Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mappy said:

I’ll leave it, if you can give me a quick rundown on 12z. Wasn’t gonna wade through that other thread

cmc shifted a bit further southeast, but was on an island anyway.  wave 1 looks fairly set (just need to see how strong/location) but temps are going to be an issue at the onset.  wave 2 has trended further west over time, but still needs work.  all in all, i think the trends have been good, but we need to see better consolidation of each system amongst the models.  hopefully euro comes in cleaner.  i'm interested to see if it stays a 2 part system, or tries to keep things more drawn out as we get closer.

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

cmc shifted a bit further southeast, but was on an island anyway.  wave 1 looks fairly set (just need to see how strong/location) but temps are going to be an issue at the onset.  wave 2 has trended further west over time, but still needs work.  all in all, i think the trends have been good, but we need to see better consolidation of each system amongst the models.  hopefully euro comes in cleaner.  i'm interested to see if it stays a 2 part system, or tries to keep things more drawn out as we get closer.

Good rundown. Wave 1 is almost certainly dropping some snow througg most if not all the region and someone in the sweetspot may top warning criteria. That sweet spot is a moving target but it's an easy guess that the WV panhandle through upper moco and along i70 is favored. 

Wave 2's ressurection is very impressive. These little ticks and tocks of bringing it back are meaningful. It's probably safe to say that wave 2 does in fact produce something after being completely off the table 2-3 days ago. Wave 2 has the most upside but getting a real handle on it is still 48 hours away. 

UK runs some of wave 1 off but it keeps most of the energy concentrated in a primary that stalls to our west and just waits for the upper levels to catch up. One key is not having the second vort split and dig one down into the south. The runs that do that and develop a low in SC suck for us. The runs that hold back a stronger primary that helps pull the next wave in and focus development at the mid Atlantic are good. The ukmet isn't even impressive at the surface. My guess is the h5 pass gets it done. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs looks very good. Still divided on wave 2 impact but very good for wave 1. I think much of our region is about to be pretty happy one way or another. 

I think we're starting to gel into a decent storm (total two wave) that will double our snow for the year.  If we can get the Euro in on this, I'll be officially all in.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ukie total precip 

B9317BD3-CFAB-4AF9-B1A1-7A7B4A0F3636.png

Good QPF from the Ukie, nearing 1.2".  Based on the Meteogram up through 72 hours, the surface up through 850 mb hovers near or a little above freezing in DC on Tuesday, which accounts for about half of that qpf.  But it appears the column cools enough by Tuesday evening and into Wednesday for the remaining projected QPF to be all snow (still could be mostly snow on Tuesday, but Tuesday night into Wednesday could be the most promising period if the secondary low behaves as the Ukie suggests).

UKIE.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs looks very good. Still divided on wave 2 impact but very good for wave 1. I think much of our region is about to be pretty happy one way or another. 

Amazing run for your area. It was sideways up here. 6z was 14 hits and 7 misses. 12z is 12 hits and 9 misses but the hits are bigger hits.  It's a right cutoff up here in a lot of the guidance. How confident are you on that last 24 hour push north?  I trust you more with that since your location isn't as reliant on it.

I'm feeling better then I was last night. Euro will have a lot to say though. 

UKIE is drool-worthy out here with the QPF.  Such an event hasn't happened in a quite a while.

Interestingly, the GEFS members seem to depict the Wave 2 coastal idea; those members which produce big totals have a noticeable shift east with the jackpot zones.  It's apparent that wave 2 is not going to be as kind to us westerners.  No surprises there.  I'm completely rooting for the strongest wave 1 possible.

2 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Might not be the best place to ask, but seeing as the term is being floated a lot... and we have some time to kill before the Euro... but could anyone give an “explain it like I’m 5” on confluence? I think there’s lots of us in here who see the term but don’t really know what that looks like/does.

This could help you...

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived