Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/19/18 Dixie Alley severe outbreak

LithiaWx

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously impressive stuff.  The supercell hit Buchanan then did that reorg-thingy into a line about 15 minutes before hitting us, so technically it didn't have enough rotation to keep the TOR active.  We got hit by it between the Buchanan and South Fulton tornado drops.  It packed enough of a wallop we didn't need the tornado anyhow.

We had continual intense lightning that looked like strokes during midday for several minutes, thundering booms more like explosions making walls of sound slamming into us and the house shaking, major hail, trees falling, sheets of rain, and I'd guess the winds were at least 60, wouldn't be surprised if 70+, for a brief while.

After all that, I was surprised at how light our damage was.  Lots of trees down, lots of debris.  But the hail didn't break the skylights, none of the debris hit a window hard enough to crack or smash them (that I have found yet), the lightning for once did NOT cause electronics-frying surges, and other than the biggest tallest oak in the treeline come down on the transformer and pole -- missing the house next to the pole and the just-filled propane tank, thankyouverymuch -- it's mostly just lots of messy inconvenience and power out until the next day when Greystone could send a crew out to chainsaw their way to the pole then replace things and run new line.

Compared to our neighbors who lost entire outbuildings like chicken coops, livestock run-ins, sheds, fences galore, and in one case an entire barn with another couple of their barns probably beyond repair -- we lucked out.  And we really lucked out compared to the South Fulton people who got hit for real when the TOR redeveloped.  

Just last week I was shoveling my rental car out of 15" of snowfall up in Maine, and looking forward to being back home in WARM Georgia ... wasn't really looking forward to tornado tho.

Hopefully everyone else here didn't get anything more than some inconvenience and mess.

Pretty cool.

Also interesting to see how sorta-uniform the component pieces are on that monster.  I remember the huge aggregate hailstones in Texas being composed of wildly-differing sizes that glommed together in the updraft.  Sure it was softball-sized (which I'd always thought was just another Texas exaggeration until I lived in Texas and got to watch that stuff trash my truck), but it was obviously several smaller irregular pieces that'd impacted and stuck together before falling.  The hailstone in that picture looks more like a bunch of smaller round stones fused.

It's still going to pack a wallop and cause insurance adjusters to reach for the Maalox wherever it lands, regardless of aggregate uniformity.  ouch

Archived