Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I doubt anyone uses this map

It’s been pretty spot on for our marginal events March this year. Even when the 3k NAM was spitting out 1foot+ totals on 10:1 maps for the 5 boroughs the snow depth map was giving a more realistic 2-4 3-6.  

Trust me I don’t like using it but we kind of have no choice for March/April events at least.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

It's more accurate in this case IMO

It has nailed the (lack of) accumulating snow in Manhattan for the last 3 systems. It actually has overdone totals during those systems. :(

This would have been such an incredible stretch if we were in January or February, instead we've had these awesome systems that just don't stick to anything in the city. The last 2 storms both had periods where the snow started to stick for a brief period, and then washed off within an hour.

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I doubt anyone uses this map

That map looks realistic to me. Account for sleet and melting.

I know the airmass is colder this time around but we will need heavy rates for a long period of time to get any meaningful accumulation, will come down to another nowcast situation. If the city gets anything less than hours of heavy snow, it's going to be another disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

I know the airmass is colder this time around but we will need heavy rates for a long period of time to get any meaningful accumulation, will come down to another nowcast situation. If the city gets anything less than hours of heavy snow, it's going to be another disappointment. 

If we’d been using that map this March we would all have gone through a lot less disappointment. Missing on 2-4 or 3-6 events doesn’t hit you as hard as seeing nada from 6-12...

4 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

It depends on location. For coastal CT it has been way too low the past two storms. However I believe it has been more accurate for LI and the City.

2 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

the jet streak is still back in southern Georgia - would be tremendous lift up along the coast there. it's a huge hit.

I see what you're saying, it closes off in the perfect location. It's a really close call for the interior though.

1 minute ago, nycwinter said:

a few hours wins 1010 was thinking this storm was a miss maybe a inch or 2...on non paved surfaces.. they are always the last to come to the dinner table...

This had to be about 25 years ago, but 1010 wins was predicting three inches of snow.  A person called into the station and said we have more than three inches of snow on the roads right now.  I was in school at that point, so I didn't have time to listen after that, but it was still hysterical.

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

Tues AM Through Thurs AM - exact timing of precip is too complex this far out - but I am sure someone here thinks they have it fiqured out exactly:facepalm:

Yeah even I figured out that much :) I'm trying to get an idea of if the precip is going to make it north of the immediate metro when that might happen. If I can get home by ~6pm or so will travel conditions still be reasonable or will it start getting dicey by then. It's just about which car I use tomorrow.

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived