Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Tip is right about one thing, measuring as close to the end of the snowfall as possible is ideal (and recommended by the way).

But if you think about this all in an impact sense, what makes more sense: plows waiting until the snow stops and removing snow, or plows nearly continuously keeping roads clear? I would argue a plow operator is much closer to observing the 6 hourly snowfall amounts than the 24 hourly. 

It's one thing we've discussed internally about the 6" in 12 hours vs 9" in 24 hours warning criteria. If anything the lighter, longer duration 9" in 24 hours is more impactful because road crews are out longer.

Where talking about amount of snow that fell and accumulated.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Every time you think it's going to stop it seems to pick back up again.

Just snowing moderate snow all morning but with wind visibility is under 1/4 at times.  Very windy too.  Been snowing for over 48 hours straight at this point.

xL4rzk1.gif

What vehicle rescues a snow cat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Tip is right about one thing, measuring as close to the end of the snowfall as possible is ideal (and recommended by the way).

But if you think about this all in an impact sense, what makes more sense: plows waiting until the snow stops and removing snow, or plows nearly continuously keeping roads clear? I would argue a plow operator is much closer to observing the 6 hourly snowfall amounts than the 24 hourly. 

It's one thing we've discussed internally about the 6" in 12 hours vs 9" in 24 hours warning criteria. If anything the lighter, longer duration 9" in 24 hours is more impactful because road crews are out longer.

Maybe 3 8-hourlies is a better compromise? 8hr workdays...8hrs of sleep...8hrs of Super Bowl pregame...it all makes sense. 

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 3+ qpf report is about 100x more egregious than a snowfall report that was about 6 inches higher. That 3+ qpf is so blatantly not credible.

I added a pretty extensive passage regarding this.

PS: The Reading coop made up with the 1.7" that I had estimated.

http://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2018/03/meteorological-deflategate-editorial.html

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

32" at 3,000ft... about two-thirds of the way up but yeah, that's high elevation total.

25" at the office elevation.

Probably another couple inches since that too.

Glad you guys are getting the goods now too!!! That should help thin out the crowds this weekend. Nothing like a gondola ride up with Stowe locals who headed south last weekend. Stratton broke it’s all time financial record Saturday!!

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Glad you guys are getting the goods now too!!! That should help thin out the crowds this weekend. Nothing like a gondola ride up with Stowe locals who headed south last weekend. Stratton broke it’s all time financial record Saturday!!

It's insane.  Probably another 4-6" today but we'll know later with the Stake checks.

It's snowing close to 1"/hr still and seems to have no plans to stop. 

IMG_8875.GIF.d7ec258e3afe8c15c2eed9651fccb22d.GIF

36 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Barely even call it a loop. Can we call it a radar "stagnant"?

The one downside I didn't like about living in BTV... watching how close the upslope snow band was but it never moves no matter how much you hope it does.  Just a wall of white a few miles east.  

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

plow guys get paid by the inch so there's that

19 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

How many days are schools closed up there? I heard a few locations booming near 3 ft. By now the buses would have monster truck wheels. 

Some districts may have kids going to school in July.  :lol:
However, there's a lot of specialized (read: expensive) iron running around during/after a snowstorm, and roads usually are in good shape within a few hours of when accumulation ends.  Two storms 15"+ in a week won't result in snowbanks as tall as one 12-incher would where I grew up in NNJ.  There, all the snow was piled within 6 feet of the travel lanes.  Here much of it gets winged back into the woods, as the plowing strategy is to make room for the next storm.

10 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Late to the party, but just winding down  up here this morning. Final is 18.4" 

Just about 50" for the month.

rps20180315_115756.jpg

rps20180315_115606.jpg

rps20180315_115653.jpg

Beautiful yard and snowfall Jim. Mountains in the back, looks familiar like here in VT. Love seeing the snow pile up like that. Also love that archway you have - you could host a beautiful winter wedding over there. Any women on this forum? Haha. you got a good amount of snow there!