Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The thing is you have weenies like us clearing huge amounts of fluff every 6hrs and then the general public sticking the yardstick into the driveway at random times. When the PNS is showing a handful of reports a bit over 20” for the high range in a populated county and then a report comes in of over 30” it definitely stands out. That Wilmington 22.5” cocorahs report is just as fishy with about 3.00” of liquid reported. They reported 21.4”/2.75” for 7a-7a....I don’t think so. The other Wilmington cocorahs only reported 17.8”/1.22” for 7a-7a so the obs are all over the place. 

But you’re going to have trouble with people actually believing it since even the highest cocorahs reports are 20-25”. It’s simply just differing methods and that’s the nature of the beast. You’ll just have to deal with the skepticism. :lol:

I wish they would go back to just sticking a ruler in the ground...I would have said 24.7" and be done with it.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The thing is you have weenies like us clearing huge amounts of fluff every 6hrs and then the general public sticking the yardstick into the driveway at random times. When the PNS is showing a handful of reports a bit over 20” for the high range in a populated county and then a report comes in of over 30” it definitely stands out. That Wilmington 22.5” cocorahs report is just as fishy with about 3.00” of liquid reported. They reported 21.4”/2.75” for 7a-7a....I don’t think so. The other Wilmington cocorahs only reported 17.8”/1.22” for 7a-7a so the obs are all over the place. 

But you’re going to have trouble with people actually believing it since even the highest cocorahs reports are 20-25”. It’s simply just differing methods and that’s the nature of the beast. You’ll just have to deal with the skepticism. :lol:

Anything under 15 to 1 up in that area that was also measured last night isn't credible IMHO. That band was blower powder. You need to be either outside the band with crappier snow growth or right on the beach where the snow stayed pretty wet to have ratios under 15 to 1. I can buy it maybe if you didn't measure until morning. Given the nature of the snow in that band...if you were swiping every 6 hours, your total is def going to contrast more with the "yardstick in the ground at the end" method more than normal. In a typical dry cement windblown blizzard, the difference might only be 3 inches. It could very well be double that in a storm like yesterday if you were being very diligent.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

22.5"....accumulated another inch, and LOST another 1.5" depth. 

The old school weenies that like to measure at the end of the event can come in here and tell us those couple of inches overnight never happened.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Probably going to shatter that record.

You would think so....but the 2nd half of March can shut down quickly sometimes even when things look pretty good for more threats like they do now. Climo would get them there, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, tunafish said:

"General Public" :lol:

In fairness, in my hierarchy of reports I put general public before social media. 

In extreme cases when someone doesn't go to spotter training (@dendrite), we'll just give them a spotter number and enter it on our own when we see the report on a message board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Anything under 15 to 1 up in that area that was also measured last night isn't credible IMHO. That band was blower powder. You need to be either outside the band with crappier snow growth or right on the beach where the snow stayed pretty wet to have ratios under 15 to 1. I can buy it maybe if you didn't measure until morning. Given the nature of the snow in that band...if you were swiping every 6 hours, your total is def going to contrast more with the "yardstick in the ground at the end" method more than normal. In a typical dry cement windblown blizzard, the difference might only be 3 inches. It could very well be double that in a storm like yesterday if you were being very diligent.

Exactly.

Thanks. 

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wish they would go back to just sticking a ruler in the ground...I would have said 24.7" and be done with it.

That’s what I do . It’s to confusing the other way and reports all over the place . To the public that’s all that counts anyway . The big storm for me last week dropped  24 plus in my area (northern nj morris county )My depth was 23 and that’s what I reported 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

In fairness, in my hierarchy of reports I put general public before social media. 

In extreme cases when someone doesn't go to spotter training (@dendrite), we'll just give them a spotter number and enter it on our own when we see the report on a message board. 

My chuckle was more around Ray getting the label of General Public.  Feels like he's deserving of more just based on his dedication, but there's no other appropriate bucket for him.

Side note:  do you know why the reporting from the PWM ASOS site is inconsistent in terms of when you all report it?

3 minutes ago, tunafish said:

My chuckle was more around Ray getting the label of General Public.  Feels like he's deserving of more just based on his dedication, but there's no other appropriate bucket for him.

Side note:  do you know why the reporting from the PWM ASOS site is inconsistent in terms of when you all report it?

I don't know why it drops out of the PNS sometimes.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tunafish said:

That's on me...I need to do the training....that,  graphics and seasonal temp anomalies are on my summer to do list.

Oh, yea...and marriage. 

:lol:

• Haha 3

Select Monthly Snowfall Totals for New England:

Boston: 21.8” (7th snowiest March)
Concord: 28.1” (11th snowiest March)
Portland: 28.8” (11th snowiest March)
Worcester: 40.0” (2nd snowiest March)

March Monthly Snowfall Records for those Cities:

Boston: 38.9”, 1993
Concord: 38.3”, 1956
Portland: 49.0”, 1993
Worcester: 44.1”, 1993

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'll add to the list for ORH....

21.8" yesterday was a daily record, but it also put the monthly total at 40.0".....this is the 2nd snowiest March on record for ORH only behind March 1993 which saw 44.1".

That's hugely impressive. Worcester has a real shot at setting a new record.

4 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

That’s what I do . It’s to confusing the other way and reports all over the place . To the public that’s all that counts anyway . The big storm for me last week dropped  24 plus in my area . My depth was 23 and that’s what I reported 

If you want to compare real impact...just measure the snow water equivalent and go with that. 10” of 8:1 has more impact than 15” of 30:1. That gets rid of most of the method issues. 

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

I have Advanced Skywarn training from NWG GSP office, but that was a warm-season training. Definitely need to do cold-season training to get my spotter ID.

Mekster and I both got hammered with NoPoles in Canada so I think that’s how I got mine.

• Haha 1

Snow pack is extra impressive looking because we still had all that low ratio cement from the previous storm last week before yesterday happened....so while 2 feet of snow looks impressive no matter what, the piles and everything are starting to give me flashbacks to 2015.

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

LOL.  I did mine way back in 2005 with Max(CapeCod04)  Think we did it at the Natick Town Hall.  May have been Eleanor and Joe that did the presentation.

I think i did mine before that even, It was at the Auburn Public Library..........lol

25 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Select Monthly Snowfall Totals for New England:

Boston: 21.8” (7th snowiest March)
Concord: 28.1” (11th snowiest March)
Portland: 28.8” (11th snowiest March)
Worcester: 40.0” (2nd snowiest March)

March Monthly Snowfall Records for those Cities:

Boston: 38.9”, 1993
Concord: 38.3”, 1956
Portland: 49.0”, 1993
Worcester: 44.1”, 1993

PWM actually has 2.5" officially since midnight, so that's 9th snowiest. 

• Like 1