• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Observations

Carvers Gap

Just had a heavy rain shower mixed with big fat wet snowflakes move through! It transitioned to mostly all snow at the tail end. This is definitely the latest that I’ve ever seen snow. Then a freeze warning for my area tonight. Just hard to believe that March and April have produced this much winter weather

A few snow flakes are flying outside in Honaker at the moment. It has to end soon, today is most likely the last snow of the season although there is the small likelihood of snow on the 20th. Beyond that taking my own words with a grain of salt I think we are in the clear for winter weather til October barring nuclear winter, a catastrophic volcanic eruption, or some other major unforeseen event that would affect our weather. I was conflicted over whether or not a trace of snow counted if it was only falling with nothing sticking but after reading over the definition it in fact does seem to be. Fortunately whenever it did snow it did at the very least stick for a time for me to record it as a trace so my records remained legitimate up until the last event a week ago which I only listed as a trace after the fact.  

A good dusting of snow has settled on the ground in the past 40 minutes. At times the snow fell pretty heavily and during the snowfall the temperatures dropped from 34 to 29 as of now. 1 or 2 more squalls and I may have something measurable. I might post a few pictures later but I have to compress them first. What a wild spring!

• Like 4

The snow continues at a steady pace here. The lower elevations have a dusting at around 12-1300 feet. 1750 which is my area, is up to around 2 inches and I'd guess 3.5 to 4 above 2500 where temps are in the 20s right now.  The flow is almost due west and it's causing Cross Mountain enhancement as the air gets forced up by the 3600 foot peak. It's a microclimate here where areas can get both NW flow and W flow snow.  There are even N flow areas here as Cross Mountain runs north to south and Pine, Black and Walnut mountain run SW to NE and moisture gets wrung out from several directions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Downsloping winds = dry but useless days.

Sunday night was absolutely wild. We were at a B&B in rural Sevier County and I awoke to the distinctive sound of our well-built structure being tested by extremely strong gusts. At breakfast the following morning, another guest claimed to have measured a gust of 71 mph with his handheld anemometer. Take that for what it's worth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1