Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Grading Winter 2017-2018

SnowLover22

How would you grade winter 2017-2018

Well for me winter started out nice we Had a nice storm Dec 8th around 4 inches. Then a nice event in early January and a nice event or to in February to top it off with my biggest storm of 1 foot coming in March. So my grade for this winter would be a C+ The reason is even though I ended up around climo it seemed like we should have ended with more snow with the amount of threats that we had.

6 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

It's definitely a "B/B+" just about everywhere....Feb screw things up w/the warm temps. I would give it an "A" if we had a little more action in Feb.

Winter doesn't only mean snow but frigid cold....wind...sleet/frz rain....good holiday weather.

I'm B+ right now...

I'm close giving it a B 

The month long absence of winter(similar to 2006) takes off points as does my busts, easily could have been one of the greats with an A despite the warmth had early Jan and last Wed not been inland busts.

Just now, RedSky said:

I'm close giving it a B 

The month long absence of winter(similar to 2006) takes off points as does my busts, easily could have been one of the greats with an A despite the warmth had early Jan and last Wed

not been inland busts.

We had a good wintry holiday season...cold as balls Jan....super solid March so far...and 40"+ total...it's easily a B/B+. Anyone who gives it anything less than a B is nuts...

47 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

C- at best for me out here, yeah it started out great with the cold and nickle dime snows. But I sit at 20" for the season with the inland curse, Reading has been the snow hole this year with the exception of that nice 8" surprise in Feb. that was gone by noon the next day. 

That's pretty crazy you only have 20" on the season. I have 40" on the season and we live in the same county not too far apart. Not to mention I don't have some crazy elevation difference compared to you, although I will admit there is some elevation help. I would grade the winter at a "B" right now. Snowfall is above average (33 inches is normal) but most of my snow fell in December and March. If we can get another 6+ inch event later this month, it would certainly boost the morale.

Below average winter. Unreal cold snap for two weeks that was useless, there is no reason to be 8 degrees outside if it's not going to snow lol, a bunch of small wintry events with really nothing ever sticking around too long. Now March is miserable with cold temperatures and dismal threats lol. Just hang it up old man winter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'd grade this winter a B/B+ and it's one more SECS away from being an A despite the awful February. The fact I'm sitting at 34" of snow with only getting 1 event more than 6" and no events over 10" is really impressive here. Means we had an active winter with snow events. December was great with the cold and snow seemingly every week. January had the snowicane that overperformed here. Feb sucked. March had one of the best snowstorms I've ever experienced. This was a great winter for the immidiate philly burbs and we aren't done yet imo

Solid B here. December was good - 4 snows for 10.3"; January was cold enough - 4 snows for 7.3" one of which was a dusting. February had 1 snow for 2.5". It started out well, but with the long period from January 5th to March 1st (almost 2 months) with a total of 5.2" of snowfall, it was feeling pretty C-ish. It could have gone either way depending on March. I know some don't care for March snows due to melting, etc., etc., but I am really enjoying this and I'd be hard pressed to not give this winter a decent grade. If next week turns into something it could go to B+. For me the A category is for winters like 2013-14, although if we have a 1958 redux next week, it'll have to be an A :-).

Anyone have official totals for winter for Philly? Can't even be half of that 56 number. Wasn't all that cold, wasn't all that warm, wasn't really all that snowy until late either. I'd rather have it hit us hard early as the sun is coming out stronger and longer by now, and winter really is starting to overstay it's welcome. That's how it goes sometimes though.

52 minutes ago, hurricane1091 said:

Anyone have official totals for winter for Philly? Can't even be half of that 56 number. Wasn't all that cold, wasn't all that warm, wasn't really all that snowy until late either. I'd rather have it hit us hard early as the sun is coming out stronger and longer by now, and winter really is starting to overstay it's welcome. That's how it goes sometimes though.

Mt. Holly's climo products are here (6th section down) - https://www.weather.gov/phi/ProductIndex

I don't think they have compiled for the season yet (last update was January) but you can total the monthlies and the recent storms to get a good guess at it.

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Updated to an A-........with 56.4" here for the winter with cold and snow every month DJFM no way it could be less. A straight 'A' could have been achieved without any of the thaws and an 'A+' if we broke the all-time seasonal snowfall record. Again, amazing season.

I'm probably in the same boat (A-). You really can't go much higher because Feb was pretty much a mess and late season snows. While March snows add to the season total they don't carry as much weight (grading) as DJF IMO... 

A reluctant A-

Approx 54.5" for winter has it right there with 2003 and 2015 but give me those anytime

* How about many of us near the same total kinda freaky

Btw enough cold high pressure close by woukdn't be shocked to add something first week of April 

I'm probably in the same boat (A-). You really can't go much higher because Feb was pretty much a mess and late season snows. While March snows add to the season total they don't carry as much weight (grading) as DJF IMO... 

This winter was prime example why I relocated from Delco to Central Bucks 8 years ago. Still close to family, work, etc....more land, lower taxes. Had the option to move to SE Bucks (Bensalem/Bristol) but for a few reasons chose to be farther NW....obviously my passion for winter weather being one factor. I'm not surprised how many times there is a steep snow gradient between here in Warminster and SE closer to Bensalem.

Truly a book-ended winter. Late Nov., December and the first week or two of January were amazing, mid-January through February was brutally boring, and March has been about as non-stop as December was. IMBY it "feels" like a B, B+ with the lull occurring in the heart of winter, but is probably more realistically an A, A- when feelings are taken out of it.

31 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

This winter was prime example why I relocated from Delco to Central Bucks 8 years ago. Still close to family, work, etc....more land, lower taxes. Had the option to move to SE Bucks (Bensalem/Bristol) but for a few reasons chose to be farther NW....obviously my passion for winter weather being one factor. I'm not surprised how many times there is a steep snow gradient between here in Warminster and SE closer to Bensalem.

I remember so many times growing up in Levittown that Council Rock and Central Bucks Schools would have off while Pennsbury had nothing due to this. Almost every borderline event, Warminster stays frozen at least a hour or two longer or sees significantly more snow than lower bucks. Especially ice events, I remember several ice storms that were barely a nuisance down here but were high impact events up there.  The difference in climate despite being only 10-15 miles apart is pretty drastic. 

On 3/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, Ralph Wiggum said:

You aren't kidding about the gradients.  Even in 2009-10, at one point I had measured 28.8" locally (Hatboro), while at the airport they had measured a total of 54.5" - that's only a 20-mile difference.  That's sort of the inverse of the gradient you describe, I suppose, but in most instances you're right.  It seems the best banding favors mid-to-west Montco/Bucks.  As a kid, it was much more common to have mixture or rain in the lower counties while upper Bucks and Berks got snowed in.

Archived