Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it was all about the midlevels. Same theme (different setup though) in march 2013 with the surface low way east but the midlevels were throwing forcing wayyy west into SNE. 

I brought that same Morch firehose storm up on Saturday morning. They told me no similarities and different set up 

1 minute ago, #NoPoles said:

Somewhere around 2010 we had an

-NAO on steroids. That was the year DC got like 3 or 4 huge storms and we sucked on cirrus

Yeah that was the winter....2009-2010. It still gives a lot of people PTSD about a -NAO despite what happened the next winter with a strong -NAO....then 2013 and now this March. 

Ill say to wiz, confluence isn't a bad thing. It's only bad when it's so strong we get whiffed. But confluence helps with frontogenesis so you can wring out extra precip too...and on would-be rainers, it can force them underneath us for snow instead. 

4 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Somewhere around 2010 we had an

-NAO on steroids. That was the year DC got like 3 or 4 huge storms and we sucked on cirrus

Sorry if I'm intervening, but that was late Jan 2010-Early Feb 2010. Many areas got 40-60" of snow in a 2 week span during that time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Glad you scored man. You guys have been screwed many times while others got hammered. It all equaks out 

I honestly don't look at as getting screwed. I just think of how many things have to go right for *anyone* to get snow, and when I get some it makes me very happy.

I grew up in Phoenix AZ so for me all snow is special. I'll take a 6-10er any day over the one-long-sunny-day I grew up in.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I brought that same Morch firehose storm up on Saturday morning. They told me no similarities and different set up 

It was different. That was a firehose, a plume of Deep moisture off the atlantic. This snow was the result of synoptic forcing and banding more seen in coastal lows.

It must be nice to have all this snow up there in New England. I know the feeling, i dealt with all this snow back in 2010 while you guys were sucking on cirrus, but this winter i have been sucking on cirrus most of the time and an inch per hour rates for 1 hour and then nothing lately. 

I am content somewhat with the 12'' of seasonal total, because i at least got some snow. You guys are nailing it this winter, man.

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

that may have been the same exact winter I am thinking of. 

Actually i think you're right

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that was the winter....2009-2010. It still gives a lot of people PTSD about a -NAO despite what happened the next winter with a strong -NAO....then 2013 and now this March. 

Ill say to wiz, confluence isn't a bad thing. It's only bad when it's so strong we get whiffed. But confluence helps with frontogenesis so you can wring out extra precip too...and on would-be rainers, it can force them underneath us for snow instead. 

Blue Hills had a weather conference that winter. My friend and I went, and that's where I met scituatewx. Paul Kocin was there. We all went up to the observatory and my friend and I hung out with Kocin and watched the radar, and basically cried together. If there had been a bar in the observatory we would have been drunk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, I remember attending the Blue Hill Observatory 125th anniversary with my son in late January, 2010 on a brutal cold day here.   Paul Kocin and Dr. Louis Uccellini were following the big storm hitting the mid Atlantic while they were giving their lecture. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

8.0" officially

54 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Cory missed a 20 spot in Cumberland

What happened to the 30"-40" I called you out for?  8" ha...?  Lol.  What little enjoyment I can get.  

The  only solace I get is the poetic justice for Ray having the greatest protection of Any winter we've Ever seen and getting now a potential number one snowstorm and also more importantly.... JACKPOTTING a system.  A Major Historic for March System.  

33 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

there are still too many imperfections with today's forecasting, models were terrible back here right through midnight runs...business closed and schools closed, people had to scramble to make plans for kids, etc.....seems very wasteful to me

GFS was actually pretty decent here. Terrible elsewhere.  I think the banding setup  just killed us and  this was not just a function of elevation. If the storm track was a bit closer to the coast we would have gotten into the CCB but being between the western deform bands and the CCB combined with the valley and time of day was just a killer. We probably would have done better with the prior tracks that were a bit further offshore as well.  Anyways Congratulations to Ray and all the big winners tonight. A historic night for some and one helluva storm.   Can't say we haven't had our share of tracking to do here in this action packed March.   

9 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

23.5". Total depth is 27-32" in the shaded part of the yard but its already settling some. Hopefully pull off enough overnight to call it a 2'er when I get up for work. 

Raymond-Northwood area is probably our local jack. I'm seeing 27" reports and they still got a band over them.