• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

Living in the Heights in Arlington the amounts I reported where always suspect especially in Spring. Admittedly never used a board or the 6hr. spotter (correct) training technique. A 1/2 dozen random measurements away from drifts. Wanting to contribute giving a more accurate spread to the NWS. Washington St where the house was, was atop a 300ft hill, visually noticeable from top to bottom surrounds.
The only person to question the accuracy was myself.   

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Just amazing stuff happening.

If these models are right about another .5-1.0" QPF through tomorrow afternoon it is going to get ridiculous.  It's already pushing the boundaries of what is deep and skiable in terms of seeing where you are going.

29178434_10155195215227382_4937331826084

29178320_10103358583623360_5476118817484

Avalanche in near Smuggs, 6 VT national guard injuried

Did anyone notice that the Logan reports and Winthrop reports are lock-step the same, even reporting times? Is it always like that? I know they're right next to each other but it seems strange that there wouldn't be at least a tenth of inch of difference. Is it the same person reporting for both locations but only actually possibly reporting from one and sending in two different reports?

2 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Did anyone notice that the Logan reports and Winthrop reports are lock-step the same, even reporting times? Is it always like that? I know they're right next to each other but it seems strange that there wouldn't be at least a tenth of inch of difference. Is it the same person reporting for both locations but only actually possibly reporting from one and sending in two different reports?

The observer lives in Winthrop that's where the stats are from, strange folk up there in Boston 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

3.20” from one core would be a real pita to melt down. Maybe the guy did multiple cores, but the measuring area kept filling back in. When he had 48”/3.20” he realizdd something was off, kept the w.e., and stuck the yardstick into the ground. 

Not sure how one could get 3.2" in one tube-load, unless it was something like the 4:1 slopfest we had in Feb 2010.  Of course, when taking the SWE core from the pack, multiple tube-dips are needed.  I use a flat shovel to separate one tube-full from the next, and have a sizable bucket to collect it all. 

From the Caribou NWS:

Penobscot County...
   1 SW Holden           30.0   859 AM  3/14  Copeland Hill
   Hudson                24.0   230 PM  3/14  Social Media
   Eddington             24.0  1130 AM  3/14  Social Media
   Burlington            23.0   853 AM  3/14  Social Media
   Brewer                23.0  1025 AM  3/14  Social Media
   Clifton               23.0  1000 AM  3/14  Social Media
   1 SW Orono            22.5   201 PM  3/14  Trained Spotter
   Veazie                22.0  1000 AM  3/14  Social Media
   Bangor                20.9   157 PM  3/14  ASOS/AWOS
   1 ENE Glenburn        20.4   141 PM  3/14  Trained Spotter
   1 NW Orono            20.0  1030 AM  3/14  Trained Spotter
   1 SW Hermon           20.0  1151 AM  3/14  still snowing
   Hampden               20.0  1200 PM  3/14  Social Media
   1 SW Old Town         18.0  1000 AM  3/14  Trained Spotter
   Millinocket           17.6   321 PM  3/14  Trained Spotter
   6 N Millinocket       16.0  1030 AM  3/14  Trained Spotter
   Corinna               15.8  1000 AM  3/14  Co-Op Observer
   7 SSE Springfield     15.0  1039 AM  3/14  Trained Spotter

I guess the Fisher-Coram tag team would automatically throw out the 30" observation from Penobscot County. However, considering the reality that both precipitation amounts and snowfall amounts can vary significantly over short distances, more rigorous quality control would be needed before a determination is made.

I noticed Ray was in the low 20s yesterday evening before the band moved back through. Then he seemed to pick up a quick 6-8” in like 90 minutes with a 5”/hr in there. Most in NH were pulling 2-4”/hr in that band so my guess was that he had recently cleared before it came through so it had minimal ability to compact which gave him the quick jump to near 30”. When were your clearing times Ray?

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

The observer lives in Winthrop that's where the stats are from, strange folk up there in Boston 

Wow that seems very strange as there could be quite the difference in snow totals from Winthrop right on the coast to downtown Boston like yesterday. I thought I got more than 14.5in. I'm sure this has been discussed at nausium in here before regarding Winthrop basically being used for bostons official records 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I noticed Ray was in the low 20s yesterday evening before the band moved back through. Then he seemed to pick up a quick 6-8” in like 90 minutes with a 5”/hr in there. Most in NH were pulling 2-4”/hr in that band so my guess was that he had recently cleared before it came through so it had minimal ability to compact which gave him the quick jump to near 30”. When were your clearing times Ray?

It's funny you say that  down here I was watching that band fully ripping in Garths hood.  I was getting 2 per thinking that's a 5 per out there.

Outside it is SLAMMING!!!!!!! And it will continue all throughout tomorrow and then another SLAM next week!!!!!!! Bands up and down, pound for pound. Catch me on the street, doing a snow sweep! The snow is falling and all your friends are calling, on americanwx we put the snow to the test!!!! Grateful for the weather forum as we're caught in this snowy weather streak hope you all enjoyed my little rap xo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I don't believe he is as per the response above.  The one measurement refers to the max accumulation that day, not the one measurement at a set time each day that COOP follows.

I'm sorry, Tom is a smart kid, but in a large event like that, peak depth is not an accurate assessment of snowfall....want to know what Is? The amount of snow that FELL from the sky...no $hit.

If they want peak storm depth, then ask for that.

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

11am and 5pm.

14 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Wow that seems very strange as there could be quite the difference in snow totals from Winthrop right on the coast to downtown Boston like yesterday. I thought I got more than 14.5in. I'm sure this has been discussed at nausium in here before regarding Winthrop basically being used for bostons official records 

Well the observation is the airport, not downtown anyway. So Winthrop is far more representative of that than downtown.

Of course many argue about Tarmac observations and not where people live, but that's the way it's done. ASOS is BOS officially, and Winthrop is an acceptable distance from the ASOS and has an observer. Outside of Winthrop their closest active site is Franklin Park Zoo, and that's way too far away for climate purposes.

3 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I actually got close to 6" in that 90 or so under 35dBZ returns , but I found it so hard to believe (4"/hr!?!??!) that I rounded down to 4.5". Of course when I post totals, I usually caveat "unofficial". 

That Was for real. Saw the same thing between 515 and 7pm. Close to 7" in N.Andover . Was amazing

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Avalanche in near Smuggs, 6 VT national guard injuried

Yeah there have been several high profile slides.  One two days ago ran 1,300 vertical feet on Mansfield's flank and left 6 feet of snow piled up down by RT 108.  Witnesses walking their dogs in the Notch said it sounded like a jet engine and the powder cloud was a few hundred feet high.  Like something you see out west.

Avalanche Statement from BTV:

29216417_10103358764141600_3395948778870