Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

2 minutes ago, Semper911 said:

All my measurements averaged out to an even 20", and I came in to look at the NWS snow totals page. 20" for Woonsocket.

So 20" it is. Still snowing somewhat, but bfd. I can't remember ever getting 20" in such a short duration. The bulk of it came between sunup and sundown. 

put some in the freezer for cory

8 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I really don't care how either of you spin it...the forecast was horrible and the snow worse...its mid march in the valley and it flurries/scattered snow showers all day on warm ground etc etc

I cleared once...have 4 total and 3.2 otg and it feels cheap reporting 4

it is still half or less of what was forecast for the entire valley

I lived in Amherst and Northampton for a number of years. Truly the "happy valley", but we always seemed to get into the screw zone between the big hits east of us and/or west of us. A natural sinkhole for snowfall. Born here in Worcester and spent most of my years here. Rarely got screwed here unless it was a scraper/south of the pike deal or a rainer (like the first in this train of three). We almost always do well, even when we aren't the jackpot. A notable exception was the "Boxing Day" storm. The airport officially measured about a foot; here on the east side it was more like six inches of dust. I remember watching the bands to the left, bands to the right while we sat in the snow hole all night. 

I feel for the valley snow lovers; not as bad as CC for annual totals, but a lot of nickle and diming to get there.

Just shoveled the front walkway and measured 18 inches.  That area is not subject to drifting like the driveway, so an accurate figure.  Could have lost an inch due to compaction since it wasn't measured during the storm.  Also, there is a band about to come through with another one now flaring up further west, so could add another 1 or 2 inches to that.

23 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I  made two measurements today on a cleared picnic table to come up with my 6" but only have 4.5" otg.  Anybody measuring on pavement or waiting all day is probably under reporting what they got in the valley. 

yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw the 2.5" amounts.  They just seem low.

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How much so far? Aborn has 13” in Staffordville . You the same?

I measured 10.2" a couple of hours ago.  That 13" seems high but technically he is a little further east than I am and that band was so close it's possible.

Looks like a couple more inches since then and it's snowing nicely.  I wonder how much we'll pick up overnight....

5 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

It doesn't show well on radar due to beam blockage, but it's just puking snow outside. I can see us making it to 20".

Low-level almost under the beam snows out here now. The stuff accumulates decently despite 3/4SM vis.

5 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I lived in Amherst and Northampton for a number of years. Truly the "happy valley", but we always seemed to get into the screw zone between the big hits east of us and/or west of us. A natural sinkhole for snowfall. Born here in Worcester and spent most of my years here. Rarely got screwed here unless it was a scraper/south of the pike deal or a rainer (like the first in this train of three). We almost always do well, even when we aren't the jackpot. A notable exception was the "Boxing Day" storm. The airport officially measured about a foot; here on the east side it was more like six inches of dust. I remember watching the bands to the left, bands to the right while we sat in the snow hole all night. 

I feel for the valley snow lovers; not as bad as CC for annual totals, but a lot of nickle and diming to get there.

but the cape will periodically see epic events, the cape will see single storm rates and depths those in the valley only dream of.....i feel a smidge bad for the capers today though missing big snows and loosing power....must suck

14 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

exactly, we do

it was a horrible bust valley wide and if it makes some weenie feel better to say we had 6 inches when there is 3 otg to cheat his/her way to the very low end of a forecast well then he/she can have at it

yeah.  At any rate there is no reason to pollute a historic snowstorm thread with further negativity here.  My sis and young neices live near Ray and I am totally stoked for them.  Snowforts are the best as a kid... literally the BEST.  Amazing pics coming out.  We'll enjoy the random 2-4" jackpots and maybe we'll get another Feb 2001 someday or relocate.