Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Getting a little confused which was the better NAM today 12z or 18z?

To me they were about the same. The first wave has been consistently more impressive but warmer, ie sleet on the NAM but the second less impressive. The Euro makes the second wave more impressive and dampens the first. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

My friend took 6 hours to get from Forest Hills to Bellmore.  Problem is since it wasnt forecast everyone went to work or drove instead of taking the LIRR.  I was working a non weather job at that time and was lucky to have taken that Friday as a holiday by chance 

I don't remember much advance notice about this storm except that, working in a school system in NNJ it was obvious things were getting bad and we kept waiting for word of early dismissal, but the super was down in AC at a conference and it apparently wasn't as bad down there, so people started leaving on their own ( we don't teach classes in my dept ) and I just remember the supervisor running after people threatening them and they were telling her to stuff it. I think we had 14 inches and it was the biggest of the season. 

As for my thoughts on this, I honestly don’t know what to think. This can be very nice for everyone if the Euro outcome happens, and we have a good upper air evolution with the second wave. Even down here on the immediate coast it would probably be warning level because of the cold airmass. The NAM would be a sleetfest for at least the city and coast, and hopefully as the second wave comes in the heights crash enough to turn all to snow for a while. The GFS was overall lousy though and gives pause. I’m modestly optimistic we all do well, but I can see how it goes to crap with a weak or too warm first wave and the second doesn’t get going soon enough. Again very challenging and tough for forecasters. 

10 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

i've got the under

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Seriously, no way we are seeing those numbers. 6 inches would be impressive for this time of year IMHO, 10 would be memorable; I don't think the April 82 storm topped 10 IMBY. And people still talk about it.

Actually rap was right for the last storm it was not biting on those big totals for the city. I think nyc is looking good. Kinda reminds me of January 23, 2016 but a smaller scale obviously. Snowgoose or any red taggers any chance we get blizzard conditions as the low cranks Wednesday afternoon?

kinda look the same lol

C78ED343-3520-4FE7-A80F-65FD4D06AEB4.jpeg

382F12A4-47D1-4C9F-A38C-E65257975552.jpeg

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Seriously, no way we are seeing those numbers. 6 inches would be impressive for this time of year IMHO, 10 would be memorable; I don't think the April 82 storm topped 10 IMBY. And people still talk about it.

Well one of the reasons is it was April 6, which is over 2 weeks later than this one, it was the Yankees opening day, which was delayed three days because of the snow, and NYC received a foot of snow, forget the so called official 9.6 bull sh1t in Central Park, and it was in the mid to upper 20's throughtout most of the storm. I received a foot and a half in Rockland. On April 6th that's memorable. If it happens March 21, still memorable but not nearly as.

1 minute ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Actually rap was right for the last storm it was not biting on those big totals for the city. I think nyc is looking good. Kinda reminds me of January 23, 2016 but a smaller scale obviously. Snowgoose or any red taggers any chance we get blizzard conditions as the low cranks Wednesday afternoon?

that has 2' for nassau county - I will bet you anything on earth its incorrect...probably inflated by 75%

6 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Well one of the reasons is it was April 6, which is over 2 weeks later than this one, it was the Yankees opening day, which was delayed three days because of the snow, and NYC received a foot of snow, forget the so called official 9.6 bull sh1t in Central Park, and it was in the mid to upper 20's throughtout most of the storm. I received a foot and a half in Rockland. On April 6th that's memorable. If it happens March 21, still memorable but not nearly as.

Seemed like the apocalypse at the time....all the flounder in Raritan Bay were stunned by the storm and swam into the mouth of the Raritan River to find shallow waters. Old timers still talk about it; catching flounder off Perth Amboy.

Exciting as the RAP might be, some perspective is needed before taking what appears to be the most extreme solution seriously:

NYC's last 4" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 3/20-21/2015 4.5"

NYC's last 5" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 3/22/1998 5.0"

NYC's last 6" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 4/6/1982 9.6"

NYC's last 10" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 3/20-21/1958 11.8"

NYC has no 12" or greater snowstorms on record 3/20 or later.

One will need a strong consensus among the guidance before having confidence in the kind of historic outcome depicted on the RAP.

3 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Exciting as the RAP might be, some perspective is needed before taking what appears to be the most extreme solution seriously:

NYC's last 4" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 3/20-21/2015 4.5"

NYC's last 5" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 3/22/1998 5.0"

NYC's last 6" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 4/6/1982 9.6"

NYC's last 10" or greater snowstorm 3/20 or later: 3/20-21/1958 11.8"

NYC has no 12" or greater snowstorms on record 3/20 or later.

One will need a strong consensus among the guidance before having confidence in the kind of historic outcome depicted on the RAP.

There was a very cold April Snowstorm in April 2003 or April 2004 that gave several inches too I think

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Seemed like the apocalypse at the time....all the flounder in Raritan Bay were stunned by the storm and swam into the mouth of the Raritan River to find shallow waters. Old timers still talk about it; catching flounder off Perth Amboy.

That is interesting about Raritan Bay.

I've seen plenty of April snows in Orange County and a couple that had as much or more snow but the whole combination of that storm, wind , temperatures and the wide area it covered was pretty memorable. Plus the N&W suburbs got 2-4 inches three days later. I think the temperature in Manhattan the morning after got down to 19 or 21, if Uncle W, Don or Bluewave are on they could probably give the exact low on the 7th.

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

There was a very cold April Snowstorm in April 2003 or April 2004 that gave several inches too I think

It was in 2003 and it was 4-6 inches and snowed out opening day at Yankee stadium, just like the April 6, 1982 storm did.

They did clear out the stadium and play the next day with the rooftops on the apartment buildings overhanging the stadium still snow-covered in the game time temperature 33°.

Charlie Rose who did the Yankee games on radio then started off the broadcast with this line "It's a beautiful day for baseball, somewhere in the world certainly not here today".

Just now, doncat said:

Had 6.0" here April 7th 2003.

I had 7-8” that storm, and it all fell mid day. We can accumulate here as well as anyone late season when conditions and rates are right. It pounded here for a good 4-5 hours, and the jackpot area happened to be the I-78 corridor to the south shore. 

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived