Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

32 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Harv guessed on twitter that I was counting preexisting snow...man, this is real...sucks.

Congrats on the forecast and the great storm. Were you measuring hourly? You were updating your total every hour on the forums. Isn't it supposed to be 6 hour increments? I got scolded back in Nov 2014 for doing measurements every 4-5 hours. ^_^

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Congrats on the forecast and the great storm. Were you measuring hourly? You were updating your total every hour on the forums. Isn't it supposed to be 6 hour increments? I got scolded back in Nov 2014 for doing measurements every 4-5 hours. ^_^

You can update measurements however frequently you'd like, but you can't wipe the board clean more than once every 6 hours. When you wipe the board, you must take note of the depth on the board before you clean it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yes, but in a swiped area...so it doesn't matter. I wasn't clearing every hour.

No.

• Like 1

Damn ray! Congrats on the 30", sucks to hear that you're being doubted.

Storm apparently sucked out here. Just got home and cleaned yup the meager snow on mtg driveway. Spent the day at foxwoods. The place was a ghost town. They got smoked, roads sucked.

If there's a silver lining for me here out west, my daughter goes for her road test on Thursday morning to get her drivers license. The last thing she needs is snowpacked roads and enormous snowbanks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I think it all boils down to the way people measure.  If I went out there right now and stuck a yardstick in the ground, I'd probably get the 23-24 that is the "official" measurement for Andover.  But, if you're measuring every 6 hours, and clearing, and avoiding the compaction (ie. actually measuring snowfall), the numbers can change significantly.  I have a feeling 90% or more of the official measurements involve someone going outside after the storm ends and sticking a ruler in the ground.  

The bottom line is myself, and a number of other local posters, were in this thread all day, and sitting under the same bands Ray was, and his measurements were perfectly in line with what we were seeing. 

1 minute ago, Dotb said:

I think it all boils down to the way people measure.  If I went out there right now and stuck a yardstick in the ground, I'd probably get the 23-24 that is the "official" measurement for Andover.  But, if you're measuring every 6 hours, and clearing, and avoiding the compaction (ie. actually measuring snowfall), the numbers can change significantly.  I have a feeling 90% or more of the official measurements involve someone going outside after the storm ends and sticking a ruler in the ground.  

The bottom line is myself, and a number of other local posters, were in this thread all day, and sitting under the same bands Ray was, and his measurements were perfectly in line with what we were seeing. 

Yes.

Going by that method, I had 24.7".

I know Sam mentioned the squalls tomorrow afternoon, but don't sleep on a bit of snow too in the evening/night as well tomorrow night with the deepening of the ULL just as it passes our longitude, almost wants to throw an IVT back, so there could be some currier and ives stuff that blossoms. Doubt it will be a big deal, but if someone gets an inch or so it wouldn't be shocking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dotb said:

That is the truth! Who cares we got crushed. I have limbs hanging on my power line so that is my focus.

The type of snow in that death band was blower...like LES almost. 20 to 1 or 25 to 1 stuff. So the swipers and the "yardstick in the ground at the end" measurements are going to have more disparity than usual. If the snow had much crappier ratios, then the differences would be pretty minor.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I know Sam mentioned the squalls tomorrow afternoon, but don't sleep on a bit of snow too in the evening/night as well tomorrow night with the deepening of the ULL just as it passes our longitude, almost wants to throw an IVT back, so there could be some currier and ives stuff that blossoms. Doubt it will be a big deal, but if someone gets an inch or so it wouldn't be shocking.

Modeled widespread.

Tomorrow will be quite snowy. Favors the north.

Going with 18.1” total here... bob was about 17” and Matt (butterfish) also in that area. Feel good about it as we are all usually close.

this has been an odd winter for sure. Heart of winter was a furnace basically, but we’ve had some good events on the front and back end.

looks like I’ve recorded 16 measurable events in the snow table.. most obviously small, but I’d be curious if there is an average number of measurable snows we get around here per season 

Just now, geo1 said:

That is the truth! Who cares we got crushed. I have limbs hanging on my power line so that is my focus.

