Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Yeah SW CT could easily end up with the most in the area.

12Z RPM agrees, and it's been trending towards that. Also keeps accum snow going in the city til 5-6AM and well after on LI.

Often find the 15Z more accurate as it will have ingested 12Z data, so we'll see. mgWeb_WRF_20180321-120000_ENYC_F00220000_PwinterSnow_R1km.png.45f9a54caec02fa9067a53d4f8ee17c6.png

7 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

So all the maps being posted show Somerset County in the screw zone and basically in a snow hole like usual, but Mt Holly says this...I'm just west of Somerville. Not feeling confident right now in this forecast. What is Mt Holly looking at that is so different than being posted here?

Synoptically: no chg from pattern recognition. A big event is
unfolding and we just need to be patient. Significant nearly
stationary banding now evident N central MD to eastern Berks
western Bucks County to near NYC. EVERYONE will share in snow
but the main axis of the S+ should be vcnty MQS-CKZ-SMQ (Chester PA to near Doylestown PA to Somerville)
. Higher
amts than forecast are possible in the NNJ part of our fcst,
particularly Northampton, Warren, Hunterdon, Morris, Somerset
but we`re not raising at this time until we know for sure what
we already have at 230 PM.

HUH?  I got 19" last storm.  Backyard looks like a scene from the walking dead, LOL!

6 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

I don't need to JP to be happy. Just need to not bust low for once this month. 

Here Here! I seriously would love to get 8 inches outta this, that's great for March and more than anything else this year. Sadly, what i'm looking at outside is the usual. Hope I'm not in subsidence zone again for this one. Note; no one has to come in here to reassure me or anything. I'm a big boy it's ok if it doesn't snow a lot IMBY. Life will go on!

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

I knew this storm was going to be very good for the area. Temps are below freezing and a classic closure of 500mb low. Also the stalling of the low.

I always hope you're right, but it's been a tough March. Last think to worry about is that if doesn't stall while we're in a snow hole. 

22 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The RAP has it too. I'm hoping that you are correct.

Stop posting model QPF maps.  It's lazy and bad meteorology.  If you don't know how - or wont take the time - to read the soundings et al and figure out WHY a model is showing blotches and whether its real or just model noise, just stop posting and let other posters do their thing.  The board isn't a place for you to vent your fear that you end up in a local minimum.

1" on the ground an 31F; only got about 1/4" the past hour with light/moderate snow; streets now mostly black again as we've had some melting.  Need greater rates to cover them, which look to be coming, based on radar filling in.  Good thing about higher ratio, drier snow is less sticking to trees and power lines and less outages...

4 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

You also have elevation, Branchburg doesn't. So you are more the exception for the area...

Elevation, especially in March, is very important.  I am probably less than 3 miles from wxman but 350 feet lower in elevation and received about 10" from that storm.  I am guessing this one may be more uniform for our areas since it seems colder.  Just have to get a little lucky with the banding. 

Just now, Drz1111 said:

Stop posting model QPF maps.  It's lazy and bad meteorology.  If you don't know how - or wont take the time - to read the soundings et al and figure out WHY a model is showing blotches and whether its real or just model noise, just stop posting and let other posters do their thing.  The board isn't a place for you to vent your fear that you end up in a local minimum.

I'm more than capable. I've been doing this since weather boards became a thing back in the early 2000's.

I also find it hard to ignore that just about every piece of guidance has steadily shown a trimming of the higher amounts on the NW periphery, with the Euro leading the pack. It's not because I'm afraid of being in the "local minimum". It's because I'm smart enough to know that accumulations will be minimal if you end up on the wrong side of the band that comes through tonight.

4 minutes ago, tempestatis014 said:

I actually COULD'VE had school. Roads are fine. Maybe an early dismissal today if I did have school

i have never heard of the city ever doing early dismissal.. so it had to be schools open or closed...the mayor picked the wiser choice...

Raining here.

And I think it’s good that the NYC schools closed, even if it isn’t bad now it can be extremely difficult getting home via public transportation after dismissal....I’ve lived it, one time I got home at night (2:20 PM dismissal) and is why I stayed home during storms more often than not.

NYC schools actually didn’t begin closing for bad weather until somewhat recently, I graduated from HS in 2010 and can count on one hand the number of times school closed due to bad weather.

9 minutes ago, sferic said:

IF IT IS STILL SNOWING AT 6am WOULD NYC CLOSE ITS SCHOOLS..AGAIN

WITH SANDY THEY CLOSED FOR 4 DAYS

BLIZZARD OF 96 2 DAYS AND A DELAY ON THE 3RD

first of all sandy you had no subways service to many parts of the city buses did not run till next day and they were crowded many schools had no power... the 96 storm was a blizzard this won't be no 1996 storm... bad comparisons..

4 minutes ago, chrisNJ said:

Elevation, especially in March, is very important.  I am probably less than 3 miles from wxman but 350 feet lower in elevation and received about 10" from that storm.  I am guessing this one may be more uniform for our areas since it seems colder.  Just have to get a little lucky with the banding. 

well if the storm started at night that would erase the sun angle.. we shall see if it is heavy snow when the sun goes down tonight..

4 minutes ago, chrisNJ said:

Exactly, we are very close to each other, but he is on the mountain and we are basically in the valley between him and the area by Bridgewater/Basking Ridge/Warren. So totals will vary significantly over a few miles with the elevation changes.

1 minute ago, hooralph said:

Can't believe how this is performing here in Manhattan early. 30 at my place, 31 at the park. Heavy snow w 1/4 mile visibility for an hour now. Drifting on my terrace.

me to snowing almost moderately no sleet here in manhattan past the upper east side...when it snows harder that is when all the fun begins...

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived