially south of i70. Could be a lot of rain too. 

So now I'm wondering about what period(s) of time would travel impacts be more likely...(particularly wondering about Tuesday evening onward)

46 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

models are coming around to a more consolidated system not 2 waves...if they fully get there and we get ccb's the column will cool.  Have to see how this shakes out in the next couple runs. 

I was thinking this, checking the last cycle of models, it does seem like they're trying to consolidate more.  I would think that should be generally favorable for us, and (I believe) is a trend toward what was shown originally mid-late last week.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived