Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

i understand that, but you specifically said interior...the interior with those soundings is not gonna be 7:1..... i just snowed at 34 degrees and marginal 850 and accumulated 19" no problem

On how much liquid? And the interior is more than just your backyard or Animals. I had 21” here on like 2.5” LE. That’s less than 10:1.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It’s the coldest storm of the last 4, that’s why I’m going bullish with 4-8” in NYC. I can also see how the best banding stays over the interior and the city gets stuck in subsidence 

We will not know about the banding until the storm gets cranking.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

On how much liquid? And the interior is more than just your backyard or Animals. I had 21” here on like 2.5” LE. That’s less than 10:1.

Ridgewood had about 10" on similar LE. The differences as you get further north and west can be pretty astounding.

5 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

The ground has been cold...dont forget it's been unusually cold I don't think we'll have problems sticking even in Manhattan if temps are below 32 like nam says. Nam snow map and rap remind me of Jan 2016 blizzard 

The temperature hit 46 degrees today in Central Park and 42 yesteday.

2 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Yeah, pointing out a blizzard isn't fair. Everyone here knows the problems Manhattan has accumulating. Obviously Northern Manhattan fares better with more vegetation, less subways, and elevation.

The only reason why we didn't accumulate the last 3 storms I'll tell you is because we were 33-35 degrees. I swear if we were below freezing we would have been fine

1 minute ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

The only reason why we didn't accumulate the last 3 storms I'll tell you is because we were 33-35 degrees. I swear if we were below freezing we would have been fine

We didn't even need that. We would've done fine without subsidence. That lull killed us. 

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

I like Bernie but that's irresponsible. I'm not saying that doesn't verify, but guidance doesn't support that. 

It’s a little conservative, but not by a lot. Learn from the last 3 storms. This storm has a colder surface, but all kinds of warm layers aloft. The coast could lose a lot to sleet.

2 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

That's a good call, this is largely a daytime main event too.

That's too low 

This storm will feature banding which who knows where they will set up. H5 is going to close off and the storm will stall and rot.

I think Upton has the right idea with 8-12 inches.

Bernie and BW can go with whatever they want in NYC.  Judging by the last few storms, it's hard to be bullish in NYC when the NWS busted big time on the last two.  Nonetheless, my primary - though not only - concern would be surface temps.  If temps are in the upper 20s to 30 (and sometimes those temps are even overdone), we can get the mid-level temps down, even if it through dynamic cooling.  And sometimes the models underestimate that as well.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

It’s a little conservative, but not by a lot. Learn from the last 3 storms. This storm has a colder surface, but all kinds of warm layers aloft. The coast could lose a lot to sleet.

Sleet will make the snow stick easier.

Also , rgem is alot colder than the Nam. The  nam is the warmest so far.

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Well one of the reasons is it was April 6, which is over 2 weeks later than this one, it was the Yankees opening day, which was delayed three days because of the snow, and NYC received a foot of snow, forget the so called official 9.6 bull sh1t in Central Park, and it was in the mid to upper 20's throughtout most of the storm. I received a foot and a half in Rockland. On April 6th that's memorable. If it happens March 21, still memorable but not nearly as.

I was in Manhattan that day on a day off from school.  Getting off the train at Penn station and crossing the street at 34th street the streets were covered, air was filled with swirling, blowing snow and we heard loud thunder.  It was the real deal...nothing at all like the recent wet snows...and on April 6th.  A repeat in April would shut the sun anglers up.  Some LI photos here (apologies in advance that the outdated html kinda sucks):

http://www.northshorewx.com/19820406.html

19820407-4cE.jpg

11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It’s the coldest storm of the last 4, that’s why I’m going bullish with 4-8” in NYC. I can also see how the best banding stays over the interior and the city gets stuck in subsidence 

If NYC gets into the banding, 4-8 will be conservative if anything.  Of course, most of that will come down to nowcasting.

I guess we'll see I'm calling for 8 inches for  central park right now if all models stay put I can understand why people don't want to pull the trigger, the writing was on the wall each storm for NYC this month the temps were in the 33-35 range the whole time you can't accumulate snow in midtown if it's not below freezing and it doesn't snow 35dbz at least. But this time is around we will have that (we should) long lasting storm and sleet to cover the somewhat warm ground. Plus below freezing surface temps all other levels will crash once the low starts cranking. I guess well see in 48hrs

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived