Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Latest_Snow_Anal_exp.png

I and probably eveyone was too exhausted to do a post-analysis... thought I'd toss up some tired and probably incomplete impressions.

I went back through model runs in the 48 hour leadup and compared to the obs map above.

Thought this was a clear NAM winner. Feel like it's had a good season. Very clear banding signatures that happened. Euro was good too. The old EE rule and ignoring all the other model noise would have given us the best handle of this particular storm.

Most guidance wanted to jackpot southeast MA, but between mid-level processes generating bands further northwest and initial boundary layer issues southeast, jackpot ended up in the 495 corridor and extended further north than most expected.  

RGEM was spastic and more wrong than right.

GFS was a national embarrassment, pretty much ignorable. Ok with SLP track, but qpf depictions and thermals were a joke.

Another 3-4" at home last night (call it 3.5") and 7" at 1,500ft with 10" at 3,000ft.

Totals currently around 18" at 750ft, 25" at 1,500ft and 32" at 3,000ft and still snowing hard up here.

With various upslope and synoptic storms, there's been 58" at the mountain in the past 8 days.  It looks obscene up here this morning.

Grooming reporting fresh drifts over 5 feet overnight.  They are going up to extricate a stuck snowcat too.  When those things get stuck you know its getting deep.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I agree...that 24 hours is too long to wait, particularly if it snows for 6 hours and one intends to/has to wait 18 hours for that measurement.  

However, I suggest that when the snow stops, and it is systemically clear that it's really the end of the event, then the measurement is taken.  

However, during the event, I disagree (if perhaps this is a strawman argument) that 6-hour clear should be done, because as I was just describing, storm circumstancial melting/settling/or even sublimation - though that would rarefied, should be considered part of the event. 

Strongly agree with this but folks just go on and on and on measuring all the time.....

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Updated March snowfall figures for select New England sites:

Bangor: 31.9" (6th snowiest March)
Boston: 21.8" (7th snowiest March)
Concord: 28.1" (11th snowiest March)
Portland: 31.6" (8th snowiest March)
Worcester: 40.0" (2nd snowiest March)

Hey Don, do you have #1 March amounts?

14 hours ago, rgwp96 said:

No it came from your old area fayson lakes . I believe the actual road was cliff trail 

Cliff gets up to about 870', highest point in Fayson Lakes.  If there was any elevational advantage for that storm, Cliff Trail would be the place.

The moist and dense 2.5" of snow during the day yesterday settled the overall depth to 3" less than I'd seen earlier at 7 AM.  34" is still a nice pack for mid March - I think this Saturday we strap on the snowshoes and prune apple trees.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is no upslope fluff anymore like yesterday.  This is a dense 10".  Had to be .75-1" QPF.  Surf on top of it not in it.

I saw JSpin had under 10:1 ratios so that makes sense.

32 up top? so far? Yea that east inflow is loaded with salt nuclei and warm

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is no upslope fluff anymore like yesterday.  This is a dense 10".  Had to be .75-1" QPF.  Surf on top of it not in it.

I agree with ctvalley the 2.9 might be a bit low in this area although downtown would not surprise me....4 to 5 will do it

the upslope is astonishing and the retention once above 800-1k this time of year too

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ray in your FB video you were taking depths readings on top of a garbage can near a roof, did you also use a whiteboard for depths and 6 hr readings?

I just built myself a whiteboard. It is slightly elevated off the ground by a couple long legs made from something similar but smaller than a 2x4 flipped tall side vertical.

It does seem to make a difference vs the top of my black impreza.

Next step will be to get some powered refrigeration under that baby just like an ice rink lol

21 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I agree...that 24 hours is too long to wait, particularly if it snows for 6 hours and one intends to/has to wait 18 hours for that measurement.  

However, I suggest that when the snow stops, and it is systemically clear that it's really the end of the event, then the measurement is taken.  

However, during the event, I disagree (if perhaps this is a strawman argument) that 6-hour clear should be done, because as I was just describing, storm circumstancial melting/settling/or even sublimation - though that would rarefied, should be considered part of the event. 

Isn't that the point of making it 6hrs? To allow for some compaction?

I've said it before, but I don't like penalizing 1"+/hr rates on the tail end of large, long duration storms. In LES land...if you pull 20" in 12hrs, clear, and then another 20" in 12hrs, but the depth only increases another 6"....does that mean you should have 40" or 26"? If both 12hr samples had the same rates with the same amount is it fair to report it as 20" for the first 12hrs and only 6" for the last 12hr?

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Isn't that the point of making it 6hrs? To allow for some compaction?

I've said it before, but I don't like penalizing 1"+/hr rates on the tail end of large, long duration storms. In LES land...if you pull 20" in 12hrs, clear, and then another 20" in 12hrs, but the depth only increases another 6"....does that mean you should have 40" or 26"? If both 12hr samples had the same rates with the same amount is it fair to report it as 20" for the first 12hrs and only 6" for the last 12hr?

Tip is right about one thing, measuring as close to the end of the snowfall as possible is ideal (and recommended by the way).

But if you think about this all in an impact sense, what makes more sense: plows waiting until the snow stops and removing snow, or plows nearly continuously keeping roads clear? I would argue a plow operator is much closer to observing the 6 hourly snowfall amounts than the 24 hourly. 

It's one thing we've discussed internally about the 6" in 12 hours vs 9" in 24 hours warning criteria. If anything the lighter, longer duration 9" in 24 hours is more impactful because road crews are out longer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ray in your FB video you were taking depths readings on top of a garbage can near a roof, did you also use a whiteboard for depths and 6 hr readings?

Not a whiteboard, but I had other flat surfaces to ensure that that depth was representative, which it was and always is. Very protected area...depth was a pretty uniform 24"+.