Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

3 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

first of all sandy you had no subways service to many parts of the city buses did not run till next day and they were crowded many schools had no power... the 96 storm was a blizzard this won't be no 1996 storm... bad comparisons..

NOT REALLY, IF IT IS STILL SNOWING DURING RUSH HOUR TOMORROW IT WILL BE TOO HAZARDOUS

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i have never heard of the city ever doing early dismissal.. so it had to be schools open or closed...the mayor picked the wiser choice...

Just cause you've never heard of it doesn't mean it couldn't be done, and doesn't mean it wouldn't have been the smartest choice. Other districts do it all the time.

7 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i have never heard of the city ever doing early dismissal.. so it had to be schools open or closed...the mayor picked the wiser choice...

NYC schools do not do early Dismissals but Up in Rockland they do----ps radar is looking good to our South and this storm is going to crawl , add the cold temps and I think this has more bomb than bust in it,,, we will see where those higher bands wind up later.

1 minute ago, larrye said:

Just cause you've never heard of it doesn't mean it couldn't be done, and doesn't mean it wouldn't have been the smartest choice. Other districts do it all the time.

The City just doesn't do it. I know. I work in a school that follows the public schools' snow-day calls. The public schools service over 1 million kids, some of whom would have no one at home if the system just decided, mid-day, to close. Mid-day closures are more common in smaller communities and districts.

12 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

Sticking basically everywhere in the city, there was easily over an inch on cars and grassy surfaces when I left my place half an hour ago. Currently heavy snow in Midtown.

temps are now at 31 in the city that degree under freezing makes a big difference

2 minutes ago, Mophstymeo said:

The City just doesn't do it. I know. I work in a school that follows the public schools' snow-day calls. The public schools service over 1 million kids, some of whom would have no one at home if the system just decided, mid-day, to close. Mid-day closures are more common in smaller communities and districts.

Yep; back in PA we did early dismissals frequently in events timed like this (usually between 11:30am-12:30pm or so).

20 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

1" on the ground an 31F; only got about 1/4" the past hour with light/moderate snow; streets now mostly black again as we've had some melting.  Need greater rates to cover them, which look to be coming, based on radar filling in.  Good thing about higher ratio, drier snow is less sticking to trees and power lines and less outages...

Yes drier is good, don't want to lose power. 

3 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Yep; back in PA we did early dismissals frequently in events timed like this (usually between 11:30am-12:30pm or so).

I live in a district that closes way too easily and it causes quite a few headaches, especially given where I work. I will often need to take off in prep for a storm because I *know* what will happen if I don't.

4 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

We got a lot of early dismissals in Allentown, PA growing up (120,000 people and a lot of kids from poor backgrounds and single parent homes).

Anyway, the HRRR is a lot further west with the heavy banding than the NAM. Interested to see the RGEM soon.

HRRR is over an inch with more to come. 

13 minutes ago, Mophstymeo said:

I hear you. But the reason why other districts do it is because they have a plan. That's all it takes. If NYC had a plan, they could do it. If they announce the day before that it is likely that they will have early dismissal, it requires the same type of planning for parents as it does if they announce a complete closure. It's something NYC needs to do IMO. 

18 minutes ago, Mophstymeo said:

When our kids were still in elementary school there was one storm where they made a snap decision to send the kids home early and both me and my wife were working. She left work right away but got stuck in traffic behind a big accident and instead of the regular ~30 minute drive it was almost 3 hours. She called me and I left work but my 40 minute drive was well over an hour. The kids sat outside in the driveway for almost an hour waiting for me to get home. Early dismissals suck.

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We continue to see the impressively steep midlevel lapse rates with these late season winter storms. Funny how they have become more prevalent in the cold season.  We used to get them more with warm season EML severe events in the past.

NAMNE_con_lapse57_012.png.c256751384668ceb59b696d3eed71223.png

FWIW, I think the airmass in the midlevels is actually a modified EML that got advected across the south and is now being swung up and around the low into the northeast.

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

When our kids were still in elementary school there was one storm where they made a snap decision to send the kids home early and both me and my wife were working. She left work right away but got stuck in traffic behind a big accident and instead of the regular ~30 minute drive it was almost 3 hours. She called me and I left work but my 40 minute drive was well over an hour. The kids sat outside in the driveway for almost an hour waiting for me to get home. Early dismissals suck.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50505-winter-2017-18-banter-thread/

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

There is no good way to do it really. But most schools have skeleton crew staff for cleaning ( ours are outsourced, 2 to a building ) and the adults who work in the schools also have to get home, and usually have to get their own kids who are being dismissed early. No matter what you do, people will complain.

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived