• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Observations

Carvers Gap

2in now!! Unbelievable. An incredibly heavy band just set up right on top of me and literally as I was coming back from dropping off the kids at school I went from wet roads to 1/2in of snow on the roads in just a few miles getting back to the house. 

2E24EFEE-BCA0-4E59-AE47-5294297C2944.jpeg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

2in now!! Unbelievable. An incredibly heavy band just set up right on top of me and literally as I was coming back from dropping off the kids at school I went from wet roads to 1/2in of snow on the roads in just a few miles getting back to the house. 

2E24EFEE-BCA0-4E59-AE47-5294297C2944.jpeg

That is awesome.  My inlaws live in the area...they have done pretty well this month.

• Like 1

It's a wintry day, I've received another inch of snow since this morning on raised surfaces and it's still snowing steadily in the NW flow. The ground didn't really add much due to melting from below. But all in all, 4.5 inches of accumulation on raised surfaces. The GFS pretty much nailed this one for me and did it a week ago, but did lose it briefly before coming back with it a few days ago.

• Like 1

It never reached freezing here it held at 31 through the afternoon. It is now 30 the snow depth has remained the same with new snow accumulating and old snow melting beneath. I can't say it definitively yet though all in all the system has under performed here. I'm glad people with a more hostile climo got a surprise with this one and really any snow this time of year is a win in my book! 

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like SWVA folks are getting some snow this am, any reports up that way? Also if I'm reading Correlation Coefficient correctly (maybe not) looks like Tri could be seeing some snow as of 8 am ish

Snow is mixed with light rain here currently. The CC line has moved back and forth over past 30 minutes. I’m just too far south for this event. 35 degrees and another “what could of been” storm. What are you seeing BlunderStorm?

We've had some nice snow near downtown Knoxville, but that extra urban heat definitely takes its toll on anything's ability to stick. Not really disappointed for myself, but in fact happy that many of you are getting snow!

If anyone wants to see something unique, go to http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=MRX-N0Q-1-200  this AM before the data expires and watch across north Knox county.  There some weird mesoscale band that seems to set up after the flow turns as the front comes through yesterday afternoon and runs W to E from maybe Powell toward House Mountain. I've included an image that shows a piece of it and what to look for, but it really isn't evident until you watch the 200 image loop a couple of times. It seems to only last as long as the precip is flowing from W to E. 

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on this...

5ab23241deedb_3_21radarband.jpg.75ec0a886b855e55ea6e82085e5d9628.jpg

I live in Halls and got under this enhancement. At 12:30am I woke up and it was snowing. I went back to bed but woke up to Todd Howell tweeting at 2:30am that it had just started snowing at Ch10. That’s 2 hours at least it took for snow to make it to Knoxville from my house and it’s a 15min drive. So at 2:30 I get up to look outside and we had at least an inch and it was snowing as hard as I’ve seen in a while. Went back to bed and when I woke up at 6 for work, at least have of the snow had melted on the grass but on my glass patio table I measured 1.5” inches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in Halls and got under this enhancement. At 12:30am I woke up and it was snowing. I went back to bed but woke up to Todd Howell tweeting at 2:30am that it had just started snowing at Ch10. That’s 2 hours at least it took for snow to make it to Knoxville from my house and it’s a 15min drive. So at 2:30 I get up to look outside and we had at least an inch and it was snowing as hard as I’ve seen in a while. Went back to bed and when I woke up at 6 for work, at least have of the snow had melted on the grass but on my glass patio table I measured 1.5” inches.

Just to add.... at 2 o’clock in the afternoon I was in the Copper Ridge area of North Knox Co. At my house 1k feet all of the snow was gone but just a 5 mile drive to that area and 300-400ft higher in elevation the snow was still on the ground and in the trees.

9 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Just to add.... at 2 o’clock in the afternoon I was in the Copper Ridge area of North Knox Co. At my house 1k feet all of the snow was gone but just a 5 mile drive to that area and 300-400ft higher in elevation the snow was still on the ground and in the trees.

I had to drive north to Oak Ridge that morning and it was amazing how different that little swath looked compared to surrounding areas. Also, even 100 feet made a difference that morning, driving through the gap in Sharp's Ridge, there was snow on everything on the ridge, but the cut off was almost exactly at the bottom. 

Heavy snow none sticking to the roads but easily collecting on the already white ground it is hard to say when the snow depth will reach its maximum extent before melting becomes the dominant force. Currently it is 33 degrees with calm winds with roughly 2 inches of snow on the ground. March has really made up for February for snow. UPDATE: As of 12:14 conditions have remained pretty much the same all that is falling is still snow. UPDATE 2: This snow is at least advisory material if not winter storm warning material if it keeps up.

• Like 2

Getting a little hopeful for you @BlunderStorm , at least through early afternoon.  Even though warm air advection is apparent on SPC mesoscale analysis, it doesn't seem quite as pronounced at 850mb the further southeast you go along the boundary.  In fact, the correlation coefficient on the Jackson, KY radar http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=JKL-N0C-1-24 seems to show the rain/ snow line meandering southward, although stalling now a bit.  Precip. rates in what's heading your way look good, so I wonder how this will play out since the more impactful warm nose looks to be still up toward Louisville. 

• Like 3

Getting a little hopeful for you [mention=15050]BlunderStorm[/mention] , at least through early afternoon.  Even though warm air advection is apparent on SPC mesoscale analysis, it doesn't seem quite as pronounced at 850mb the further southeast you go along the boundary.  In fact, the correlation coefficient on the Jackson, KY radar http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=JKL-N0C-1-24 seems to show the rain/ snow line meandering southward, although stalling now a bit.  Precip. rates in what's heading your way look good, so I wonder how this will play out since the more impactful warm nose looks to be still up toward Louisville. 

Upper E Tennessee to me seems to hold the cold in much longer than expected. I’m guessing the way the Cumberland’s meet the Apps makes a road block.

• Like 2

And on Kentucky's post too, some decent hail evident south for a time of Knoxville on NEXRAD's VIL product.  Not sure how to use it to figure out hail size, but a small cell flared up for a bit.  If there are that many hail producing cells in KY, even if it isn't large hail, wonder if they'll hold on into the TN valley? Image is from 4:17 PM, 3/24/18

VIL NEXRAD .jpg