• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Observations

Carvers Gap

Living north of Chattanooga in Soddy Daisy we saw 4.30 Inches of rain yesterday. Mostly in the evening. We had a lot of localized flooding in the area. my yard turned into a flowing river that cascaded down my driveway. That was the most rain I have seen in such a short period of time since living here. It may have happened similarly before but I just wasn't there to see it. Crazy night last night. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Backpacking overnighter from White Rocks, near Ewing, VA, back to Wilderness Road campground near Cumberland Gap.  Late summer = a variety of conditions.  Hot and muggy climbing up to White Rocks, but almost cool overnight near the Hensley Settlement.  Rain early in the AM and then a dense fog settling over the ridge top.  Fog + trees starting to lose leaves + those big spider webs we've all probably seen this time of year = Fall like feel on top, but still very much summer in the Powell Valley.

hensley late summer 2018.png

powell valley, late summer.png

• Like 2

Super Typhoon Mangkhut crashing into the Philippines driving the heights up into Korea with a trough into Northern China,i have my doubts the GEFS is going to be right  with a positive PNA it shows on the teleconnections towards the end of the month,looks to me a potential ridge in the east with a more negative PNA

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah...subsiding air (think that is the right term) on the edges of tropical systems is hot, especially if inland.  It was pretty toasty here before Florence’s remanants and the drizzle set in.  It is like northwest flow - summer style.  Bands of drizzle are pinwheeling in.  Pretty interesting.  

That’s good to know!  Seems like everyday its been inching it’s way a little warmer/humid, I think Thursday is the last day of the unbearable stuff any then we start to get into more manageable temps.  It is interesting how Florence is having such a large effect, even if it’s not related to wind and rain.  How many days have those bands been pinwheeling in now?

Yes subsidence esp. northwest of tropical systems is a pressure cooker. Florence then decided to act like a warm front and drag in humidity all over as it lifted north. Seems to get any dry air benefit from a 'cane, it needs to ride up the coast and tap into cooler air to our north as it goes hybrid. Florence never really went hybrid because the polar front basically AWOL from the eastern CONUS so late in Sept.

Of course it found a quasi-dry slot to tornado Richmond, but any hybrid characteristics were too little too late for humidity relief here. Relentless...

• Like 1

Picked up about an inch of rain last night, had a good thunderstorm to go along with it.  Temps are finally bearable at a nice 79 degrees.  Looks like it’s gonna be wet on the west side of the forum for the next few days.  Supposed to pick up some heavy rainfall later today and tomorrow as well.  Looks like OKC got hit pretty good yesterday from this same pattern.  Next ten days look beautiful temperature wise, lots of rain possibilities though.  Typical fall pattern looks to be coming in regards to the heavy rain.  Seems like every year around this time frame we get some extensive rains!

6 hours ago, MattPetrulli said:

Nice and sunny out currently, though pretty hot. 86 degrees with a dew of 70 on my PWS for a heat index of 90 degrees. So much for fall. 

I feel your pain buddy, I was dealing with that heat the last two weeks in West TN.  Today it’s wet with temps around 75.  Had some pretty extensive rainfall though, looks like more this evening as well.  Hope that heat budges for you guys out east soon.  If this rain makes it across the state then I anticipate you’ll get some cooler temps.