Best part of this storm for me wasn't the snowfall, it was that we didn't lose power.  Lost power last week for almost 3 days, got it back on Friday, and then lost it again for a few hours on Saturday.  I lived in Wilmington for 6 years before moving to Andover 5 years ago, and you guys should count your blessings for Reading Municipal Electric.  I think we lost power in Wilmington a half dozen times, and never for more than 4-5 hours that I can remember.  Since I've been in Andover, we lose power at least that many times per year, and multiple days without power isn't uncommon.  National Grid is the McDonald's to Reading Muni's Capital Grille.   Finally got a generator after a stiff breeze knocked out power for 3 days in October, and it still sucks trudging out there to dump gas in it all day and night, and then going to the gas station to fill up the cans, etc.  So happy we kept the lights on this time around, probably because there aren't many trees left to fall that didn't already. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This could be a rare upslope event into Litchfield Co CT. It's tough to get it without a good synoptic assist. 

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This beat '78...it was like 27" where we are.

No Ray, we've talked about this.  I went to the pumping stations in north Wilmington.  The man showed me the book.  32" for storm, 37" on Ground.  No 6 hour measurements back then. Hell, both Burlington, Ma and North Andover came in with 30".  Again no 6 hour measurements back then.

north 

1 minute ago, Dotb said:

Best part of this storm for me wasn't the snowfall, it was that we didn't lose power.  Lost power last week for almost 3 days, got it back on Friday, and then lost it again for a few hours on Saturday.  I lived in Wilmington for 6 years before moving to Andover 5 years ago, and you guys should count your blessings for Reading Municipal Electric.  I think we lost power in Wilmington a half dozen times, and never for more than 4-5 hours that I can remember.  Since I've been in Andover, we lose power at least that many times per year, and multiple days without power isn't uncommon.  National Grid is the McDonald's to Reading Muni's Capital Grille.   Finally got a generator after a stiff breeze knocked out power for 3 days in October, and it still sucks trudging out there to dump gas in it all day and night, and then going to the gas station to fill up the cans, etc.  So happy we kept the lights on this time around, probably because there aren't many trees left to fall that didn't already. 

Towns that have their own local power company seem to fair way better than the larger companies in avoiding outages or getting power back much faster when they do occur.

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

This could be a rare upslope event into Litchfield Co CT. It's tough to get it without a good synoptic assist. 

Yeah every once in awhile Norfolk will get like a 6 inch blitz on upslope and you're like "WTF did that come from?" while its partly sunny 10-15 miles east.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Towns that have their own local power company seem to fair way better than the larger companies in avoiding outages or getting power back much faster when they do occur.

We have the Taunton Municipal Lighting Plant here. 

Huge perk of living in Taunton.

Ive lived here my whole life (24 years) and have lost power maybe a dozen times? And never lost it for more than a few hours.

during this 3 storm blitz I’ve lost it once for 25 minutes.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We have the Taunton Municipal Lighting Plant here. 

Huge perk of living in Taunton.

Ive lived here my whole life (24 years) and have lost power maybe a dozen times? And never lost it for more than a few hours.

during this 3 storm blitz I’ve lost it once for 25 minutes.

I swear this is one of those things most people don't even realize they have until it's gone.  Losing power is so common around the state with Eversource and National Grid that people almost get used to it and expect it to happen.  It's hard to imagine living somewhere where it doesn't happen until you actually live there.  Until I moved to Wilmington, I had no idea what a perk it was, and I still didn't realize it fully until after I left.  

7 minutes ago, Dotb said:

I swear this is one of those things most people don't even realize they have until it's gone.  Losing power is so common around the state with Eversource and National Grid that people almost get used to it and expect it to happen.  It's hard to imagine living somewhere where it doesn't happen until you actually live there.  Until I moved to Wilmington, I had no idea what a perk it was, and I still didn't realize it fully until after I left.  

RMLD is going to have their hands full in the AM still have power but I have huge limbs dangling on the power lines

23 minutes ago, Greg said:

No Ray, we've talked about this.  I went to the pumping stations in north Wilmington.  The man showed me the book.  32" for storm, 37" on Ground.  No 6 hour measurements back then. Hell, both Burlington, Ma and North Andover came in with 30".  Again no 6 hour measurements back then.

north 

Reading coop had 27"....Oh well.