• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

Question...this isn't storm related but I can't remember this for the life of me.

I remember several...several winters back...this may even go back to Eastern US Wx days but there was one winter where there was alot of talk about confluence to the north...I think that was the term...but if I am thinking of this correctly having confluence just to our north is NOT good for us...it keeps storm track suppressed to our south? 

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I think you're misunderstanding my questioning.  The forecast was not good for the valley and hasn't been for the past several storms.  I also don't think anyone is cheating if they are measuring the same way they have for 30+ years.  I think that's the only way that you can compare one storm to another and one measurement to another.  That's what I'm questioning so I can compare one measurement with another.

The "on the ground" debate is another story for another thread.

there are still too many imperfections with today's forecasting, models were terrible back here right through midnight runs...business closed and schools closed, people had to scramble to make plans for kids, etc.....seems very wasteful to me

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Meanwhile Cape got fooked up again. Most of the Cape no power with entire towns out. Extends up to S shore too. The amount of tree damage that area has had since Feb 2013 is unreal.

just like the Connecticut shoreline with Irene and sandy.

Dang it I have no place to measure. The back deck and yard are scoured bare, and the front yard is one giant wave drift. The driveway has been contaminated by the plow equipment. They plowed, and then came around with a huge snowblower on a skid steer and widened the street by snowblowing the plow piles up onto everyone's driveway. I can tell you that the snow is so dense, when I walk on it I don't sink more than two inches. WOMAN SNOW!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Semper911 said:

Well he was right about the center of the system being so far east, but he never caught on that it didn't matter.

Yeah it was all about the midlevels. Same theme (different setup though) in march 2013 with the surface low way east but the midlevels were throwing forcing wayyy west into SNE. 

• Like 1

I follow the Sandwich Fire Dept. on FB. They were posting all the calls they went out on today. They just kept posting about trees down on houses, trees down on wires, poles on fire, snapped poles, live wires down and arcing. Then they started a list list of roads that were impassable due to downed debris. It's a war zone.

6 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

there are still too many imperfections with today's forecasting, models were terrible back here right through midnight runs...business closed and schools closed, people had to scramble to make plans for kids, etc.....seems very wasteful to me

I mean QPF is pretty bunk from models in general, but can be either too broad (this storm) or too terrain influenced. 

Interesting to see even at 18z, the NAM had a low level inversion around 3-3.5 kft that could have focused some orographic differences, but the GFS had none (or nothing as strong as the NAM).

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it was all about the midlevels. Same theme (different setup though) in march 2013 with the surface low way east but the midlevels were throwing forcing wayyy west into SNE. 

He has some great graphics on his Twitter. I follow him and check in there often because he really is a true wx weenie. Always worth a look, especially for the long range.

5 minutes ago, Semper911 said:

Well he was right about the center of the system being so far east, but he never caught on that it didn't matter.

It was a 2 center storm not 1.  The one that he talked about was nearly 400 miles out but the closer one was just outside the benchmark.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yea. There was also another Nor Easter last year where the SLP ran over SE Mass but dumped widespread 30”+ in Upstate NY, near Binghamton area. That was due to a similar situarion as this with the mid level tracks being displaced well to the west. 

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Question...this isn't storm related but I can't remember this for the life of me.

I remember several...several winters back...this may even go back to Eastern US Wx days but there was one winter where there was alot of talk about confluence to the north...I think that was the term...but if I am thinking of this correctly having confluence just to our north is NOT good for us...it keeps storm track suppressed to our south? 

Somewhere around 2010 we had an

-NAO on steroids. That was the year DC got like 3 or 4 huge storms and we sucked on cirrus

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My sister in Burrillville, RI reported 2 feet...might be more.

Around 12.5” here but really compacted as the day went on...cement underneath. One of the suckyiest storms to clear...

They were demolished out there

If there was someone cleaning a board there every 6 hrs...30".

Look at a 12 hr radar loop 

Its really cool

3 hours ago, wokeupthisam said:

Same thing happened on my Ariens beginning of this season - easiest way to fix it is drill a hole to make winding the spring simple - found this video that shows how it's done plus a few good other tips, made the whole repair 15 a minute job (not counting the 11 mins to watch the vid)  Worked like a charm, Good luck!

Thanks ! I found another that works like a charm!

• Like 1