• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Old Content Related Mid Atlantic Winter Storms

Cobalt

Just coming up with a thread I thought others may like. This is just a bunch of older posts/videos related to previous blizzards/winter storms. If anyone wants to add their personal videos/other videos or even other content (snowfall maps, OBS threads, whatnot). 

March/1-2/2009 (3/1-2/2009)

Radar Loop

Videos:

Surface Maps:

CurSur_20090302-02Z.jpg.9bec709313b6f90030e291dbc43bda47.jpg

CurSur_20090302-08Z.jpg.8ad0c19cf38c2c0861a9d84aae4d369b.jpg

Snow totals (From http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com)

NJSnow-02Mar09.png.072508c9e9409a7f6ad1cab97aaa0bad.png

Airport Totals:

DCA: 5.5"

BWI: 5.8"

IAD: 6.0"

RIC: 6.3"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December/5/2009 (12/5/2009)

Radar Loop:

Videos:

Surface Maps:

CurrSur_20091205-18Z.jpg.99c907716a8dfbf156f782a8656828d6.jpg

Snow totals: 

NJSnow_20091205.png.d0509e2c2b750d37493669306c1171e5.png

Airport Totals:

DCA: T

BWI: 1.0"

IAD: 3.0" 

RIC: T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@CobaltI saw in one of the other threads that you found the web archive version of the old board.  Back years ago, when the server was still active, I had copied a bunch of the links over for our big events.  But when the server went down for good, the links went dead.  If you, or someone else, wanted to somewhat recreate what I had done, that would be cool.  There are some gems in there.  

k

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

@CobaltI saw in one of the other threads that you found the web archive version of the old board.  Back years ago, when the server was still active, I had copied a bunch of the links over for our big events.  But when the server went down for good, the links went dead.  If you, or someone else, wanted to somewhat recreate what I had done, that would be cool.  There are some gems in there.  

k

Looking through, it appears as if only a couple pages are archived. Archived times I see are Feb 1st (most Jan 30th storm threads aren't accessible), Feb 4th 2010 (most storm threads aren't accessible either), and Feb 13th, 2010 (only goes to page 3, so no Blizzards of 2010). I will keep on looking though & hopefully I can get some good finds

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Its a damn SHAME that easternuswx forum is forever only a memory. A real SHAME.

It really is. My assumption is there are some people that have some good memories saved to their PC's (a storm thread, a PBP of an epic Euro run, or something like that). 

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

It really is. My assumption is there are some people that have some good memories saved to their PC's (a storm thread, a PBP of an epic Euro run, or something like that). 

I don't have any threads saved that I know of, but I'll check to see if i have anything on my old flash drives or saved on my computer somewhere

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Looking into the thread that MN Transplant linked is honestly incredibly sad. The death of that abundance of information during potentially the best wintry period of our natural lives (also one I happened to not remember due to age, how foolish!) adds insult to injury. I'm mainly revisiting this because of this winters' end, since the offseason feels like a good period of time to attempt to reconstruct information from winters' past. There does seem to be a period of archival from the Wayback Machine which shows what the page looked like just hours before onset of Feb 5 blizzard. In fact, the main link that connects us to that snapshot happens to also show the radar imagery. I find this incredibly ominous, tbh. It's completely frozen in time, which adds to the mysteriousness of the lost information, yet it still shows the onset of a once-in-a-lifetime stretch of snow. 

1099178198_cd26fa7cff4363b62470b0d7117d9d49(1).thumb.png.0e5fc41b66cbb0e4b5441799f85d3121.png

Past that, the Weather Forecasting and Discussion board hosts the most promise: 

http://web.archive.org/web/20100204094738/http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showforum=15

Here, some of the threads actually do work. Even if the images appear to be dead (except for some), the content of these posts still does happen to exist. The most captivating one to me was @donsutherland1's analysis of similar ENSO and blocking periods. Others here might remember that well, but it is just purely fascinating to see the synoptic view of what was to come. That can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100130093856/http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=219983

Outside of that however.. things came up dry. Attempting to utilize the Wayback Machines' page saving feature fell just short. It was close, and in fact the only thing separating me from accessing some of the individual OBS threads was a few errors.. if I were more tech savvy I would've pushed further, but for now it's not viable. Perhaps a different tool can be utilized to revive those half-dead links. 

There's still some pages of interest to be found there. It's kind of comedic though, since the OBS threads from Feb 10-12 (based on a snapshot from Feb 12) exist. Yet, it seems like everything from Feb 5 to early Feb 10 is MIA. It's a real shame, but not much can be done. If anyone wants to explore the links to see if they can find anything interesting, it's posted above. Not expecting much out of it. The idea of trying to reconstruct it was started off by me as a 14 year old weenie, so obviously that excitement of reminiscing has calmed down just a bit. The archival on this board doesn't make sense either given that the file limit constrains everything, but perhaps it can be done elsewhere. Just goes to show that everything that can be found on the internet is permanent.. until it isn't. 

