Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-22nd "Welcome to Spring" MECS/1958 Redux Threat

The Iceman

10 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Days, most likely just grass/non paved unless intensity builds. It will probably melt even on the grass while it's snowing as well during the day. Nights, better chance of stickage.

I keeping my expectations in check. I'll be happy w/a couple inches of plastered lawns/trees/power lines (scenic) and maybe a slushy "something" on paved surfaces.

That's how I recall that particular event -- a coating would start to accumulate on the grass, then intensity would drop and snow would melt. A few hours later it would start all over again. Yeah, my expectations are in check, too. To me, anything after March 1 is bonus snow.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS is a nice look.....HP slightly stronger....anchored in nicely. Some wiggle room. Slow moving system. Pieces are a little out of sync but barely. A SECS but close to a bigger even.....really close. All signs starting to point favorably. Im in my wallet at the train station about to pay up and get my ticket punched.

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

18z GFS is a nice look.....HP slightly stronger....anchored in nicely. Some wiggle room. Slow moving system. Pieces are a little out of sync but barely. A SECS but close to a bigger even.....really close. All signs starting to point favorably. Im in my wallet at the train station about to pay up and get my ticket punched.

Not me I just got the giant royal bustorama a week ago at game time and next weeks storm has as many pieces as the antikythera device

Has the feel of a March 2001

Yes, its time to get excited. The Lehigh Valley just may get more than 3 inches of snow for this event. We have been totally and I mean totally screwed with each one of these Miller B transfer storms as the banding has setup in NJ and SEPA. From 12-18 in forecast to 3 inch snowfalls and all other snow events have melted on the pavement so the accumulations have been on the grass which also has melted in a few days. Those living in eastern Lancaster, Berks and Lehigh Counties have been in the same donut hole since December while the coasts and lower Delaware Valley have been raking it in  I am hoping that this event is entirely nocturnal so the sun angle and warm surfaces allows snow accumulation this time. I have only seen the plows used one time and that was just to push slush off the road so it would not freeze. This winter has been the winter from hell IMHO. Every model jumps from 1-18 in of snow, thus every event is a nowcast event. Can any one tell me the last time ahe GFS, Euro and NAM agreed on the same snow amounts? I may have to go back to 1958 (LMAO) to find it. 

Not me I just got the giant royal bustorama a week ago at game time and next weeks storm has as many pieces as the antikythera device

Has the feel of a March 2001

I will book you a room at a Monmouth County hotel if u r willing to take that sacrifice so the rest of us can get hammered with a SECS/MECS. TIA ;-)

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The biggest concern I have right now is still suppression AND the fact that every system this season has shown SIGNIFICANT adjustments/changes with 48 hours or less to go.

Funny I'm still more worried about the primary trending north with time ruining temps aloft over suppression. Point two of course concerns me as well. Feel a little better that unlike last week the pieces seem more in sync rather than a jumbled mess that comes together too late. Still time for the models to throw an extra shortwave or 2 out of nowhere that screw something up though as we've seen this winter.

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

Yes, its time to get excited. The Lehigh Valley just may get more than 3 inches of snow for this event. We have been totally and I mean totally screwed with each one of these Miller B transfer storms as the banding has setup in NJ and SEPA. From 12-18 in forecast to 3 inch snowfalls and all other snow events have melted on the pavement so the accumulations have been on the grass which also has melted in a few days. Those living in eastern Lancaster, Berks and Lehigh Counties have been in the same donut hole since December while the coasts and lower Delaware Valley have been raking it in  I am hoping that this event is entirely nocturnal so the sun angle and warm surfaces allows snow accumulation this time. I have only seen the plows used one time and that was just to push slush off the road so it would not freeze. This winter has been the winter from hell IMHO. Every model jumps from 1-18 in of snow, thus every event is a nowcast event. Can any one tell me the last time ahe GFS, Euro and NAM agreed on the same snow amounts? I may have to go back to 1958 (LMAO) to find it. 

I feel your pain same out here, Id rather a driving rainstorm or sunny weather. rather than watch another plaster job to my East

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

I also feel your pain here in Lanc. Co.  The Reading, Lancaster and Harrisburg area have been totally screwed this winter.  These miller b's and sharp cutoff storms have been wreaking havoc on our area.  Whatever happened to the more snow North and West days?  

There are many pieces out there in time and distance that the models are still resolving and will be well into the weekend. What I like is the potential, with the 50/50 low slowly easing away, NAO in transition, a high above the Great Lakes blocking any primary from heading that way and helping with a cold air supply, and no vort diving down through there either. For now, ha ha.  Those details make for a different setup this time around, especially with respect to potential duration. Let's see how this evolves. What I do know is that I'm enjoying the feeling of potential in the air! 

53 minutes ago, Birdbean said:

I also feel your pain here in Lanc. Co.  The Reading, Lancaster and Harrisburg area have been totally screwed this winter.  These miller b's and sharp cutoff storms have been wreaking havoc on our area.  Whatever happened to the more snow North and West days?  

Even here in Royersford I have felt the screw job. That is why I am more excited than usual about a late March snow chance. I admit I am ready for warmth if this hits us.

1 hour ago, Birdbean said:

Here you go western burbs...GFS.

gfs.jpg

Hilarious run it trends north which should have meant more snow but we get less lol
and yes Monmouth hits it big so it could be right

Hmmmm

Not happy to see monmouth in that zone this early. I would have to go digging in order to find past events in my lifetime that had that performance in the second half of March.....or even more precisely the last third.

Climo for March 2018 certainly has its own ideas for monmouth.....and it started with storm one at 815am when the heavy rain changed to snow and never looked back.

Now having a place in the poconos since 1993.....I can recall the March plastering for that zone.....and its been a while since I had to bring in the bobcat ☃️☃️

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GEFS arent horrible. Favors NW and elevated areas as there is clustering tight to the coast like the Euro.

The coastal hugger solutions are almost inland runners on the gefs...would easily be all rain for 95 and likely precip issues up to Mt pocono if that happens. A coastal hugger at this time of year is going to have a warm layer shoot all the way to the poconos just like last march. 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_22.png

imo the closer to the coast solution makes the most sense with the -NAO breaking down...looking like a normal climo event with 95 rain and NW heavy wet snow. 
Agreed. We r running out of wiggle room for our respective areas tho I think there will be some significant changes still over the next 48-60 hours irt evolution of this event. Every system this season has made robust adjustments up until 36-48 hour lead times so I dont see why this would be anu different.

The coastal hugger solutions are almost inland runners on the gefs...would easily be all rain for 95 and likely precip issues up to Mt pocono if that happens. A coastal hugger at this time of year is going to have a warm layer shoot all the way to the poconos just like last march. 
gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_22.png&key=65c2bae712db3c1d9cc0c21723e697ef25679975092ab707856a8dc29f35c1da

That is a crippling snow event verbatim though well N and W and elevated areas. There is your potential March 1958 depiction.

Archived