Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Observations

Carvers Gap

28 minutes ago, EastKnox said:

I don't know if the attached video will be viewable, but current radar is interesting to me- west to east motion on the plateau with south to north motion in the Apps.

Screen Record 04 (Converted).mov

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Good catch, pivot relatively close to the valley... looks like some topographic effects causing the east to west movement to slow..??

Let me know if posting these GIFs are giving people issues loading the page

• Like 1

GIFs causing no problems here. 

On an observations note, apparently the rain is starting to take its toll. There was a small landslide on highway 68 between Spring City, TN and Grandview, TN (this is a state highway from the Valley to the Plateau). The road is now closed.  Image taken from 105.7 News facebook page.

2018-04-24_16-54-31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

On an observations note, apparently the rain is starting to take its toll. There was a small landslide on highway 68 between Spring City, TN and Grandview, TN (this is a state highway from the Valley to the Plateau). The road is now closed.  Image taken from 105.7 News facebook page.

2018-04-24_16-54-31.jpg

Potholes are always a pain in the spring time.  Looks like they let that one go or too long.  :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Potholes are always a pain in the spring time.  Looks like they let that one go or too long.  :D

On 4/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

2018-04-24_16-54-31.jpg

Looking at the trees upstream, may not be the last of this slide haha

image.png.c5695d84f8be14e875a7914a039d8df5.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Knoxtron said:

Looking at the trees upstream, may not be the last of this slide haha

image.png.c5695d84f8be14e875a7914a039d8df5.png

Rotational slump?  If so, that is going to be an absolute bear to fix.  Probably is just the road bed giving way.  If it was an ongoing problem, those tree trunks would look like zig zags as they lean, straighten, lean, and straighten again due to the ground sliding.  Either way, tough job ahead to stabilize that long term.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, *Flash* said:

Got a couple juicy stats of the day for BNA:

1) For the FMA 3 month period, outside of this year, the only other time each month averaged in the 50's was 1976.

5ae31860c8dc7_FMATT.png.e5de42d069c7948121caf11097b0b03c.png

2) Based on 4/27-4/30 temp projections, the FMA 3 month period will also set a new record (by a wide margin) for lowest mean temp spread between February and April.

5ae318d791188_FMATT2.png.3f0d005066f913cd456b617c80a71732.png

If you're a snow/severe weather enthusiast, obviously you want to see the exact opposite happen. On the bright side (pun intended), at least we got a rare rainless week ahead. ^_^

Nice work,this is awesome,this must have taken some time to figure out?Good to see though Mid Tn posters with contributions to our board and our area.Don't stop now..lol

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2018 at 7:11 AM, Carvers Gap said:

Rotational slump?  If so, that is going to be an absolute bear to fix.  Probably is just the road bed giving way.  If it was an ongoing problem, those tree trunks would look like zig zags as they lean, straighten, lean, and straighten again due to the ground sliding.  Either way, tough job ahead to stabilize that long term.

Based on my experience as a geotechical consultant the majority of our slope failures (in fine grained material) are rotational slump. The natural topography is very steep in that bend and roadway benching/cutting changes the driving wedge vs resisting wedge and friction dynamic.  Young trees in nearly unstable steep topography will usually have gradual bends associated with long term creep (very shallow seated movement but is generally continual movement). You're right about zigzag of the trees of on very long term rotational slump that stops and goes every few years, but we'd be talking muuuch bigger old growth trees to see that yet.

Either way, lots of options to fix but likely not cost effective to do much stabilization.  Likely will always be a nuisance spot 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Had plans to shoot some photos using evening sun today, so of course the area is just socked in thick with clouds even though high pressure is in control and skies are clear in every direction from the Northern half of the Plateau/SEKY. Not sure why the Cumberlands generate so many clouds.

Yeah, was noticing that in Roane County today.  Some were so ominous looking and I was unable to check any weather info, that I got my hopes up for a passing shower. 

• Like 1

When I saw the IR satellite this AM and cold cloud tops, I was optimistic. I wonder if the dry air and subsidence wrapping around the Bahamas upper low is hurting too, along with the convection in Mexico you point out? Some convection popping up north of Knoxville ATTM, hopefully we can get a random cell to knock the pollen down for a while and wash the cars. 

Interested to see what this little upper low does as it  drops in tomorrow afternoon and overnight. If no rain today, hopefully then.

Looking like a damp derby. 

Interesting radar this afternoon too.  Little mesoscale? low ambling up through Pickett and Fentress counties and seems to be influencing some storms to move SE -> NW, while other mechanisms are pushing other storms SSW -> NNE: 

https://imgur.com/K421vgw

I got a quick shower near downtown Knox, but I think it only smeared the pollen a bit

Caught this pic of the shower/ storm as it passed to the north:

enkKE1l.jpg

Cant catch a break with rain in Louisville TN, barely got 0.2" over the weekend, just making the pollen mad :)

Last 30-day percent of normal precipitation map... quite a cutoff over the central east Tennessee Valley

image.png.f66ce65b004d87866d086234b862fd89.png

Cool Gif of the storms rolling thru the valley last night. Some of the thunderheads must have gone pretty high, taller clouds definitely caught a lot of sunlight at sunset.

giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/7ThBVIjSZ5fkP8fCsc/giphy.gif

• Thanks 2

Kind of surprised MRX didn't go ahead and warn this cell over portions of Abingdon, Va. 45-50k tops with nickel-quarter sized hail and intense lightning.

Edit: Looks like they did issue an special advisory earlier at 3:14 EDT for the training cells over that area which was just renewed through 5:15PM for frequent lightning, dime-sized hail and 40mph winds.

9b9d2c05331be56ea1f961c8f6370543.gif

• Like 1