• Like 4

On 3/28/2018 at 12:42 AM, yoda said:

I don't have any threads saved that I know of, but I'll check to see if i have anything on my old flash drives or saved on my computer somewhere

Yeah oops... completely forgot about this.  I will check my old computer and see if they is anything on it.

I do have a bunch of saved model images from the month of Jan 2016 in my attachments folder... almost three pages worth lol

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

Yeah oops... completely forgot about this.  I will check my old computer and see if they is anything on it.

I do have a bunch of saved model images from the month of Jan 2016 in my attachments folder... almost three pages worth lol

Haha no worries. I'd imagine that will certainly be useful at some point, since a fair bit of images from that timeframe were taken down to conserve file space. For now I'm going to focus on pre-AmWX events, since most of our events following that are entirely intact. 09-10 and earlier are a completely different story. 

2 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Looking into the thread that MN Transplant linked is honestly incredibly sad. The death of that abundance of information during potentially the best wintry period of our natural lives (also one I happened to not remember due to age, how foolish!) adds insult to injury. I'm mainly revisiting this because of this winters' end, since the offseason feels like a good period of time to attempt to reconstruct information from winters' past. There does seem to be a period of archival from the Wayback Machine which shows what the page looked like just hours before onset of Feb 5 blizzard. In fact, the main link that connects us to that snapshot happens to also show the radar imagery. I find this incredibly ominous, tbh. It's completely frozen in time, which adds to the mysteriousness of the lost information, yet it still shows the onset of a once-in-a-lifetime stretch of snow. 

1099178198_cd26fa7cff4363b62470b0d7117d9d49(1).thumb.png.0e5fc41b66cbb0e4b5441799f85d3121.png

Past that, the Weather Forecasting and Discussion board hosts the most promise: 

http://web.archive.org/web/20100204094738/http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showforum=15

Here, some of the threads actually do work. Even if the images appear to be dead (except for some), the content of these posts still does happen to exist. The most captivating one to me was @donsutherland1's analysis of similar ENSO and blocking periods. Others here might remember that well, but it is just purely fascinating to see the synoptic view of what was to come. That can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100130093856/http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=219983

Outside of that however.. things came up dry. Attempting to utilize the Wayback Machines' page saving feature fell just short. It was close, and in fact the only thing separating me from accessing some of the individual OBS threads was a few errors.. if I were more tech savvy I would've pushed further, but for now it's not viable. Perhaps a different tool can be utilized to revive those half-dead links. 

There's still some pages of interest to be found there. It's kind of comedic though, since the OBS threads from Feb 10-12 (based on a snapshot from Feb 12) exist. Yet, it seems like everything from Feb 5 to early Feb 10 is MIA. It's a real shame, but not much can be done. If anyone wants to explore the links to see if they can find anything interesting, it's posted above. Not expecting much out of it. The idea of trying to reconstruct it was started off by me as a 14 year old weenie, so obviously that excitement of reminiscing has calmed down just a bit. The archival on this board doesn't make sense either given that the file limit constrains everything, but perhaps it can be done elsewhere. Just goes to show that everything that can be found on the internet is permanent.. until it isn't. 

That was a truly amazing period that unfolded. It was the Middle Atlantic Region’s version of New England’s “Great Snow.”

On 12/21/2013 at 2:13 PM, mitchnick said:

who's running Eastern now and is there any way to save the threads in the event Eastern is closed for good?

mitchnick with the prescient thoughts prior to the board going down.  Sadly, the server is probably now in a dump somewhere since the guy who bought(?) it passed away. 

3 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Haha no worries. I'd imagine that will certainly be useful at some point, since a fair bit of images from that timeframe were taken down to conserve file space. For now I'm going to focus on pre-AmWX events, since most of our events following that are entirely intact. 09-10 and earlier are a completely different story. 

It is weirdly hit-and-miss on what links open and what don't.  It is fun to see the titles, but man would I like to read those threads again.  Guess I'll look up 2016...

^^ That radar imagery for the WAA portion is killer. Def has a spot near #1 for front end thump snows. Possibly only with competition from PDII (since Feb 5 wasted some precip on marginal temps and got more of a nudge from the pivot, etc). It's a shame that the pivot was essentially on top of the NW burbs of DC.  Feb 5 stands out to me as possibly the only time in a HECS hybrid type event that we've had (so excluding Dec 09') where the pivot was basically perfect for DC. Maybe that's due to the system having less neg tilt?? Still, the CCB for '16 was something to behold as well. Good find. 

• Like 1

Looking back at how truly insane February 2010 was it makes me so sad that I was just a bit to young to remember it. Then for 2016 I had pneumonia and don't really even remember the storm itself. Then once I started to slightly understand how snow storms happen we stopped getting them. :(