Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

31 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

8" of new upslope on top of the 7" from yesterday. Very light snow right now, but models have it ramping up again from around 03z to 12z, yielding another 0.5-0.75" of LE. Then it tapers to flurries and light snow showers tomorrow during the day before another round tomorrow night?

Snow growth has been kind of cruddy with lots of small rimed flakes and even pellets at times. Unlike a lot of these upslope events though, there's some good weight to the snow thanks to the deep moisture layer wrapping around our storm.

I'm not buying the 35" storm total report from Woodford. I drove through there today en route to do an errand in Bennington (which was almost a costly mistake as I pulled over to a parking area on the side of route 9 that hadn't been plowed in several hours to let someone pass and got stuck, but luckily I was able to weasel my way out of it). Yes, they have a lot of snow like I do, but I find it hard to believe that there would be a 20" gradient in less than 5 miles at pretty much the exact same longitude and similar elevation. They were west of the meso band that nailed areas just west of I-91 like I was and radar returns haven't been that much different there. Maybe they have a little more, but not 20" more.

Meanwhile Bennington had only about 2-3" that was melting in the March sun angle with temps near 32-33° F. I came back via Williamstown and N. Adams as 9 and 8/100 are tough. 

I have seen every report they sent in over the past 3-4 years and quietly questioning the total validity of their numbers.  I mean they are always just so outrageous in every single event, like every one. I figured being at the crest there benefits them a ton and it really is an uber weenie spot, but now with you close by you can kind of cross check.   

Although Wilmington VT reported 20" over the past 2 days before anything today which falls kind of line with Woodfords-- before the upslope today.

If you do take their reports as accurate, they have had 93" in the past week or so, which is insane.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah so your clearing times really exacerbated the measuring differences. A quick 8” in 90 mins on a clear board won’t settle much. Throw that 8” on top of 20” of already existing fluff and it’s compaction city. You should document your measurements in a blog post if you haven’t already.

Working on it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Isotherm said:

@IrishRob17 @40/70 Benchmark,

That is correct, I am not advocating for the once per day observation -- which is much different than capturing the maximum snowfall for the 24 hour period.

Ray, to be clear, I am merely presenting the guidelines as they currently stand, which states that non-airport measuring should be maximum snowfall for the 24 hour period. I am not advocating that the 6-hr clearing is necessarily a bad method. I just think congruence with historical records is important and we never should have added the option for 6hr clearing in the 1998-2012 period.

Per my discussion with Matt who works with the NJ climatologist, there was extensive debate among the people on the panel for this 6hr - maximum snowfall issues. Interestingly enough, the person who pushed most for the 6-hr method was the same person who reversed his thinking and signed off on the return to the maximum snowfall method.

Snow measuring is an inexact science; there are arguments for both methods.

The problem with max depth is that you need to be retired and/or have no life to accurately capture that consistently.

Why are airports permitted to employ the 6 hourly method and not any other entity or person?

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The problem with max depth is that you need to be retired and/or have no life to accurately capture that consistently.

Why are airports permitted to employ the 6 hourly method and not any other entity or person?

Snow measuring is a joke. You have multiple methods as accepted. 

7 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I believe about 10-15 towns could have recorded 30" yesterday if they properly cleared every 6 hours.

Anytown that recorded 23"-24" w /o clearing is in the running. I watch the radar like a hawk. That could include plenty of towns in nh and Maine as well.

My point is I believe Ray and a number of folks sw w nw and well ne (of him).could lay claim to 30". 

No qualm with this, and I agree....my point isn't that some folks are foolish for not agreeing that Wilmington has the largest cryophallic in the land, but rather that we need to have one universal method. Chances are that I didn't get the absolute most snow, but its even more likely that we'll never know because its apples to oranges and we need to fix that. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I have seen every report they sent in over the past 3-4 years and quietly questioning the total validity of their numbers.  I mean they are always just so outrageous in every single event, like every one. I figured being at the crest there benefits them a ton and it really is an uber weenie spot, but now with you close by you can kind of cross check.   

Although Wilmington VT reported 20" over the past 2 days before anything today which falls kind of line with Woodfords-- before the upslope today.

If you do take their reports as accurate, they have had 93" in the past week or so, which is insane.

I do accept the higher totals from Wilmington over to Jacksonville, Halifax, etc. as they caught that band that I and Woodford narrowly missed yesterday. I don't always buy some of the WeatherNet6 reports, especially Woodford's. Sometimes Woodford's reports are more in line with totals around here, but other times they are not and this is one of those cases where it is most certainly not.

My two week total is ~80", so there's no way Woodford has had that in the past week.

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I need clarification. I'm punching out a blog.

And on top of that, Dendrite brought up an excellent point about timing of your brush off with respect to bands. Sure it wouldn’t make a 6” difference, but your coincidental timing made it minimalize compaction. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And on top of that, Dendrite brought up an excellent point about timing of your brush off with respect to bands. Sure it wouldn’t make a 6” difference, but your coincidental timing made it minimalize compaction. 

It was a sinister decision.  He knew when that band would rotate in and rot...he timed his measurements to take advantage of this...very very unscrupulous 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Snowfall totals & verification for yesterday's blizzard. 

03_13.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.d2c7fae808112240d9ffdd96c77b6295.jpg03_14.18_snow_forecast_2.thumb.jpg.d67ac04a4cfa6028d9db91ae3a67d685.jpg

Man the storm sucked here but 2.9 is ridiculous. You need to check the time stamp on that.  4 is the absolute minimum I could see posted here and 5 is more realistic.  BDL came in at 7 and there was better banding west of the river but I would toss the 2.9

snow continued to spread E to W as the decaying storm spins over NB, in fact snow fell most of the day in eastern ontario which is absolutely not upslope/ lake effect, or any combination of any other factor other than the decaying low and its atlantic moisture fetch/upper low....about 15-30cm deposited in eastern ontario and SW quebec

in addition, massive totals coming out of NE NY and VT nearing 3 ft...snow continues here, approx 14 inches as of 7pm when i came into work

the total and amount of snow deposited by this storm and its remnants in the NE is staggering IMO...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I can’t wait to get back up there tomorrow night. The amount of snow has been nothing short of epic. And that was before this event. How did you do in this one?

23 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I can’t wait to get back up there tomorrow night. The amount of snow has been nothing short of epic. And that was before this event. How did you do in this one?

14.5" still coming down and should for a good portion of the night. Yep, just amazing conditions right now.

• Like 1