• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Observations

Carvers Gap

Gradually my snow totals for the season have risen to around average. I would determine the snow depth by measuring in the middle of the yard most of the time. If the snow depth remained the same for roughly hour I recorded it and if it started to snow again I would add to it until taking a measurement at midnight. Sure there wasn't a blockbuster winter storm this season for me but each event slowly added up with "Miraculous March" making up for "Fabulous February"! :lol: If I were to add all my snow for the season counting my recording of dustings as 0.1" and traces as 0.01 it would be 21.47" if it doesn't snow again. All in all with everything accounted for this season wasn't bad after all. US climate data has Lebanon at only 11" and Richlands at 17" which I struggle to believe for a second. I really don't know what the average annual snowfall is here though so I guesstimate it's somewhere between 20" to 28".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it's said conversation encourages conversation. This morning I was surprised to be met with mild air 56 to be exact as I left home, it's a welcome change but on the flip side of the coin the euro doesn't want to let go of winter which I'm also fine with. I'll take anything over the 40s with rain.

• Like 1

Hit 80° here briefly in places around KTRI this afternoon. Quite sunny and felt very Spring-like. Steady SSW surface flow ahead of the front. Could be some pretty good winds overnight as the front passes through and an isolated thunderstorm or two. Branches and general yard debris should make for fun landscaping this weekend.

Nice thunderstorm rolling in through Knoxville this morning. Looking back, not much depicted on the models, although the latest HRRR sort of has it, but then again it probably initialized with it already developing. The storm and its tiny kin folk running from Loudon county north aren't that large, but probably the most thunder I've heard from a storm this year. 

• Like 1

It's raw out there, temp has fallen through the 30s today. The models whiffed majorly on the precip/cold meeting until the very short range when they picked up on it. Still managed a few snow showers and that's not too bad for April 7th. May manage a few more Sunday night into Monday morning. After that I think the snow threat is over until the usual time next fall. Still, it's crazy that we struggle so many seasons to get snow here, but snow can fall in the state every month except June, July and August and add September to that and snow has fallen in every other month in the below 5000 feet regions.

• Like 1

Finally getting a few medium sized snowflakes mixed in with the rain near downtown Knoxville. It has been trying so hard here. I drove out for a bit and I'm sure all of you know that ice crystal splat that wet snow has on the windshield... well the rain was splatting with individual drops where the crystals must have been a few hundred feet up. 

• Like 4

Fires in N. Georgia really hazing up the S / SW sky here in Knoxville. Figured we'd had enough rain to drown any chance of something like that, but the air was really dry today and it was windy. 

Apologies, should also add I hope all are ok.

As a side note, these fires really show up on NT microphysics setting on GOES 16. Not totally sure that's what it is depicting, but it really seems that way

That's what I thought too when I first noticed the haze. I couldn't believe there'd be any fire danger after the spring the area has had and maybe it is some other sort of fire other than a forest fire, but when I looked at GOES 16 visible it looked just like a fire.  Whatever they are, they didn't start until about noon - 2 PM yesterday so that may be why you didn't see anything. 

Whatever they are I'm glad it's going to rain this weekend in the area. 

fires 4:12:18.jpg