Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Skylar is over. Congrats on Toby though. 

Ha we'll just move into the next named storm.

Its definitely picked up again this morning, snowing 1/4sm to 1/2sm at times.  With the drop in temperatures the flakes are over to that high ratio upslope that you'll find with summit temps near 10F.

GFS actually keeps precip going into tomorrow morning possibly.  Hard to believe it started around dawn on Tuesday.

March_16.thumb.jpg.b5792a9212ed9f85da64d9501fb469d4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, I know.....not at all being defensive.

I'm serious.....would like analysis from someone skilled to corroborate.

I think it’s simple. You got a fluff job and the timing of your clearing probably allowed for primo stacking as the best bands moved in. I don’t think your measuring was flawed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Don't be afraid to be honest...if you want to call BS, please do....I stand by it, and I think your work will confirm that.

Appreciate the analysis.

FYI...check out the Reading, MA coop for April 1997...total snowfall was 27", but max depth was 21".

My max depth was 23.7"..snowfall 31".

Earlier on this thread you told me your depth was 24 plus?

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think it’s simple. You got a fluff job and the timing of your clearing probably allowed for primo stacking as the best bands moved in. I don’t think your measuring was flawed.

To answer your other question....I think April 1997 was much more impressive, but I enjoyed this one the most.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

To answer your other question....I think April 1997 was much more impressive, but I enjoy this one the most.

There is something about being the “lucky” unexpected one to jack. I remember feeling that, after the long duration Feb 2015 storm. I did not expect that much snow. I had to take a walk to admire what transpired. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There is something about being the “lucky” unexpected one to jack. I remember feeling that, after the long duration Feb 2015 storm. I did not expect that much snow. I had to take a walk to admire what transpired. 

That, and I was awake for the peak of this one.

I crashed at midnight with 1' in the ground in 1997.

3.62LE on 4/1 vs 1.7" on 3/13?

No contest, there.

BTW, I actually started suspecting my area was going to jack just before and as the event started....

1) It began as rain, which oddly enough excited me because I knew damn well KPYM wasn't going to jack and the system was a bit west and warmer than progged.

2) The death band moved near Montaulk PT, which is a pretty good proxy for systems that nail my area.

As an aside, I think this season would have made a run for the seasonal record had a weak el nino developed as I had thought last summer...no way we would have punted Feb.

This was the radar when Ray cleared....he cleared at the 5pm mark, and this is probably about 3-4 inches per hour type snow over him at the time so it was definitely a perfect time to clear to optimize high totals....

Mar13_530pmRadar.gif.6e210db7353dd59e57cf1856c474a956.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You get the best bands out east. I’ve really been in two legit bands iirc. Dec 10 while living in CNJ and Jan 11 while visiting the wifey at DXR. Missed Feb 13. 

Twice in 78 83 87 96 (Jan and April) 01 03 05 (Jan and Dec) 07 10 11 13 15 18 (Jan and March) 19

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 3/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, BombsAway1288 said:

Lol once again Pete B mentioned it this time saying "Some controversy regarding the top spot. After speaking to someone who is close to the reporter of the 31 in Wilmington" he then said the same thing about the 6 hour clearing method saying "this is the right way to measure snow" and "the NWS said 'what? 31in is too high' but I think it's good and very close to the 28.3 report Methuen." Lol this is getting hysterical. 

I somehow JUST saw this BombsAwasy1288!  

So Pete Bouchard Actually DID mention me by "Speaking to someone (Cory) close to the reporter (Ray) of the 31" in Wilmington..."   That's Awesome!  I somehow missed that!  

Yes, I'm looking back through the Poor Man's 12/09/05 in February 2017, and this, the Ray Jackpot Blizzard of March 2018 for the 2 Best Storms in Recent Memory. BOTH OF WHICH I Missed!  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I remember this one well, the last blizzard of the 2017-2018 winter. Haven’t had a great region wide New England winter like that since. That winter had it all, arctic air in Dec- mid Jan, multiple blizzards, and pretty good snowpack retention. There really was something for everyone, hell even Torch Tiger got in on that winter when some areas hit 80 in late Feb.