Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

4 minutes ago, weatherbear5 said:

12k NAM is a huge hit in NYC and on LI.  AOA 1.5 inches from the city eastward, .5 inches up to the NW tip of NJ.

brief, sneaky isothermal layer over parts of LI around 850mb around 15z, but I'd say the lions share of that is snow, maybe briefly mixed with sleet. 

Surface temps plenty cold as well

edit: also, idk what I was looking at earlier that told me it would be mainly a late day storm... must have been exhaustion from being up through all the 00z runs and for the 6z NAM and GFS lol

starts in earnest before noon on the NAM

5-6 am through about 10pm

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

playing devil's advocate here...what about climatology and the sun angle if we get a foot ,, that would be the latest nyc ever got a foot of snow..and we are talking about decades when their was no climate change going back to `1869...

Until 2011 it never snowed in October before either. There's always a first

NWS is always going to give the worst case scenario as its concerned with public safety and would rather bust high than low.

I find that TWC is usually in the middle ground.

That being said, even NWS was low for me in the last storm. They were forecast in 6 and I got 9.5.

22 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Some pretty intense mid-level lift over almost the whole area tomorrow afternoon. It's too bad that models have this stalling further East now.

sketched_5ab1198542011.png

Not for us in and around NYC proper it isn't.  A small tick to the N/NW and we're in the jackpot zone, and the movement of the low a bit to the East probably got the Coast out of the mix zone and into the all snow area (though I have not seen anyone's reports on that).

1 minute ago, NYCGreg said:

Not for us in and around NYC proper it isn't.  A small tick to the N/NW and we're in the jackpot zone, and the movement of the low a bit to the East probably got the Coast out of the mix zone and into the all snow area (though I have not seen anyone's reports on that).

If the storm verified exactly as what the mid-levels are showing on the NAM, NYC would spend most of the storm right on the NW edge of the best banding. That's not a great place to be. We want that to shift a solid 30-40 miles inland.

Don't forget that for a storm like this, the models generally SLIGHTLY underestimate the N&W extent of the outermost band b/c of their resolution limits.  I.e there's normally a band of good lift at or just outside of the zone of highest modeled QPF (if you took the 12Z NAM verbatim, likely over NYC/Bergen Co.) then an area of relative subsidence then another wetter / warmer band (but still mainly snow, if the conditions are right) closer to the mid level low.  FWIW.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

If the storm verified exactly as what the mid-levels are showing on the NAM, NYC would spend most of the storm right on the NW edge of the best banding. That's not a great place to be. We want that to shift a solid 30-40 miles inland.

I hear you.  Banding is obviously a nowcasting type of thing, but storms this winter - for the most part, anyway - have had at least small ticks NW in their banding.  I guess the possible exception was last week's storm, but I'm not sure about that.  I'd rather not be in the jackpot zone right now, to be honest.  I'd also not like to need a 50-100 mile shift, like we needed for last week's storm, either.  I think this is a happy medium.

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived