Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

Bostonseminole

4 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

For every 10 storms around here it seems as though 6-7 underperform,  2-3 meet expectations, and 1 suprises and that might be generous.  I can't blame the western mass guys out of Springfield for being so conservative sometimes.  It's usually a zero sum game around here.  Either the CCB banding parks itself right overhead or we get a perfect deform for hours or things just crap out and it's arctic sand and when temps are marginal early and late season there is no margin for error. .  With most of the biggies it seems as though the beginning of the storm usually starts slow and you feel behind the 8 ball trying to catch up. Just about at climo for the year now so I guess I should be grateful for that.  

With the 4" I got today my total is close to 45. Climo per News 40 is 49" so we've got a shot at it if next week's rumor materializes.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Looks like it could be a top 10 type storm for ASH-MHT

Right now it's the third biggest I can remember behind the 2013 and 2015 blizzards. I've eclipsed my 18'' ruler but estimating 19'' as of now. Just passed Jan '11. 

Kind of a really sneaky biggie here. 

4 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

29.2/28 S+

13.4" since 10 am - total is up to 19.2" 

Nice, I was waiting for an update. Someone on NWS reported 13.4" but that seemed low, looks like we'll make 20" here. I suppose sitting under this band for 5 hours didn't hurt.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

495-128 band is just rotting and absolutely destroying a good chunk of interior E MA

Mar13_431pmRadar.gif

I didn't expect this much attention from band after band after band.

I've been in great spots for some of the absolute legends, but this is threatening to work its way into the upper registry of my favorites by the time it's done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, highways1 said:

Nice, I was waiting for an update. Someone on NWS reported 13.4" but that seemed low, looks like we'll make 20" here. I suppose sitting under this band for 5 hours didn't hurt.

yeah not sure why the reports are so low in the PNS .. in the 13"-15" range in the area. As it is, my depth from just this storm is ~16"-17". 

11 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

For every 10 storms around here it seems as though 6-7 underperform,  2-3 meet expectations, and 1 suprises and that might be generous.  I can't blame the western mass guys out of Springfield for being so conservative sometimes.  It's usually a zero sum game around here.  Either the CCB banding parks itself right overhead or we get a perfect deform for hours or things just crap out and it's arctic sand and when temps are marginal early and late season there is no margin for error. .  With most of the biggies it seems as though the beginning of the storm usually starts slow and you feel behind the 8 ball trying to catch up. Just about at climo for the year now so I guess I should be grateful for that.  

i would say its even a little worse than that but this is an excellent post, however we are supposed to average 50"/season and maybe you do in Enfield but a few miles to the north here I think its only 45 or so

we loose important qpf in the beginning of every storm while snow has begun north south east and west of here for reasons I don't fully understand, even with swfe and then we are downsloped or miss bands....too far n/nw for most ene specials etc but then often not far enough n/nw for more tucked events

when I first moved up here I couldn't figure out why TV mets were so conservative, I quickly understood after a season or 2

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

Yeah, it's halted its E movement so that we can't quite get into the meat of that band.  Just on the edge.

You'll get in on it soon...the 700-500 F-GEN looks solid over E MA right now...so I wouldn't expect a lot of weakening over the next couple hours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Just getting crushed in Lowell under 35dBZ returns. Starting to worry about the white pines. Boughs are nearly touching the ground, that's usually when the upper ones start to give. 

Wind is pretty light, 29.2/28.

What would you say you have on the ground? Saw on the news 15" in Dracut but I got 9.5" here in Methuen right on the Dracut line. Been sitting barely outside that heavy band all day but really starting to rip now. Wondering if the gradient is that tight from here to Nashua. 

20 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I can't believe you have 5, I have 3...perhaps 3.5 if i cleared a board etc...and downtown is even worse at 2....this is what I mean you are in a better spot than I am as you get more snow by 1-3 inches 9/10 times

when ineedsnow was out in agawam some storms he had 3-6 more than what I had, maybe even a bit more in the real big ones

Just now, KoalaBeer said:

What would you say you have on the ground? Saw on the news 15" in Dracut but I got 9.5" here in Methuen right on the Dracut line. Been sitting barely outside that heavy band all day but really starting to rip now. Wondering if the gradient is that tight from here to Nashua. 

I was taking measurements this AM when I was about 2-2.5" behind Ray. Haven't taken a legit measurement since then, but I'd wager we're pretty close to Ray since the returns had been generally heavier this afternoon. He's also only 6 or 7 miles to my southeast. I'm guessing about 18".

Ray, what are you at? 

• Like 1