• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Observations

Carvers Gap

NWS is beating MOS, which is the goal. Yes @jaxjagman the models have been awful. Timing thunderstorms has been a whip too. CAMs have actually degraded toward midday. I believe they overweight existing clouds/precip. Then CAMs blow up midday MCSs that do not happen until late afternoon and evening. Silver lining is job security for human forecasters!

• Like 2

Wednesday evening Chattanooga had a lightning show like something from the Plains or even Southwest. Lightning was vivid and frequent. A couple occasions continuous lightning was observed for a few minutes. Thunder was fairly loud but the light show took the trophy. 

Looks like the modest flow aloft will depart starting Friday. By the weekend a more typical summer pop-up storm regime should prevail, with no severe weather. It's been an interesting week of lightning and shelfies.

• Like 2

I was camping at lake Allatoona in north GA from last Saturday though Thursday.  The storms were all around us but we generally managed to get lucky with no hail or extreme wind at our location.  The light show was friggin amazing.  At one point a storm cloud was shooting bolts at the full moon.  Epic stuff.

• Like 3

A NW flow seems to be hitting a E flow in the middle of the eastern valley today and creating a little boundary. Hopefully this can help pop a few storms and bring some of us a little cooling rain as the day wears on. Downsloping off the plateau and Smokies probably isn't helping this, but still will be interested to see if it produces anything:

2018-07-05_12-24-04.jpg

• Like 1

Somehow my lawn got blanked the last 4 days, despite lots of thunderstorms Fri/Sat. Question is whether to water this week or hope it holds on until the next front.

On the bright side a fairly pure tropical airmass has taken over and the sky is beautiful deep blue. Hopefully it lasts.

8 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

On the bright side a fairly pure tropical airmass has taken over and the sky is beautiful deep blue. Hopefully it lasts

It has been beautiful! Got some great pics from the higher elevations (some of the best visibility I've ever experienced in the summer) yesterday and Midnight Hole in the Smokies was running at just the right level for some fun.  Camped at Big Creek and the air felt amazing for early July. 

The top pic is Midnight Hole and the bottom one is Roan Mt. looking toward Mt. Mitchell. 

midnight hole.jpg1988929359_roanmountain.jpg.29bb2477afda75c4cd18d32bd4652bea.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Documented one of my better rainbows the last several years here in Chattanooga, East Brainerd, Thursday July 19. Evening rainbow lasted almost an hour from 7 to 8 Eastern Time. Double rainbow was present most of the time. Occasionally supernumerary arcs showed up, the bands immediately below and attached to the primary rainbow.

20180719_191244_supernumerary_arcs.thumb.jpg.40368dfdfb50c3750737a69486e8e30a.jpg

20180719_191136_arc_close.thumb.jpg.5ee47e978832afb2f3e4963c4cc69b59.jpg

• Like 5

Took a trip up to High Knob and Devil's Bathtub yesterday.  Bathtub was very crowded so couldn't get a good picture of it. Great temperature and breeze on top of High Knob, some nice pictures, and a time lapse of some convection https://imgur.com/gallery/hMy7uHP 

Convection time lapse is looking NE

Picture one is looking SE and Picture two is looking WSW

high knob se.jpg

high knob wsw.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Took a trip up to High Knob and Devil's Bathtub yesterday.  Bathtub was very crowded so couldn't get a good picture of it. Great temperature and breeze on top of High Knob, some nice pictures, and a time lapse of some convection https://imgur.com/gallery/hMy7uHP 

Convection time lapse is looking NE

Picture one is looking SE and Picture two is looking WSW

Ahh, I believe I was under the storm during or after your convection timelapse. The weather yesterday was all over the place. It seemed not an hour or two would go by without sunshine and rainfall.

• Like 1

Not really a weather observation but an observation nonetheless... I was looking into the night sky off the balcony of our vacation condo at Topsail Beach tonight gazing at the Moon when I noticed one of the planets to the upper right of the Moon. It appeared bright in the sky and its identification as a planet was easy because it did not twinkle. One brief internet search later I identify the planet as Mars and to beat it all the red planet is making it closest approach since 2005! Fascinated my dad and I picked up our old pair of binoculars and brought them out to view it and to our surprise although it was a struggle to make out we could view the actual surface of Mars beyond it being a single point of orange-reddish light. Although we couldn't make out anything it had a somewhat definite surface. Apparently it won't be as close as it was tonight until 2287 according to this article. https://www.space.com/41329-mars-closest-to-earth-2018.html

• Like 3

Yes Mars is at/near opposition which puts it relatively close to Earth. Sure enough one should be able to see dark spots thru a telescope, the different soil of large mountains. Southern ice cap should show up too. However both are very muted due to a planet wide dust storm on Mars. So, even on other planets the weather is 2018-ing,..

On 8/1/2018 at 12:54 AM, BlunderStorm said:

Not really a weather observation but an observation nonetheless... I was looking into the night sky off the balcony of our vacation condo at Topsail Beach tonight gazing at the Moon when I noticed one of the planets to the upper right of the Moon. It appeared bright in the sky and its identification as a planet was easy because it did not twinkle. One brief internet search later I identify the planet as Mars and to beat it all the red planet is making it closest approach since 2005! Fascinated my dad and I picked up our old pair of binoculars and brought them out to view it and to our surprise although it was a struggle to make out we could view the actual surface of Mars beyond it being a single point of orange-reddish light. Although we couldn't make out anything it had a somewhat definite surface. Apparently it won't be as close as it was tonight until 2287 according to this article. https://www.space.com/41329-mars-closest-to-earth-2018.html

Mars viewing should remain good for a few weeks. Even if not in perfect opposition it remains relatively close. We can hope the Mars dust storm abates. Oh yeah East Tennessee skies need to clear out too, lol!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...