Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I just think that you're going to have a hard time accumulating in the city, aside from parts of SI and Northern Queens. I guess you could group parts of upper Manhattan and the Bronx in there too.

If temps were 33-34 like the last three storms, I would be going with 1-3" in NYC. I think 3-6" is a good call, because you're going to lose some to melting even with great rates. If everything works out perfectly, then the city could do much better than that, or if the EPS is correct, maybe everyone misses.

It’s already accumulating here although it’s sleet. If it’s freezing or below there won’t be as many problems. 

19 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I just think that you're going to have a hard time accumulating in the city, aside from parts of SI and Northern Queens. I guess you could group parts of upper Manhattan and the Bronx in there too.

If temps were 33-34 like the last three storms, I would be going with 1-3" in NYC. I think 3-6" is a good call, because you're going to lose some to melting even with great rates. If everything works out perfectly, then the city could do much better than that, or if the EPS is correct, maybe everyone misses.

Disagree.  As modeled, snowfall rates of 1" or more per hour will easily exceed NYC melting rates (except maybe streets over subways that are abnormally warm) and once there's a layer of 32F snow, the rest of the snow accumulates easily even at midday, with the high albedo of the snow cover, especially with surface temps below 32F most of the day (indirect solar radiation has little melting effect on newly fallen snow).  Certainly the Park will accumulate easily.  

Plotter.php?lat=40.758&lon=-73.986&wfo=OKX&zcode=NYZ072&gset=20&gdiff=10&unit=0&tinfo=EY5&ahour=0&pcmd=11011111111110000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000&lg=en&indu=1!1!1!&dd=&bw=&hrspan=48&pqpfhr=6&psnwhr=6

6 minutes ago, weatherbear5 said:

i pulled the NAM soundings from coordinates in NW Suffolk, and, verbatim, there's a 3 hour window between 18-21z where it looks isothermal along the 0C between 875 and 775... a line which is a dangerous line to walk, though the heaviest precip is after this point anyway. that being said, other than that the soundings don't look terribly sleety.

On the 3k it peaks at +2C around 775mb at 21Z over my head.  SkewT graphically shows a pretty deep above freezing layer for 3 or 4 hours.  From that view, we might also be in a relative dry slot at that time.   On the 12k NAM its all snow.

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Disagree.  As modeled, snowfall rates of 1" or more per hour will easily exceed NYC melting rates (except maybe streets over subways that are abnormally warm) and once there's a layer of 32F snow, the rest of the snow accumulates easily even at midday, with the high albedo of the snow cover, especially with surface temps below 32F most of the day (indirect solar radiation has little melting effect on newly fallen snow).  Certainly the Park will accumulate easily.  

Plotter.php?lat=40.758&lon=-73.986&wfo=OKX&zcode=NYZ072&gset=20&gdiff=10&unit=0&tinfo=EY5&ahour=0&pcmd=11011111111110000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000&lg=en&indu=1!1!1!&dd=&bw=&hrspan=48&pqpfhr=6&psnwhr=6

Might just be our storm this time. We'll see. Not really thrilled with losing the day at school, as we are making up days already. But might as well enjoy the ride.

6 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

It's also less useful at this range. Euro is the only global I care about right now, and mainly because it's an outlier. 

Euro is nothing special in this range either, especially since it’s a global (ie relatively low res compared to the NAM and RGEM) and doesn’t allow convection.

15 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

On the 3k it peaks at +2C around 775mb at 21Z over my head.  SkewT graphically shows a pretty deep above freezing layer for 3 or 4 hours.  From that view, we might also be in a relative dry slot at that time.   On the 12k NAM its all snow.

Good point, I should have clarified I was basing it on 12k NAM, not 3K which is undoubtedly more sleety.

My rule of thumb is to be cautious with large isothermal layers. The fact that it exists is indicative of melting in that layer. That, combined with my observations about undergoing mid-level WAA makes me weary of more sleet (for a brief time) on the 12k NAM. Overall though, even with that concern my forecast is 7-14 and feel as though even if my concerns verified about the sleet, it would still be good for the lower end of the range. If it weren't for the sleet concern I'd probably go 10-16.

I think we're in a good spot in NW Suffolk

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived