Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

1 minute ago, Greg said:

I believe that! The Depth was large of course, but the pure storm total was less.  Durham, NH is practically your neighbor.  You can check what fell yourself.  They will give you snowfall and depth on ground.

I had about 25” in Auburn from that. I always thought the 40” was a bit high. I think Dover and Durham were around 35” IIRC from the PNS. 

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I'm wondering how some of those really low totals in the valley were measured.  I know they got less snow but I had a wide variety of measurements whether I measured on pavement, cement, grass, car, picnic table, truck bed or on my snowboard.  My "official" spot is my snow board and that's what goes in the record but I also got much lower readings on any of the ground measurements so I'm wondering if some of those measurements reflect measurements on the ground as opposed to a board?

Nice light snow now...hopefully add some more overnight. 

Many people don't use a snowboard.  They continue like me to do it the old fashioned wasy.  They take several readings by sticking a sharp metal ruler into the ground or place without obstruction and report the averge.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It kind of is, it would be the snowiest week for the Durham Coop.

Records back to the 1890s.

That's insane. Guess I can say this is truly a legendary stuff.

I don't think we'll make it to 40", but we'll get pretty close (currently 35" combined).

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

I'm wondering how some of those really low totals in the valley were measured.  I know they got less snow but I had a wide variety of measurements whether I measured on pavement, cement, grass, car, picnic table, truck bed or on my snowboard.  My "official" spot is my snow board and that's what goes in the record but I also got much lower readings on any of the ground measurements so I'm wondering if some of those measurements reflect measurements on the ground as opposed to a board?

Yeah, arguing with multiple people on Facebook about how much snow fell as opposed to what was on whatever surface they measure on... they just couldn't comprehend how the snowboard measurement I use for the NWS report and mine, but they still argue about it...btw, nearly an inch new since 1700hrs, pure pixy dust now though...

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I  made two measurements today on a cleared picnic table to come up with my 6" but only have 4.5" otg.  Anybody measuring on pavement or waiting all day is probably under reporting what they got in the valley. 

22 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Got the nice big fat flakes, but the classic intensity is lacking...still, I was stuck with baking powder sand all day so it's nice to see these beautiful flakes

Diane, you said your porch had 2 inches. Is that your total?

Just returned from a weenie walk around Coolidge Corner... AWT that band did not disappoint! Beautiful out there!

Judging from rate of accumulation of freshly plowed pavement, that band reached rates 2" / hr. Amazingly fluffy snow, and notable lack of strong winds.

I think we and Boston metro area end up 15-18" when all is said and done.

IMG_7736_smaller.thumb.JPG.13bbfdf7ea89a81bdac56b90d34fae51.JPGIMG_7788_smaller.thumb.JPG.5263b1399b272a3ee8050741c58bfe16.JPGIMG_7812_smaller.JPG.019c57659813cff79b3e6ae8feb8d0d4.JPG

That I-91 banding was wasted on the Valley,  it probably would have much better served the hill towns to the east or west. 

The Euro QPF was probably pretty close to reality out here, .6-.7" is what it showed consistently.  We wasted a lot to poor growth and thermal profiles that were likely a degree or two higher than modeled. 

12 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

How much so far? Aborn has 13” in Staffordville . You the same?

5 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Just returned from a weenie walk around Coolidge Corner... AWT that band did not disappoint! Beautiful out there!

Judging from rate of accumulation of freshly plowed pavement, that band reached rates 2" / hr. Amazingly fluffy snow, and notable lack of strong winds.

I think we and Boston metro area end up 15-18" when all is said and done.

IMG_7736_smaller.thumb.JPG.13bbfdf7ea89a81bdac56b90d34fae51.JPGIMG_7788_smaller.thumb.JPG.5263b1399b272a3ee8050741c58bfe16.JPGIMG_7812_smaller.JPG.019c57659813cff79b3e6ae8feb8d0d4.JPG

Great shots!  Makes me miss the old hood.

38 minutes ago, Dotb said:

I'm 41 years old, have lived in Massachusetts my whole life, and I don't remember ever getting as much snow in a 2-3 hour period as we just got, and it's still coming down hard.  If we didn't get a foot in three hours, I don't know what a foot of snow is.  Poor dog can't even see over the edges of the path I had to trudge for him to walk through, and his eyes are about 30 inches off the ground when he stands on his hind legs. 

That's awesome, My Tigger a Shepard mix was following me around as I was knocking snow off of bent over trees, he was struggling 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Logan at 12.1 as of 7pm.   They’ll end up with 13-14.   Mid 50s for the season so far.

Per usual, an anomaly compared to every surrounding site. I'd expect most sites in the immediate metro area (Chelsea, Revere, Hyde Park, South Boston) near 15" after that 5-7pm band. 

Some other nearby reports:

Somerville            19.9   733 PM  3/13  Social Media
   Revere                15.0   632 PM  3/13  

That's some pretty awesome stuff you guys are reporting/photographing.  Half those rates/totals would be a dream storm here in Iowa.  Around here, >foot totals are next to impossible and even ten-inch storms are rare.  Four inches counts as a good storm.   It's the ultimate nickel-dimer climate.  OceanStWx used to work here at DVN, so he knows how pathetic this area can be.

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I had about 25” in Auburn from that. I always thought the 40” was a bit high. I think Dover and Durham were around 35” IIRC from the PNS. 

My personal obs at the time was dam close. If I had measured properly to avoid the compaction I don't think 40 was out of the question. One day I'll come across the old school Kodak moment pics and scan them in. Either way it was epic!